Firm interviewed at OCI and no Summer class

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm interviewed at OCI and no Summer class

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:05 pm

During my mass mailing/calling, I called up a firm that showed up at our OCI and asked them if I could send in a resume and asked if they were still taking applications for their summer class. They informed me that they were not having a summer class this year. Is that common for law firms to interview and not take anyone in a summer class? That seems very shady to me.

chadwick218

Re: Firm interviewed at OCI and no Summer class

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Are they simply not having a summer program in a particular office or have they cancelled their summer program altogether. It's not that uncommon for firms to cut out summer programs in offices where they only have a few ppl. Also, since you are posting anonymously, please "out" the firm.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:25 pm

I think some southern firms are still deciding on whether or not they will have a class.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:31 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Are they simply not having a summer program in a particular office or have they cancelled their summer program altogether. It's not that uncommon for firms to cut out summer programs in offices where they only have a few ppl. Also, since you are posting anonymously, please "out" the firm.

I don't want to "out" the firm, merely out of respect. It's a NLJ250 firm, not a V100. They interviewed specifically for the office that I called up.

Why would a firm do that if they knew they are not having a summer program?

Postby 270910 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why would a firm do that if they knew they are not having a summer program?

1) They hope to build good will by conducting interviews. As students, this strikes us as obnoxious, but there are institutional (career services <-> law firm) relationships that get maintained this way too. Whether or not it's prudent, there is ample evidence that it is a motivation.

2) The decision to have or not have a summer program may not have been made until after the decision to conduct interviews. The economic climate changes quickly.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:51 pm

This happens more often than you would think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Baker Hostetler did this for several of their offices this year. They wasted a lot of people's bids, including one of mine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Baker Hostetler did this for several of their offices this year. They wasted a lot of people's bids, including one of mine.

Same experience but different firm. I wasted a bid on a V20 firm that came to my school. I know they have a summer class, but no one at my school got a cb from them this year and apparently it was the same thing last year. It was a grand waste of time. I also felt like my time was wasted when firms would come and interview 100+ students, then give callbacks to 4. I heard that one reason is that firms like to get their name out to students, but I just resent the firm for being so inefficient. If they want to get their name out, just give out free stuff at the hospitality suite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Firms do this to save face with their competitors.

If a firm doesn't show up to OCI it signals to rival firms that they're having problems. Then rivals firms try to raid their top partners and entice them to leave and join their firm.

It should not be allowed as far as I'm concerned for a firm to come to OCI if it's not going to make offers or callbacks. It's a disgrace.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”