(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: emailing superstar at my 2L firm

Postby 270910 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:46 pm

If you've never had any interaction with the person, I can't imagine it would come across as anything but very weird and annoying.

Postby 12262010 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:50 pm

wtf is wrong with people

Postby 270910 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:51 pm

booyakasha wrote:wtf is wrong with people

Hi booyakasha! Welcome to TLS! : )

Postby 12262010 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:52 pm

disco_barred wrote:
booyakasha wrote:wtf is wrong with people

Hi booyakasha! Welcome to TLS! : )

:lol:

I hate humanity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is this bad form? just wanted to tell him i was very excited about joining his firm. i'm totally aware that this sounds 2L SA gunnerish, but i'm frankly not AIMING to be assigned on a project with him, he's a but-for cause of me picking this firm, and I just want to say hello.

hah, probably most of the junior associates have never worked with him.

I have to avoidimpulses like this. Don't do it. Go see him during the summer. Curb your enthusiasm for the time being.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:16 pm

hah, i know 1 guy in this past SA class who got to work with a superstar by doing EXACTLY this, that PLUS he basically knocked on the superstars door during week 1 to say hello, and said he was available to work for him. He was the only one in our class who got to sit in on a deposition. What's funny is he's a really pleasant guy to be around, not gunnerish at all, but I sure as hell envied him because I was getting assignments from mid-level associates, with no partner face time whatsoever, for whatever that's worth.

Judgment call. In the end, becoming a successful lawyer is about so much more than being a high quality litigator, as counterintuitive as that sounds. Partners in all law firms work in clicks, midlevels work with the same cluster of partners, young associates pretty much are the same way, whoever you get along with naturally - you work with more and more.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm not going to say one way or the other, but I do think if OP goes this route, the e-mail should be peppered with hah's, lol's, and words in all CAPS. That way, he knows you're serious, but also relaxed and fun.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:34 pm

doyleoil wrote:I'm not going to say one way or the other, but I do think if OP goes this route, the e-mail should be peppered with hah's, lol's, and words in all CAPS. That way, he knows you're serious, but also relaxed and fun.

lol, hah, THAT'S FUNNY, lol.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
doyleoil wrote:I'm not going to say one way or the other, but I do think if OP goes this route, the e-mail should be peppered with hah's, lol's, and words in all CAPS. That way, he knows you're serious, but also relaxed and fun.

LOL, yes, email David Boies with an LOL, this will be awesome.

Anyone who's slept with his professor's wife will totally understand.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:36 pm

doyleoil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

ouch. hell of a lawyer tho :)

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

ouch. hell of a firm though.

that wasn't a slam - that dude is the shit

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm

O ya, also make sure to say things like "I'm really happy I didn't get corsaired," "Dude, how often do you hit the those models and drank them bottles," and lastly "How is that sweet ass in the office? Which slut associate is the easiest to hit?"

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:39 pm

wow, david boies is an interesting guy, (wiki)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:58 pm

OP here, well, did my first official kiss-ass move and shot a quick thank you note to "the man" at my to-be law firm (he's on the hiring committee, obviously, so I figured it wouldn't be too crazy so long as I kept the email short), within an hour I got an email back with a dinner invite @ his place when I'm down in the firm's city next weekend on something that my SO has going on down there. Yes, my SO does in fact have cause to be down there.

So much for controlling my impulses. Cannot believe my luck. For some context, this firm has a relatively small incoming class, so I wouldn't've tried this if I was going to a v10 NY firm.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, well, did my first official kiss-ass move and shot a quick thank you note to "the man" at my to-be law firm (he's on the hiring committee, obviously, so I figured it wouldn't be too crazy so long as I kept the email short), within an hour I got an email back with a dinner invite @ his place when I'm down in the firm's city next weekend on something that my SO has going on down there. Yes, my SO does in fact have cause to be down there.

So much for controlling my impulses. Cannot believe my luck. For some context, this firm has a relatively small incoming class, so I wouldn't've tried this if I was going to a v10 NY firm.

Thus confirming my suspicion that, when looking for advice on TLS, you should take what the majority of people say to do and do the opposite.

Surprise: higher ups love lower levels with initiative.

Only on TLS is initiative and taking a minor risk seen as a bad thing.

00TREX00

Postby 00TREX00 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:42 am

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlockhart6

Postby jlockhart6 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, well, did my first official kiss-ass move and shot a quick thank you note to "the man" at my to-be law firm (he's on the hiring committee, obviously, so I figured it wouldn't be too crazy so long as I kept the email short), within an hour I got an email back with a dinner invite @ his place when I'm down in the firm's city next weekend on something that my SO has going on down there. Yes, my SO does in fact have cause to be down there.

Way to go! Def a brave move that paid off, good luck at the dinner!

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Objection wrote:

Thus confirming my suspicion that, when looking for advice on TLS, you should take what the majority of people say to do and do the opposite.

Frankly I was shocked so many people were opposed to this. I work at an accounting firm and it strongly encouraged for us to take the initiative and talk to managers and senior managers to get work and get to know them. It's how you get work. Taking the initiative on finding work makes you look AWESOME. Doesn't matter what kind of firm you work at. I guess this is just the inexperience of TLS talking.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:59 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
Objection wrote:

Frankly I was shocked so many people were opposed to this. I work at an accounting firm and it strongly encouraged for us to take the initiative and talk to managers and senior managers to get work and get to know them. It's how you get work. Taking the initiative on finding work makes you look AWESOME. Doesn't matter what kind of firm you work at. I guess this is just the inexperience of TLS talking.

I guess it's true that lawyers tend to be very risk averse, but boy, TLS takes it to a whole new level.

dooterdude11

Postby dooterdude11 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:03 pm

This is ridiculous. OP, I'm sure he took it as either flattering, a nice gesture, or both. What kind of douche would be bothered by an explicit display of respect from a new hire via email?

Angry internet trolls disregarded, I'm sure it did not come across as "weird" or "annoying."

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:44 pm

dooterdude11 wrote:This is ridiculous. OP, I'm sure he took it as either flattering, a nice gesture, or both. What kind of douche would be bothered by an explicit display of respect from a new hire via email?

Angry internet trolls disregarded, I'm sure it did not come across as "weird" or "annoying."

Yes it did.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
dooterdude11 wrote:This is ridiculous. OP, I'm sure he took it as either flattering, a nice gesture, or both. What kind of douche would be bothered by an explicit display of respect from a new hire via email?

Yes it did.

Clearly, based on the outcome.
:roll:

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Objection wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Yes it did.

Next time write out a letter. Its more personal:

Dear lawyer, I <3 you. I want your babies. xoxoxo, your adoring fan.

Then seal the envelope with a kiss.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Objection wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Yes it did.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Legal Employment”