. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kohinoor

Gold

Re: emailing superstar at my 2L firm

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:10 pm

This strikes me as really hit or miss. Some partners are truly very gregarious and would eat this kind of stuff up and, as here, put your on their radar for positive things in the future. Other partners don't like being bothered, even by associates, unless it is necessary and would be flabbergasted and annoyed at getting an email from a future summer associate spouting platitudes. If you think the legal field is full of the first guy, what he did was credited. If you think its full of the second guy, don't randomly email a partner to tell him you have a man-crush on him.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Kohinoor wrote:This strikes me as really hit or miss. Some partners are truly very gregarious and would eat this kind of stuff up and, as here, put your on their radar for positive things in the future. Other partners don't like being bothered, even by associates, unless it is necessary and would be flabbergasted and annoyed at getting an email from a future summer associate spouting platitudes. If you think the legal field is full of the first guy, what he did was credited. If you think its full of the second guy, don't randomly email a partner to tell him you have a man-crush on him.
Or you take a chance. Worst case scenario is he thinks you're overly ambitious and doesn't respond.

How often do old rich people start their stories with "I got here by sitting on my ass and waiting for opportunities to come to me because I was terrified of taking a small risk"?

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:18 pm

am i the only one who thinks this is completely weird. summer associate sends email to big shot partner that hes never met and then gets invited over to his place for dinner less than an hour afterwards? yea taking initiative is one thing, but this is not normal human interaction.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 pm

ruski wrote:am i the only one who thinks this is completely weird. summer associate sends email to big shot partner that hes never met and then gets invited over to his place for dinner less than an hour afterwards? yea taking initiative is one thing, but this is not normal human interaction.
It doesn't actually seem that strange. The more surprising thing would be if the dinner ever happens.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:27 pm

it is really strange behavior. The person definitely could reciprocate and welcome this and want to hang out all winter long with this person. The trouble is that is not the type of firm person you want to get close to. It is a better idea to work for more well adjusted people. If this person is well adjusted then he is going to think the OP is a moron.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Objection wrote:
Or you take a chance. Worst case scenario is he thinks you're overly ambitious and doesn't respond.
This isn't the worst case scenario. Worst case scenario is that he makes a snap judgement about you being a douchebag that follows you for the rest of the time at the firm, which may now be substantially less than before. First impressions are EXTREMELY important.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Objection wrote:
This isn't the worst case scenario. Worst case scenario is that he makes a snap judgement about you being a douchebag that follows you for the rest of the time at the firm, which may now be substantially less than before. First impressions are EXTREMELY important.
Or he could slip and die on the street on his first walk to work and never work there at all. Screwing the government of his 200k in loans which is the exact amount that the government needed to not fall into complete financial shambles and the country falls into anarchy, nukes get launched and the world ends.

The only real worst case scenario is the partner/whoever looks at the email and says "quit bothering me" and deletes it from his inbox promptly forgetting the name.

Do you honestly think the partner has the time, energy or cares enough to launch a personal vendetta based on a well meaning email? REALLY? Chances are in a big firm, he will never even work on the same floor as that partner.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:44 pm

MrAnon wrote:it is really strange behavior. The person definitely could reciprocate and welcome this and want to hang out all winter long with this person. The trouble is that is not the type of firm person you want to get close to. It is a better idea to work for more well adjusted people. If this person is well adjusted then he is going to think the OP is a moron.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen here. Partially because of your exaggeration, but mostly because the sentiment is just silly.

You don't think the "big shots" are aware that they're big shots? And that they inspire lots of younger employees? You don't think that many of them appreciate one of the people whom they inspire showing initiative and reaching out to them, especially if they work at the same place?

You don't think that the majority of them are neutral about this, at worst?

The OP clearly looks up to this person. The OP presumably went to the firm for the possibility of working with this person. The OP attempted to take control of his destiny immediately and reach out to this person. If you don't think that such initiative is almost universally respected, you're nuts.
Quick version:

"Dear [Superstar]

My name is Employee. I've recently accepted a summer associate position with Firm. I'm very excited, and look forward to starting in [month]. I'm particularly interested in [whatever superstar works in], and the work you've done in [that field] [is awesome/has inspired me/whatever]. If at all possible, I would greatly appreciate any opportunity to be able to work with you this summer. [Add other fluff so the conclusion isn't as jarring.]

Thank you for your time. I hope all is well.

Sincerely,
Employee"

The above could be fine tuned, but you get the gist. Most "well-adjusted" people aren't going to take that as being douchebaggy. Ambitious? Definitely. Overly ambitious? Perhaps. You don't think superstar got where he is by being similarly ambitious? Come on, man.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Well I guess we have figured out why people are always whining about how Big Law is just doc review, they don't have the balls to talk to people and get the good work. Just keep waiting for the exciting stuff to drop into your lap, that's a surefire way to success.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:59 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Objection wrote:
Or he could slip and die on the street on his first walk to work and never work there at all. Screwing the government of his 200k in loans which is the exact amount that the government needed to not fall into complete financial shambles and the country falls into anarchy, nukes get launched and the world ends.

The only real worst case scenario is the partner/whoever looks at the email and says "quit bothering me" and deletes it from his inbox promptly forgetting the name.

Do you honestly think the partner has the time, energy or cares enough to launch a personal vendetta based on a well meaning email? REALLY? Chances are in a big firm, he will never even work on the same floor as that partner.
Do I think it's likely? No. Do I think it is could happen, and is therefore the worst case scenario? Yes.

MrAnon

Gold

Re: .

Post by MrAnon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:06 pm

99% of associates do not sit around just hoping for plum assignments to be handed to them. To be sure a few slackers do. But they figure out who is important in the firm, who has work and assignments, etc. There is a tried and true way to do this, through social events and opportunities that invariably pop up at work. That is how most associates will come to know this "superstar". When the OP meets him he'll say "Oh, you're the guy who send me the email. Chuckles will likely ensue. Other associates will say "what?" People will want details. Word will get around.

what is a law firm superstar anyway? Only a handful of lawyers have ever been so memorable. Clarence Darrow comes to mind. F. Lee Bailey. Only a handful of names are part of common language.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:07 pm

MrAnon wrote:99% of associates do not sit around just hoping for plum assignments to be handed to them. To be sure a few slackers do. But they figure out who is important in the firm, who has work and assignments, etc. There is a tried and true way to do this, through social events and opportunities that invariably pop up at work. That is how most associates will come to know this "superstar". When the OP meets him he'll say "Oh, you're the guy who send me the email. Chuckles will likely ensue. Other associates will say "what?" People will want details. Word will get around.

What is a law firm superstar anyway? Only a handful of lawyers have ever been so memorable. Clarence Darrow comes to mind. F. Lee Bailey. Only a handful of names are part of common language.

Are you serious with the first paragraph or a flame?

For your sake, I hope you're a flame. That is paranoia taken to a new extreme.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:09 pm

You can make worst case scenarios that just keep getting worse and worse. How about the partner spends time reading the email he should have spent on a case, the case doesn't get registered for trial on time and the partner is sued for negligence. He loses his license and the firm loses his clients. His clients were the biggest and most meaningful to the firm forcing the firm into bankruptcy... etc etc etc.

What we are looking for are REASONABLE worst case scenarios. The most reasonable worst case scenario is the person deletes the email.

I would recommend anyone who really wants a good experience in any job to actively seek out work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Objection wrote:
MrAnon wrote:99% of associates do not sit around just hoping for plum assignments to be handed to them. To be sure a few slackers do. But they figure out who is important in the firm, who has work and assignments, etc. There is a tried and true way to do this, through social events and opportunities that invariably pop up at work. That is how most associates will come to know this "superstar". When the OP meets him he'll say "Oh, you're the guy who send me the email. Chuckles will likely ensue. Other associates will say "what?" People will want details. Word will get around.

What is a law firm superstar anyway? Only a handful of lawyers have ever been so memorable. Clarence Darrow comes to mind. F. Lee Bailey. Only a handful of names are part of common language.

Are you serious with the first paragraph or a flame?

For your sake, I hope you're a flame. That is paranoia taken to a new extreme.
No way man, Clarence Darrow NEVER sought out the best of the best to try to work under them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”