Venable(VA) or Wiley Rein(DC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Venable (VA) or Wiley Rein (DC)

Venable (VA)
24%
Wiley Rein (DC)
76%

Total votes: 17

kukusayO

Venable(VA) or Wiley Rein(DC)

Postby kukusayO » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:48 am

I'm interested in Government Contracts and Bankruptcy work. I plan to stay in the DC/noVA area and want a firm that'll give me the most options to move to other firms later on- an easier exit strategy (if I need it). Which firm would you pick? I know these arent V5 or anything, but these are the options I have.

Anonymous User

Re: Venable(VA) or Wiley Rein(DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:30 am

this may be totally off base but i'd go to wiley by a long shot. i don't know if its because i'm in dc but i (and i feel most people at my law school) always regarded wiley very highly despite its "lower" vault rank. pretty much everyone on LR bid on wiley and, had my callback invitation not come so late, i would've seriously considered going there over the higher-ranked vault firm i accepted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:42 am

I liked the people I met at Wiley Rein, but what worried me about the firm is that it seems dominated by Dick Wiley. When Dick Wiley quits working, what happens to the firm? Are the telecommunication companies (most of the firm's clients) going to find some other former FCC Chairman at a different firm to turn to? Venable seems more stable, IMO.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:54 am

kukusayO wrote:I'm interested in Government Contracts and Bankruptcy work. I plan to stay in the DC/noVA area and want a firm that'll give me the most options to move to other firms later on- an easier exit strategy (if I need it). Which firm would you pick? I know these arent V5 or anything, but these are the options I have.

Just doing a quick search of the websites, and knowing only a little bit about each firm, it seems like Wiley Rein would be a better fit for your interests. It doesn't appear that Venable has any attorneys doing Government Contracts or Bankruptcy work in their NoVa office. You've done your callbacks, so I'm sure you've asked, but I would make sure that you go with the firm's office that has what your interested in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:27 am

sorry to hijack the thread but I am considering an offer from Venable DC and was wondering if anyone can tell me how its generally considered within the DC market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I liked the people I met at Wiley Rein, but what worried me about the firm is that it seems dominated by Dick Wiley. When Dick Wiley quits working, what happens to the firm? Are the telecommunication companies (most of the firm's clients) going to find some other former FCC Chairman at a different firm to turn to?

This also concerns me. But I still think Wiley is much stronger than Venable (note the pay difference, for one thing). My guess is that the communications practice has become established enoughh to continue long after the firm's namesake. OP said he is interested in govt k's--- Wiley's govt k's practice probably is strong enough to split off and survive on its own if it came to that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:38 pm

This isn't even a contest. Wiley is a highly-regarded DC firm, Vault aside. They took on 2 SCOTUS and 3 COA clerks last year. They've got strong practices in the areas you're interested in. Venable isn't in the same league.

As for worrying about Dick Wiley retiring... The firm has about 300 associates now, and Chambers-ranked practices in insurance, bankruptcy, media, soft-IP, and telecom. They've also got several names besides Wiley in the communications group. IMHO they're established enough to survive without Dick Wiley.

kukusayO

Postby kukusayO » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:49 pm

OP here.

Thanks for your insight. Would some of you still pick Wiley even if it weren't for the fact that I showed interest in GovCon/BK? My interest in those practices is very artificial, and I don't know much about them. Which would be the better firm in general? I know thats a tough question, but aside practice area, what can you tell me about prestige, exit options, etc?

Thanks for your posts guys. I'm finding this to be a tough decision because I don't know either firm too well, but Venable ranks on vault (at #83) while Wiley Rein (last year #99) is no longer on the list. I wouldn't go by vault ranking entirely, especially if it was just a matter of how manyy spots were in between. In this case, Venable is vault, while Wiley is "non-vault."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:54 pm

I think its important to consider that you have an offer with Venable's VA not DC office. Venable is very prestigious, and on the vault because of its strong regulatory and lobbying practice areas, which all happens at the DC office. If you were interviewing with the DC office and were interested in say, regulatory law, then I would say that you should consider vault and take it over Wiley Rein. However, since you are comparing Venable VA to Wiley Rein DC, vault is less relevant.

kukusayO

Postby kukusayO » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks for that message. Although I'm not sure what type of work I want to do, if I pick Wiley, depending on what practice area I pick/get offered, I might end up in VA (ie, their BK work comes out of VA). what would you do if it were venable (va) and wiley rein (va)?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Wiley may be the most prestigious regional firm in the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:30 pm

there is no contest in prestige between venable and wiley: wiley is much more prestigious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:36 pm

thats a ridiculous statement, wiley isnt even a vault firm and venable is well within the V100.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:37 pm

and, venable isnt even regional anymore, it has nyc and la offices, plus a ton of offices within its region (MD, a few VA, and DC)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:there is no contest in prestige between venable and wiley: wiley is much more prestigious.

From the UVA stats I have Wiley is substantially more selective too.

Vault means jack-shit outside of NYC. They have Williams & Connolly and Covington lower than Weil and White and Case above Munger and Irell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:59 pm

i got to another MVP, so obviously M or P, and the selectivity is actually the same. i guess you cant go wrong either way

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:05 am

Venable pay is less, but vault also ranks it among the best in work/life balance. People at Wiley and Venable both said the hours weren't "that bad"- its hard to tell whether they mean that- or what that means. Any insight into work/life balance and partnership tracks, bonus structure etc.? for either or these firms...

Return to “Legal Employment”