Poll: Cleary NY v. Weil NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Cleary or Weil?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:37 am

Total votes: 31

Re: Poll: Cleary NY v. Weil NY

Postby spondee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:08 pm

I was only looking at the NY offices. Cleary's NY office isn't even ranked by Chambers for antitrust.

I'm not trying to say Weil is better than Cleary. I'm just confused about what makes Weil a lesser firm than Cleary. TLS is pretty unanimous on this, but I don't understand what it's based upon.
Last edited by spondee on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:10 pm

I'd be leary about Weil for bankruptcy, too. Sure, it's an amazing BK firm (see: Lehman). But I wonder whether they're swollen due to Lehman. Will they be able to find the work to replace Lehman to keep their swollen ranks fed?

Postby edcrane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't think Chambers' state ratings should be read as accurately reflecting the total strength of a given office. "NY" doesn't even list capital markets, for example, which is a very big part of Cleary's transactional practice in NY. Also, many firms allow you to split between offices. If you think you're really going to be into antitrust, you might be able to arrange to spend some time at Cleary DC. Nationwide ratings seem to be the better metric, imo.

Also, I think you need to weigh the practice area strengths by the amount of business it corresponds to. EB, for example, is almost meaningless, unless you're gunning hard for EB for some bizarre reason--the practice is going to be tiny at either firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”