Mayer Brown v. Jones Day (Chicago) v. Schiff

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Whichfirm?

Mayer Brown
46%
Jones Day (Chicago)
46%
Schiff Hardin
8%

Total votes: 26

Anonymous User

Mayer Brown v. Jones Day (Chicago) v. Schiff

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Which firm would you pick and why.

My thoughts at the moment are that the work at Mayer in Chicago would be the best, while the people at Jones Day are really friendly and chill, while Schiff might have better quality of life.

Undecided on practice area.

Anonymous User

Re: Mayer Brown v. Jones Day (Chicago) v. Schiff

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which firm would you pick and why.

My thoughts at the moment are that the work at Mayer in Chicago would be the best, while the people at Jones Day are really friendly and chill, while Schiff might have better quality of life.

I hated the Schiff people at OCI. Definitely tried to play "Stump the law student" more than any other firm I talked to.

Go with Mayer Brown. You get one shot at this. Take it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Do you have offers from all of these? If so, how long between your JD callback and offer? Thanks.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Mayer is really the no-brainer answer here.

tome

Postby tome » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Jones Day didn't lay anyone off. Might be worth something if there is a double dip recession.

Hitachi

Postby Hitachi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 pm

tome wrote:Jones Day didn't lay anyone off. Might be worth something if there is a double dip recession.

Publicly. But then again, they don't do anything publicly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Did you get an offer from Jones Day? When was your callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you get an offer from Jones Day? When was your callback?

Got a ding letter 1 week after my CB, FWIW.

tome

Postby tome » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:32 am

Hitachi wrote:
tome wrote:Jones Day didn't lay anyone off. Might be worth something if there is a double dip recession.

Publicly. But then again, they don't do anything publicly.

We would know if they tried to secretly lay off a bunch of people. ATL is all seeing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:28 pm

I've had experience with both of these places (Schiff is not on the same level as the other two). These two are NOT comparable. Despite what someone else alluded to re: layoffs (stealth or otherwise) at Jones Day, they have been, if at all, very limited in number. That was not the case at Mayer Brown. The whole place was dragged down and depressed as a result. You should be worried about the long-term stability of the firm; I personally would feel safer at Jones Day. Especially as this is a summer gig, you've got a much better chance of getting a permanent offer at JD over MB.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had experience with both of these places (Schiff is not on the same level as the other two). These two are NOT comparable. Despite what someone else alluded to re: layoffs (stealth or otherwise) at Jones Day, they have been, if at all, very limited in number. That was not the case at Mayer Brown. The whole place was dragged down and depressed as a result. You should be worried about the long-term stability of the firm; I personally would feel safer at Jones Day. Especially as this is a summer gig, you've got a much better chance of getting a permanent offer at JD over MB.

You do realize that Mayer gave 100% offers this summer right, just like every other Chicago firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:22 pm

You also realize that this was after a nearly 70% reduction in summer class, which followed a 70% offer summer, which was itself a 33% reduction in class size from the year before (--LinkRemoved--)? The fact that they've reduced class size to fit their needs is admirable, but the fact that the class was so small and their office in Chicago is so large is somewhat worrying. Also, they've shown a willingness to lay off young associates (publicly, so kudos to them) that is not the case at JD. And please, don't parrot the "stealth layoff" line that is so popular and so unsupported.

Return to “Legal Employment”