who to contact when you accept offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

who to contact when you accept offer

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:11 pm

i know that you are supposed to notify the recruiting manager that you accepted the offer, but is it protocol to also contact people you interviewed with (esp the interviewer who called and gave you the offer)? thank you

Sauer Grapes

Re: who to contact when you accept offer

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:39 pm

I say you should contact recruiting, whomever called to give you the offer and anyone else that made it a point to reach out to you. I don't think contacting every interviewer is necessary.

It might make sense to contact the OCI interviewer if they don't fit any of the above, but just use your best judgment.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:51 pm

definitely call the hiring partner/head of the hiring committee.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:53 pm

would you call the hiring partner and the head or recruiting, or just the hiring partner?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:55 pm

You contact whoever gave you the offer. No?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Bankhead wrote:You contact whoever gave you the offer. No?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:03 pm

but what if the offer letter was sent by the hiring partner but the OCI interviewer made the call?

dru617

Postby dru617 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:27 pm

i don't mean to be a dick, but jesus christ. anyone who has this much trouble figuring out how to accept a summer job offer does not deserve to be put on a path that could conceivably lead to a permanent position practicing law and representing clients.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:32 pm

dru617 wrote:i don't mean to be a dick, but jesus christ. anyone who has this much trouble figuring out how to accept a summer job offer does not deserve to be put on a path that could conceivably lead to a permanent position practicing law and representing clients.

+1.

This is common sense. Contact the person whose name is on the offer letter. This will usually be the hiring partner or the recruiting director. They are the ones who actually keep track of who accepted and who didn't.

As a courtesy, thank the person who called you + anyone else who showed an interest in you. "I already spoke with Mr. Recruiting Director, but I just wanted to let you know I accepted the offer and am looking forward to working with Big Faceless Law Firm next summer!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:16 pm

dru...obviously i do deserve offers, since i have many of them...i just really like the firm that i picked and i hope for a full time offer there, so i want to make sure i am doing everything right

also, no one on this site requires you to comment if you do not like the substance of the thread. you can simply not read it, or say nothing.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:21 pm

rayiner wrote:Contact the person whose name is on the offer letter. This will usually be the hiring partner or the recruiting director. They are the ones who actually keep track of who accepted and who didn't.

As a courtesy, thank the person who called you + anyone else who showed an interest in you. "I already spoke with Mr. Recruiting Director, but I just wanted to let you know I accepted the offer and am looking forward to working with Big Faceless Law Firm next summer!"

This is the right answer.

But it's a valid question. People reach 2L year with varying levels of experience.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:38 pm

spondee wrote:
rayiner wrote:Contact the person whose name is on the offer letter. This will usually be the hiring partner or the recruiting director. They are the ones who actually keep track of who accepted and who didn't.

This is the right answer.

But it's a valid question. People reach 2L year with varying levels of experience common sense.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
also, no one on this site requires you to comment if you do not like the substance of the thread. you can simply not read it, or say nothing.

i agree that the site gives me these options. however, the moderators on this site do require YOU to refrain from posting anonymously unless you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc. i hardly think this thread or the content of anyone's posts herein qualifies as such. just sayin...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:28 pm

OP here. I dont want firms to know I am about to accept an offer in the event that I change my mind tonight. If the mod thinks this is a bad reason then please lock this thread.

Dru, I dont believe that you are a mod. If you are, lock it up. If not, it isnt up to you. But eh, whatever, if you get your kicks spending your night calling out people for questions that you deem stupid, thats okay. I dont care enough to ruin your fun, so keep at it!

tome

Postby tome » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:33 am

Give the guy a break. His attention to detail and desire to dot his i's and cross his t's is probably part of what got him the offer in the first place. There are lots of random bits of protocol in the legal profession that one would assume were otherwise without instruction. Why gives this guy shit because he wants to make sure this is not one of those situations? Hand off the e-peen ppl.

Return to “Legal Employment”