struck out at oci-now what?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 am

any way to land biglaw? :roll:

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 am

Mass mailings, and prayer.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:31 am

The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby rayiner » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:35 am

Adjust your expectations. Don't be the 3L who turns down decent jobs waiting for that biglaw job that's never coming.


User avatar
JG Hall
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby JG Hall » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 am

Run for Senate. Alaska, Delaware...

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby KMaine » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.


Yeah, I don't think OP cares about Vault rankings. I also don't think any of the trouble "ITE" is people turning away from 100K jobs b/c they are not called "biglaw." Are these jobs going unfilled? What are you talking about?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby dood » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:10 am

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.


lolol

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Oban » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:50 am

Try non big law

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:34 am

KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.


Yeah, I don't think OP cares about Vault rankings. I also don't think any of the trouble "ITE" is people turning away from 100K jobs b/c they are not called "biglaw." Are these jobs going unfilled? What are you talking about?


Yes, there are plenty of unfilled legal jobs out there. Small law, mid law, boutiques.

Of course, it somewhat depends on the school, but many firms salivate at the thought of getting, say, a Michigan grad. The problem is that it takes research and hard work to find these firms because OCS doesn't help.

The inability to land a job ITE is only partially attributable to TE.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:20 am

There is no evidence that there are "plenty of unfilled jobs" for recent graduates. Many small, mid-sized and boutique firms hire few or no recent graduates. For the ones that do, it's really not that hard ITE to fill the jobs -- call the best area law school's career center for top student resumes and you'll get dozens.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Corsair » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 am

..

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby seespotrun » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 am

Objection wrote:
KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.


Yeah, I don't think OP cares about Vault rankings. I also don't think any of the trouble "ITE" is people turning away from 100K jobs b/c they are not called "biglaw." Are these jobs going unfilled? What are you talking about?


Yes, there are plenty of unfilled legal jobs out there. Small law, mid law, boutiques.

Of course, it somewhat depends on the school, but many firms salivate at the thought of getting, say, a Michigan grad. The problem is that it takes research and hard work to find these firms because OCS doesn't help.

The inability to land a job ITE is only partially attributable to TE.


The truth to your statement is highly dependent on what school your hypothetical applicant attends.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:00 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Objection wrote:
KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.


Yeah, I don't think OP cares about Vault rankings. I also don't think any of the trouble "ITE" is people turning away from 100K jobs b/c they are not called "biglaw." Are these jobs going unfilled? What are you talking about?


Yes, there are plenty of unfilled legal jobs out there. Small law, mid law, boutiques.

Of course, it somewhat depends on the school, but many firms salivate at the thought of getting, say, a Michigan grad. The problem is that it takes research and hard work to find these firms because OCS doesn't help.

The inability to land a job ITE is only partially attributable to TE.


The truth to your statement is highly dependent on what school your hypothetical applicant attends.


Well, to be fair, I'm also of the opinion that if it was big law or bust, you shouldn't have gone to a school outside of the t14, and if you didn't have the option to go within t14, you shouldn't be surprised at striking out with big law in any economy.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby seespotrun » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
Objection wrote:
Yes, there are plenty of unfilled legal jobs out there. Small law, mid law, boutiques.

Of course, it somewhat depends on the school, but many firms salivate at the thought of getting, say, a Michigan grad. The problem is that it takes research and hard work to find these firms because OCS doesn't help.

The inability to land a job ITE is only partially attributable to TE.


The truth to your statement is highly dependent on what school your hypothetical applicant attends.


Well, to be fair, I'm also of the opinion that if it was big law or bust, you shouldn't have gone to a school outside of the t14, and if you didn't have the option to go within t14, you shouldn't be surprised at striking out with big law in any economy.


Even within the T-14, your statement is probably true for only HYS and maybe CCN.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Corsair wrote:Many people in this thread seem to have no idea what the anonymous feature is for.


Nice to see you, too.

Since when are rules enforced?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Objection wrote:Since when are rules enforced?

The rules are enforced, and discussion of such does not belong in on-topic threads such as these, so drop it.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Objection wrote:Since when are rules enforced?

The rules are enforced, and discussion of such does not belong in on-topic threads such as these, so drop it.

:lol:

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Objection wrote:
KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.


Yeah, I don't think OP cares about Vault rankings. I also don't think any of the trouble "ITE" is people turning away from 100K jobs b/c they are not called "biglaw." Are these jobs going unfilled? What are you talking about?


Yes, there are plenty of unfilled legal jobs out there. Small law, mid law, boutiques.

Of course, it somewhat depends on the school, but many firms salivate at the thought of getting, say, a Michigan grad. The problem is that it takes research and hard work to find these firms because OCS doesn't help.

The inability to land a job ITE is only partially attributable to TE.


BOOTSTRAPS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any way to land biglaw? :roll:

This. I am trying mass emailing but no nibbles so far (well one small nibble but too early to see where it'll go). I've emailed probably about 30 or so in the past 2-3 days. One email reject, one automated email, one "we'll be in touch if we're interested" email, and one small nibble email about some possible interest. So it doesn't hurt to try I suppose.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 pm

I've heard of mass mailing working for people, even in last year's market and even in primary markets. Look at non-NALP firms, for example. Your OCS should have lists upon list of potential employers. Be patient, though. Sometimes they can call you out of nowhere weeks or months later, sending you scrambling to your laptop as you think, "Who???!!!"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm

I mass mailed about 25 firms this week. Got a callback (could be a screener, not sure how to define it) today from one of the most respected firms in my home state (you'd probably consider it midlaw).

Otherwise, no dings or anything like that. A couple automated "thank you for your interest" emails, that's about it. Still surprised to get a positive response so quickly from a respectable firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed about 25 firms this week. Got a callback (could be a screener, not sure how to define it) today from one of the most respected firms in my home state (you'd probably consider it midlaw).

Otherwise, no dings or anything like that. A couple automated "thank you for your interest" emails, that's about it. Still surprised to get a positive response so quickly from a respectable firm.


I'm surprised mass mails are still working. I won't bother with NY biglaw, but is it too late for NY midlaw? I've already sent out resumes to all the markets where I have some sort of tie (non-NY).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed about 25 firms this week. Got a callback (could be a screener, not sure how to define it) today from one of the most respected firms in my home state (you'd probably consider it midlaw).

Otherwise, no dings or anything like that. A couple automated "thank you for your interest" emails, that's about it. Still surprised to get a positive response so quickly from a respectable firm.


I'm surprised mass mails are still working. I won't bother with NY biglaw, but is it too late for NY midlaw? I've already sent out resumes to all the markets where I have some sort of tie (non-NY).


The midlaw firm I heard from today is based in New Jersey. Not sure how different NY would be for midlaw. Probably tougher, given that its New York, but its probably worth a shot. But get on it. Every day you delay decreases your chances big time.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.