To Drop Out or Graduate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: To Drop Out or Graduate?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:59 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to ask this quick question:

How much of an edge does being a tall, handsom, assertive-looking young man actually have on chances in the world of law?

The same edge it provides in life generally.

So you don't think the profession of law seeks this type of person more than other professions? What's a profession where these qualities can make up for above average but not excellent intelligence?

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

How much of an edge does being a tall, handsom, assertive-looking young man actually have on chances in the world of law?

So you don't think the profession of law seeks this type of person more than other professions? What's a profession where these qualities can make up for above average but not excellent intelligence?

Modeling?

But seriously, if you're already in law school, it'll be good for interviews, but only if you've got an assertive/charming personality to go along with being "assertive-looking." It obviously won't get you better grades or into a better law school, so it really won't get you too far (I would imagine, don't know for sure being a not-particularly-tall woman).

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

Is it going to make up for ineptitude? No. Is it going to get you more likely to make better network connections, get the job, and get the promotions? Yes. And to be honest, above average, but not excellent intelligence is sufficient for just about every job there is. You don't need to be brilliant to have a highly succesful career in almost every possible field. You just need to be smart enough and work your ass off and get some lucky breaks.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 pm

It will probably help you a bit, but not a lot.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:53 pm

OP what kind of law do you actually want to do? Figure out what it is, and how to pursue that kind of law outside of a firm. Government positions cover all kinds of stuff, and look into PI places. With IBR payments you should be fine. If you want to do public interest, you need to show a commitment in something. Start volunteering or working with a clinic and show that you're not just someone doing it as a fallback.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:36 am

I am a big time proponent of dropping out and moving on and sometimes wish I had, but I think your grades are too good to do that. You will find a job but not until after you take the bar. Take that as a given and stop stressing out over OCI. It is practically over and there is nothing you can do about it. Focus on school so that you don't screw up this semester and lose your standing. Relax the next couple semesters and focus like hell on studying for the bar. I don't know what to tell you about the debt. Bury your head in the sand maybe? Get a crap job like waiter to have a little income between now and the time you will get a lawyer job. That will keep you occupied in free time too. Plus, you have already shown you are a law school masterman so you can probably juggle it all successfully.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:44 am

I need a poll to answer this question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:46 am

MrAnon wrote:I am a big time proponent of dropping out and moving on and sometimes wish I had, but I think your grades are too good to do that. You will find a job but not until after you take the bar. Take that as a given and stop stressing out over OCI. It is practically over and there is nothing you can do about it. Focus on school so that you don't screw up this semester and lose your standing. Relax the next couple semesters and focus like hell on studying for the bar. I don't know what to tell you about the debt. Bury your head in the sand maybe? Get a crap job like waiter to have a little income between now and the time you will get a lawyer job. That will keep you occupied in free time too. Plus, you have already shown you are a law school masterman so you can probably juggle it all successfully.

Talk to career services. Mock interview with them. See if there are any huge problems in how you interview or what your resume says/suggests about you. If you identify things or have reason to believe you could interview better and score something if you did it again, consider going part-time (if possible), taking a double degree, or taking a leave of absence. Each will give you another crack at OCI, and with your stats I think you have a very real chance of landing something if you can identify what is holding you back right now.

Return to “Legal Employment”