Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Firm (NY)?

Debevoise
7
28%
Davis Polk
18
72%
 
Total votes: 25

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm

There is the obvious spread in vault rankings, but beyond that, I would appreciate any legitimate input. They are both good options, but I'd like to know other people's thoughts, perhaps if others are facing (or have faced) the same choice. I keep hearing that the two firms are very similar, but I am really interested in things that distinguish each firm. Does the prestige factor matter that much? Is it crazy to turn down a V5 for a V15? I want to do corporate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:58 pm

When did you do your DPW CB, and when did you get the offer?

Also, choosing a lower-ranked firm you'll be happier at isn't crazy at all. If you have reasons to take Deb, take it. You're not exactly handicapping your future by "settling" for a prominent V20 firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:10 pm

I had this choice last year and, after second visits and a couple meetings with summer associate alums, I went with DPW. It was a tough choice because I really liked the associates I met at Deb (they seemed more relaxed than the associates at DPW) and a lot of my friends were going there. But I had more mixed feelings about the partners at Deb. During my initial interview, one of the corp partners came off as being a pretty cold dude. In fact, I got such a bad vibe from that interviewer that I was shocked to have gotten an offer to begin with. When I got a different but equally strange vibe from another partner at the offer dinner, my gut resolved in favor of DPW. That said, it was a close call for me even though DPW has a stronger corp/tax practice. If I had liked the partners at Deb a little better, I probably would have gone there. IMO, they're both such great firms that you can't go wrong. Neither is likely to no-offer you for economic reasons, and both seem to have plenty of work for corporate associates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you do your DPW CB, and when did you get the offer?

Also, choosing a lower-ranked firm you'll be happier at isn't crazy at all. If you have reasons to take Deb, take it. You're not exactly handicapping your future by "settling" for a prominent V20 firm.



CB was late last week. Offer today. Definitely wouldn't feel like I'm settling if I chose Deb, just want to get some input. It's definitely a god problem to have. Will be doing visits. Thanks also to the other poster who had a similar choice. I actually met with really great partners at Deb. Nothing bad to say about DPW though. Will have to see after visits.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:18 am

I'm actually making the same choice between Deb and DPW, but interested in litigation. I feel like Debevoise has more to offer in terms of types of litigation (highly ranked soft IPs, international arb) than DPW. I also got the same sense abut Debevoise being a little less stuffy and really liked the partners.

With that said, I've never heard anything but amazing things about DPW. I've heard from friends that people at DPW are a bit more social too?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby 270910 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:24 am

PW got a lot of good lit work lately
Last edited by 270910 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:38 am

Are stealth layoffs over at Deb?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually making the same choice between Deb and DPW, but interested in litigation. I feel like Debevoise has more to offer in terms of types of litigation (highly ranked soft IPs, international arb) than DPW. I also got the same sense abut Debevoise being a little less stuffy and really liked the partners.

With that said, I've never heard anything but amazing things about DPW. I've heard from friends that people at DPW are a bit more social too?


Used to work at Deb. Definitely NOT less stuffy. Partners are very elitist, very pretentious, and have a holier than thou type attitude. Don't know anything about DPW - could be better, could be worse. But Deb associates are generally miserable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually making the same choice between Deb and DPW, but interested in litigation. I feel like Debevoise has more to offer in terms of types of litigation (highly ranked soft IPs, international arb) than DPW. I also got the same sense abut Debevoise being a little less stuffy and really liked the partners.

With that said, I've never heard anything but amazing things about DPW. I've heard from friends that people at DPW are a bit more social too?


Used to work at Deb. Definitely NOT less stuffy. Partners are very elitist, very pretentious, and have a holier than thou type attitude. Don't know anything about DPW - could be better, could be worse. But Deb associates are generally miserable.


As a paralegal? Did you work at any other firms? The associates I met at Deb seemed significantly happier than those I met at places like S&C. But, of course, biglaw isn't exactly conducive to big happiness, and maybe as an objective matter Deb associates are less happy than they would be if they worked in another profession.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Only thing I would add is that Deb and DPW have different focuses within corporate. DPW does a lot of public M&A, capital markets, bankruptcy (especially creditor work) and financial regulatory. Deb does a lot of private equity buyouts, fund formation, project finance, insurance transactional, and media transactional.

Your interests probably aren't so refined that you know exactly what you want within corporate (mine certainly aren't), but it's something to think about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually making the same choice between Deb and DPW, but interested in litigation. I feel like Debevoise has more to offer in terms of types of litigation (highly ranked soft IPs, international arb) than DPW. I also got the same sense abut Debevoise being a little less stuffy and really liked the partners.

With that said, I've never heard anything but amazing things about DPW. I've heard from friends that people at DPW are a bit more social too?


Used to work at Deb. Definitely NOT less stuffy. Partners are very elitist, very pretentious, and have a holier than thou type attitude. Don't know anything about DPW - could be better, could be worse. But Deb associates are generally miserable.


As a paralegal? Did you work at any other firms? The associates I met at Deb seemed significantly happier than those I met at places like S&C. But, of course, biglaw isn't exactly conducive to big happiness, and maybe as an objective matter Deb associates are less happy than they would be if they worked in another profession.


Not as a paralegal. Another dept. And friends who left there to go to other big firms have told me that associate satisfaction is sooo much better at other firms. Are the ones you've met associates who were set up through recruiting for callbacks or other recruiting events? Because those arent exactly good reps of the reality.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Another Which Firm Poll - Deb or DPW

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not as a paralegal. Another dept. And friends who left there to go to other big firms have told me that associate satisfaction is sooo much better at other firms. Are the ones you've met associates who were set up through recruiting for callbacks or other recruiting events? Because those arent exactly good reps of the reality.


Yeah, recruiting arranged for the meetings. But the same was true at DPW, S&C, Simpson, etc. I also spoke with a number of former summers and know quite a few people who spent the summer there this year. I definitely haven't heard about this dissatisfaction you're referring to. That's not to say it doesn't exist; I'm just surprised that it could be so well hidden. On the other hand, as I mentioned above, I definitely didn't get a good vibe from a significant minority of the partners chosen to recruit summer associates. And maybe that's a bad sign.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.