Sources for Firm Financials?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sources for Firm Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Is there a source somewhere for firm financials? NALP, maybe (I've tried to look, just can't find anything)? I can find snippets of newspaper articles, but I wonder where one might find data like budgets, PPP, revenue, whatever, etc... I think there are amlaw rankings for PPP, but I don't have the $ for a subscription.

I'd just like to see if there was a way to assess the financial strength of the firms where I'm considering offers.

TYIA

PKSebben

Re: Sources for Firm Financials?

Postby PKSebben » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:02 pm

American Lawyer. And no need to be anonymous, dude.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:07 pm

What on earth metric do you plan to use to gauge the financial soundness of your firms? No firm in its right mind is going to publish information that is going to give anything away. You could select the firm with most profits per partner but that could mean nothing in terms of whether the firm is around by next christmas or not.

Postby 270910 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:14 pm

MrAnon wrote:What on earth metric do you plan to use to gauge the financial soundness of your firms? No firm in its right mind is going to publish information that is going to give anything away. You could select the firm with most profits per partner but that could mean nothing in terms of whether the firm is around by next christmas or not.

AmLaw hours survey + 3 years of summer hiring trends + offer rates + layoff/deferal news + PPP + PEP + RPL + head count + starting salary + net revenue + league table deal volume / value information (for transactional work) = pretty decent financial picture. Imperfect, but better than nothing by a long shot.

gradeon

Postby gradeon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:17 pm

PKSebben wrote:American Lawyer. And no need to be anonymous, dude.

Don't you have to pay for a subscription though?

Return to “Legal Employment”