(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Fried Frank v Cahill

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 am

What did you decide??

Anonymous User

Re: Fried Frank v Cahill

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another thing - I am not so sure that big law exit options are as dramatically different as people on these boards make them out to be. Maybe for the top 5 firms, it makes a difference - but working in big law gives you instant street cred (if I may use that term) just by virtue of having the big firm training behind you. Exit options are what you make of them - if you're the type of corporate lawyer who can get client contact early on and make connections (and who is good at client relations and is well liked as an associate by clients), then those in-house gigs will be easier to get. I don't know much about FF, but this is from Cahill's website about Cahill alums:

Former Cahill associates can be found as partners in other prominent law firms in the United States and Europe, investment bankers, senior executives of public companies, general counsels at Fortune 500 corporations, professors at national law schools, state and federal trial and appellate judges, United States Attorneys and public interest advocates. Others hold or have held senior policy and line positions in business and in all branches of government.

Hope this helps.

I second this opinion. I would only add that if you're comparing firms from an exit options standpoint then the comparison should be "Practice Group X at Y Firm" vs. "Practice Group X at Z Firm." For instance, lets say you had significant pre-law school work experience in real estate, were a real estate junkie, and were choosing between Fried Frank and a "higher ranked" (by whatever metric you wish to use) firm. FF has one of the best real estate practice groups among any law firm in New York. You should compare the real estate group at FF with the real estate group in the other firm. The firm's name only goes so far once you're in the Big Law NYC arena.

Return to “Legal Employment”