NALP data @ Weil redwood shores

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NALP data @ Weil redwood shores

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Did this office no-offer/defer half its summer class as reported on Weil?
Are those kids back at Weil now? Does anyone know what the deal is with this office?

Anonymous User

Re: NALP data @ Weil redwood shores

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did this office no-offer/defer half its summer class as reported on Weil?
Are those kids back at Weil now? Does anyone know what the deal is with this office?

bump, anyone/

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:59 pm

What further information are you looking for? Based on the information provided on the NALP form, this office extended permanent offers to roughly one-half of the students who worked there as 2L SA's. It seems as if this office grossly overestimated its hiring needs.

If I were considering an offer with this firm, I would make damn sure I knew what happened here before accepting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:What further information are you looking for? Based on the information provided on the NALP form, this office extended permanent offers to roughly one-half of the students who worked there as 2L SA's. It seems as if this office grossly overestimated its hiring needs.

If I were considering an offer with this firm, I would make damn sure I knew what happened here before accepting.

I agree that the offer rate is scary there.

I was there two weeks ago. Few people could people could give me a reason for the low offer rate (obviously the economy but I also heard performance was the reason behind the low offer rates-- come on).

Even scarier was that some people refused to acknowledge that the offer rate was even low.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Does anybody have an idea whether the layoffs were mostly corporate or were they the powers ip lit group?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:45 pm

At the screeners, Weil Redwood Shores people outright told me that the office there had gotten too large and they were figuring it would get smaller soon. (They said the same thing about New York as well.) I suppose the honesty was nice...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:48 pm

to the anon above, these interviewers who told you that the office is overgrown, were the corp or ip lit (powers) group?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to the anon above, these interviewers who told you that the office is overgrown, were the corp or ip lit (powers) group?

The NALP data for that office is crazy. The office has 70 attorneys and took 23 SAs in 2009. Wilson Sonsini Palo Alto has 375 attorneys and took 31!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:42 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:to the anon above, these interviewers who told you that the office is overgrown, were the corp or ip lit (powers) group?

The NALP data for that office is crazy. The office has 70 attorneys and took 23 SAs in 2009. Wilson Sonsini Palo Alto has 375 attorneys and took 31!

Exactly, but strangely, Weil is still the recommended place for IP lit, a tier above the rest (Mofo, Orrick, Fenwick, etc.) - it gets described as the single best go-to place for IP in the area.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Exactly, but strangely, Weil is still the recommended place for IP lit, a tier above the rest (Mofo, Orrick, Fenwick, etc.) - it gets described as the single best go-to place for IP in the area.

Who says Weil is better for IP lit than MoFo?

Return to “Legal Employment”