Out of curiousity... offer/acceptance ratio. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kujhawk24

New

Out of curiousity... offer/acceptance ratio.

Post by kujhawk24 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Assume a V100 office wants to hire 15 SAs. Roughly, how many potential offers on average would they have to make to get to that number? 20, 25, 30? They will obviously have people reject their offer as some will have better offers in their mind.

Anonymous User

Re: Out of curiousity... offer/acceptance ratio.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:38 pm

You ever wonder why partners ask you what other firms you're considering and what offers you have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:45 pm

That helps them narrow it down but they still will strike out with several offers. The other day I saw something that said 43% of SA offers last year in Texas resulted in an acceptance and that was a high percentage due to the current economy. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:04 pm

I got my first (and probably what'll turn out to be my only) V100 offer (edit: V50, if it matters). It's my first choice, and better than the firms where I have outstanding (i.e., post-CB) apps.

My question: what do I have to lose or gain, if anything, by accepting the offer very shortly after getting it? Will I be perceived as a weak candidate for accepting quickly? Should I wait and see if I get other offers so that when attorneys at the firm ask what my options were, I don't have to say "You were my only offer at the time I accepted." I'm sorry for the "What to do w/ my offer" question, but I'm not sure what to do now.

Also, side question, I've gotten the phone offer, but nothing in writing yet. Should I at least wait until I get a letter before I accept? Much thanks for any help on with this, and sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Person

Bronze

Post by Person » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got my first (and probably what'll turn out to be my only) V100 offer (edit: V50, if it matters). It's my first choice, and better than the firms where I have outstanding (i.e., post-CB) apps.

My question: what do I have to lose or gain, if anything, by accepting the offer very shortly after getting it? Will I be perceived as a weak candidate for accepting quickly? Should I wait and see if I get other offers so that when attorneys at the firm ask what my options were, I don't have to say "You were my only offer at the time I accepted." I'm sorry for the "What to do w/ my offer" question, but I'm not sure what to do now.

Also, side question, I've gotten the phone offer, but nothing in writing yet. Should I at least wait until I get a letter before I accept? Much thanks for any help on with this, and sorry if this is the wrong thread.
Take a week to think it over. Wait for the letter if it makes you feel better. I don't think they care if you have other offers once they offer you. They just want you to take their offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 pm

They will not think you are weak. They will be happy they got one of their top choices. I may wait for the letter just to make sure everything is kosher.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:17 pm

i dont see the point of waiting for the letter. if they are your top choice, accepting within a few days is fine. it makes more sense to wait for the letter before you cancel other callbacks.

buxfactor

New

Post by buxfactor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:45 pm

How long from phone call to offer letter in the mail, usually?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Considering at least at my school that people tended to have either over 15 or around zero CBs, with a very small middle class, I'd say its probably say its very low, unless u are one of the V10 or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:16 pm

buxfactor wrote:How long from phone call to offer letter in the mail, usually?
I can't speak very well to "usually," but my few have been 7-10 days to get the official letter.

And as to the OP's question I talked to one NY hiring partner at a V100 and he said they would do 40 or so offers to a class size of fewer than 20. So something a little greater than 2:1 at least for this V100.

kujhawk24

New

Post by kujhawk24 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:22 pm

do they generally do offers in that case on a rolling basis or are they comfortable enough with the numbers that they will go ahead and offer all 40 at once and anticipate less than 20 accepting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:30 pm

kujhawk24 wrote:do they generally do offers in that case on a rolling basis or are they comfortable enough with the numbers that they will go ahead and offer all 40 at once and anticipate less than 20 accepting?
I didn't ask him that, but the sense I got was that the numbers year to year were fairly consistent. Of course ITE has made acceptance rates rise a bit, but still probably fairly consistent (esp. for firms with a decent sized class). That being said, it could still be that they do rolling offers and the numbers are, likewise, relatively consistent.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got my first (and probably what'll turn out to be my only) V100 offer (edit: V50, if it matters). It's my first choice, and better than the firms where I have outstanding (i.e., post-CB) apps.

Is this a serious question? Accept your damn offer you nitwit.

rcb5142

New

Post by rcb5142 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:35 pm

rayiner wrote:

Is this a serious question? Accept your damn offer you nitwit.
I was gonna call flame too!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”