accepting an offer at the last minute looks bad?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

accepting an offer at the last minute looks bad?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:56 pm

This may sound silly, but does it show you're not committed enough if you wait until the last week (or day) to accept an offer? I was specifically told that it would be good if I accepted the offer right away as other applicants have done. I'm currently waiting to hear back from another firm. Can they somehow take back my offer if I wait until the last minute? Or will it look bad when they're giving out permanent offers at the end of next summer if I was wavering now?

enygma

Re: accepting an offer at the last minute looks bad?

Postby enygma » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 pm

i really wouldn't worry about it. you're accepting their offer. you're only going to work for one firm at the end of the day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:13 pm

I think enthusiasm goes a long way. Unless you want the other firm a lot more, I'd accept. When we were given offers at the end of the summer (for permanent employment), there was one summer who held off until the last minute. A partner told me that it would be remembered because enthusiasm is extremely important. I'm sure the same holds true for accepting SA offers.

It's not the end though. I waited to accept an SA gig because people told me to wait until all my interviews were done - it didn't seem to hurt me. If I had it to do over though, I'd have accepted right away. The firms were comparable. Had I been waiting on a firm that I wanted much, much more, I would have waited.

Postby 270910 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:14 pm

I know somebody who was dinged from partnership at a V10 because they noticed he had taken the longest to accept his SA position out of his class. Apparently it tipped the scales...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:27 pm

disco_barred wrote:I know somebody who was dinged from partnership at a V10 because they noticed he had taken the longest to accept his SA position out of his class. Apparently it tipped the scales...

I posted above you, it sounds strange but that actually happened. The partner who said it to me was one of the nicest partners at the firm too. They aren't going to axe you for it if you're a super-star, but if they're on the fence it about you it could bite you in the ass.

shuchong

Postby shuchong » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Accepting in the last week is not crazy. Waiting for another firm that is less neurotic than the one that wants you to accept right away is not crazy. Last year, I think students had something like 45 days to accept an offer. This year, it's been shortened to 28. Firms are scrambling to adjust to that, I think, and it's created problems for quite a few students who interviewed in NYC/DC and also in a secondary market that takes longer to make offers.

Return to “Legal Employment”