Poll: Cahill (NY) v. Cadwalader (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you choose Cahill (NY) or Cadwalader (NY)

Cahill
75%
Cadwalader
25%

Total votes: 65

jbagelboy

Re: Poll: Cahill (NY) v. Cadwalader (NY)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:cadwalader has a better vault ranking also, why is everyone saying cahill is a finer firm?

What?

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:49 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:cadwalader has a better vault ranking also, why is everyone saying cahill is a finer firm?

What?

that post is five years old

(person below bumped the thread)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:49 am

smaug wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

What?

that post is five years old

(person below bumped the thread)

My bad

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 am

Word, but this topic is relevant again now that 2Ls are picking firms this time of the year. Figured it would be better to continue the discussion than start a new thread.

edit: nvmd, i realize you meant that the person who posted 5 years ago is probably not around to respond to the bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm

I've heard Cadawalader is placing most, if not all of their SA's within non lit departments this year...

So if litigation is what you want...figure out if that will change going forward.

To be fair, this is a trend with all firms at the moment as Corporate is hot and Litigation is simply not.

Otherwise, both firms are basically the same. I'd wager Cahil is a bigger sweatshop given their PPP and equal billing rates/likely even expenses. I realize this goes against popular perception but imperfect numbers seem way more reliable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Otherwise, both firms are basically the same. I'd wager Cahil is a bigger sweatshop given their PPP and equal billing rates/likely even expenses. I realize this goes against popular perception but imperfect numbers seem way more reliable.

Yea but is hours worked really a metric you should be using in NYC to differentiate firms. I feel like you'd work the same amount at Cadwalader too. Which of the two firms has the better exit options? Equal? What about prefstige?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Exit options and prefstige between the firms comes down completely to practice area. Go look at chambers and partners rankings for the two and compare.

And yes, hours worked is always something you should use to differentiate when picking between jobs. Especially so when they pay, more or less, the same. (Especially when bonuses get taxed at 43% in NYC)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 am

Cadwalader's lit department seems to have such a great culture. Summered there and would have picked it if I wanted to do litigation/wanted to roll the dice on litigation exit options in general. Can confirm though, that their lit department is super slow right now. They weren't sure if they were taking anybody, but it sounds like they ended up taking all three people who wanted lit at the end of the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Cadwalader was the only callback I had where a senior associate openly complained about working as a litigation associate at the firm. Anecdotal obviously, but if this is someone who the firm picks to represent the firm, I can't imagine how the truly disgruntled associates feel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 am

Both firms are 100%? I couldn't find any hidden information about cold offers or stealth layoffs. Cahill had almost no recruiting events at my school while Cadwalader had one of the fanciest ones.

I know Cahill has a really high PPP. But does that mean better securitiy for me as a summer/young associate or not?

I'm just looking to go to the place where I can last the longest (or get more $$$). Interested in transactional (I know one does a lot of securitization and the other does a lot of leveraged finance, but I don't think I can possibly be in a place to prefer one practice over the other, unless one is more stable or has better exits).

Return to “Legal Employment”