Informing firms that you have other offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:27 am

I have done a number of callbacks and until about a week ago had heard back from none of them. It had been 1 month since my first CB and complete silence. I went on another callback and got an offer with 4 days...so I emailed the firms I had done callbacks with and told them just that I had an offer (didn't say what firm or what city).

About 3 days later I got an offer from that first callback I did. Has anyone else used this strategy with success?

Question 2 - now that I got this other offer do I update all the firms to let them know I got ANOTHER offer or does this just come off as douchey? One more detail: I am waiting to hear back from several firms in the same market as my 2nd offer (I wonder if knowing that their peer firm has extended me an offer would have any weight) :?:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:49 am

anyone? anyone?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:52 am

I think its a good idea, in my last interview i made it clear I had other offers but that I was still very interested in them. I'll let you know how that goes... How did you breach the topic with the firms you had interviewed with? My theory is once you have offers it gives them additional feedback that they should hire you, because others have made the same decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:58 am

I just sent a email to the recruiter letting them know I had to make a decision by date X

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have done a number of callbacks and until about a week ago had heard back from none of them. It had been 1 month since my first CB and complete silence. I went on another callback and got an offer with 4 days...so I emailed the firms I had done callbacks with and told them just that I had an offer (didn't say what firm or what city).

About 3 days later I got an offer from that first callback I did. Has anyone else used this strategy with success?

Question 2 - now that I got this other offer do I update all the firms to let them know I got ANOTHER offer or does this just come off as douchey? One more detail: I am waiting to hear back from several firms in the same market as my 2nd offer (I wonder if knowing that their peer firm has extended me an offer would have any weight) :?:

For Question 2, I think letting them know you have another offer in their market makes sense if it's not NYC, since it shows some commitment to that market. My first choice seemed to only care about offers I had in the same small tertiary market, but they seemed to care a LOT about those.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have done a number of callbacks and until about a week ago had heard back from none of them. It had been 1 month since my first CB and complete silence. I went on another callback and got an offer with 4 days...so I emailed the firms I had done callbacks with and told them just that I had an offer (didn't say what firm or what city).

About 3 days later I got an offer from that first callback I did. Has anyone else used this strategy with success?

Question 2 - now that I got this other offer do I update all the firms to let them know I got ANOTHER offer or does this just come off as douchey? One more detail: I am waiting to hear back from several firms in the same market as my 2nd offer (I wonder if knowing that their peer firm has extended me an offer would have any weight) :?:

For Question 2, I think letting them know you have another offer in their market makes sense if it's not NYC, since it shows some commitment to that market. My first choice seemed to only care about offers I had in the same small tertiary market, but they seemed to care a LOT about those.


The second firm is actually in NY. It's a V10 so I wonder if that has any weight to it.

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby spondee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:46 pm

spondee wrote:I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.


i'm trying to use less desirable offers to get the ones i really want

goody687
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby goody687 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.


i'm trying to use less desirable offers to get the ones i really want


I'd predicting you are going to take some heat from the forum for that one. But in this economy you have to do what you can to get what you want. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:09 pm

goody687 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.


i'm trying to use less desirable offers to get the ones i really want


I'd predicting you are going to take some heat from the forum for that one. But in this economy you have to do what you can to get what you want. Good luck.


why would i take heat for trying to get an offer from my top choice?

am i expected to just accept the first offer i get?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby haus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:17 pm

spondee wrote:I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.


These jobs will not go away if person X does not take the offer. If the firm has a slot to fill they will hire someone. A few days of lost time is a small mater in the grand scheme of things.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Yeah, what a jerk, trying to get the job that you want. Won't somebody please think of the children?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Yeah, what a jerk, trying to get the job that you want. Won't somebody please think of the children?


I thought of the children, and constructed this statue for their park:

--ImageRemoved--

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby 12262010 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.


i'm trying to use less desirable offers to get the ones i really want


are you not planning on mentioning the firm names?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:47 pm

booyakasha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.


i'm trying to use less desirable offers to get the ones i really want


are you not planning on mentioning the firm names?


i don't plan on telling the firms what firms i have offers from...unless they specifically ask

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby 12262010 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:I'm confused. What are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're just collecting offers, which is douchey. That costs your classmates. You should begin eliminating firms. Withdraw from consideration at the ones you know you wouldn't accept over the offers you have.


i'm trying to use less desirable offers to get the ones i really want


are you not planning on mentioning the firm names?


i don't plan on telling the firms what firms i have offers from...unless they specifically ask


I think mentioning the other offers might lead some people to ask about specific firms, which will blow up your plan.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I think mentioning the other offers might lead some people to ask about specific firms, which will blow up your plan.


they haven't asked so far...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:48 pm

bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think mentioning the other offers might lead some people to ask about specific firms, which will blow up your plan.


they haven't asked so far...


And what happens if they do?? I told all my interviewers who had offered me and why I liked and disliked the firms who had offered.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Informing firms that you have other offers

Postby dood » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:29 pm

...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.