Accepted offer...what happens between now and May?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted offer...what happens between now and May?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Accepted offer...what happens between now and May?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:58 am

you're concerned about fucking fruit baskets. gtfo

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Feel very fortunate right now, as I just accepted an offer with my top choice firm. I withdrew all of my outstanding applications and offers, and now I am trying to refocus on school. But I am wondering, what happens next?

I assume I'll get a letter in the mail as I did with the other offers, but once you accept, is there anything else to do but wait until the summer? I hear that firms will sometimes have events for people who have received offers, but I live in a different state (do they fly everyone out? Has anyone experienced this?) I also hear about fruit baskets at Christmastime...but maybe that was a 2006 thing. Do members of the firm communicate with you post-acceptance?

Any clue from someone who went through this last year? I feel so overwhelmed by the going-ons of the past five weeks, and it is somewhat anti-climactic to just be done with it all in a blink like that. Plus, I can't wait until next summer.

Good luck to those who are still out there, I'm sure things will sort themselves out soon. But for the few of us that are lucky enough to be done with it all, or for those who did this last year, what's next?

Normal life resumes. Try not to be a douche to those still out there. Creating this thread was probably a failure of that initiative.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 am

underdawg wrote:you're concerned about fucking fruit baskets. gtfo

lol'd

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 am

asshole should be outed

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 am

[quote="Anonymous User"] I also hear about fruit baskets at Christmastime...but maybe that was a 2006 thing.[quote]

Oh HAI Patrick Bateman!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wahoo1L

Postby Wahoo1L » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:37 am

Nothing really happens. You might receive a letter or email from either the Hiring Partner or Recruitment Director congratulating you on choosing their firm. After the new year, you will probably receive information about the summer program. Some firms won't give you this information until March, others might let you know information after January. I have also heard that some firms send cookies or other random crap to their summers. It really depends.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Nothing really happens. You might receive a letter or email from either the Hiring Partner or Recruitment Director congratulating you on choosing their firm. After the new year, you will probably receive information about the summer program. Some firms won't give you this information until March, others might let you know information after January. I have also heard that some firms send cookies or other random crap to their summers. It really depends.

Thank you. I was mostly concerned with when I'll hear more about the program schedule, etc., and/or if there is any attempt to bring the summers together through a FB group or email or whatnot. Just feels like a lot of build up and then woosh...okay...wait until May.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Nothing really happens. You might receive a letter or email from either the Hiring Partner or Recruitment Director congratulating you on choosing their firm. After the new year, you will probably receive information about the summer program. Some firms won't give you this information until March, others might let you know information after January. I have also heard that some firms send cookies or other random crap to their summers. It really depends.

Thank you. I was mostly concerned with when I'll hear more about the program schedule, etc., and/or if there is any attempt to bring the summers together through a FB group or email or whatnot. Just feels like a lot of build up and then woosh...okay...wait until May.

do not start a facebook group. you'll automatically become the biggest douche in your class (to the other summers)

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

do not start a facebook group. you'll automatically become the biggest douche in your class (to the other summers)

I'm not sure why this would be true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:59 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would never start one myself. My firm had one for last year though. I'm just kind of hoping to talk to some people who are also going. I'm kind of excited about it and it is a downer that the market is so bad and we can't all share in conversations about the future in a positive way right now. And it was such a crazy few weeks that it doesn't feel real yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:04 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is a job. This is not summer camp. You're not going so you can make 50 new bffs, but to work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:12 am

[/quote]
This is a job. This is not summer camp. You're not going so you can make 50 new bffs, but to work.[/quote]

Given that firms set up FB groups to promote socializing among the summers, take them to sports games and musicals, provide unlimited social lunches and biweekly cocktail hours, field trips to partner's houses and "neighborhood tours," and have a billable requirement of 15 hours a week...

Are you SURE this isn't summer camp?

Personally, I could do without so many social activities and I'm really interested in the work and experience. I just think that is a little disingenuous, considering how many firms approach their summer programs.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is a job. This is not summer camp. You're not going so you can make 50 new bffs, but to work.

Given that firms set up FB groups to promote socializing among the summers, take them to sports games and musicals, provide unlimited social lunches and biweekly cocktail hours, field trips to partner's houses and "neighborhood tours," and have a billable requirement of 15 hours a week...

Personally, I could do without so many social activities and I'm really interested in the work and experience. I just think that is a little disingenuous, considering how many firms approach their summer programs.

I feel fairly confident in saying that it's not the firms that set up the facebook groups, but other over-zealous summers.

Anyway, maybe I'll email Elie and Lat and settle this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is a job. This is not summer camp. You're not going so you can make 50 new bffs, but to work.

I feel fairly confident in saying that it's not the firms that set up the facebook groups, but other over-zealous summers.

Naw, do a search on FB. I found a few, obviously set up by the recruiters with a full schedule of events.... :|
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Naw, do a search on FB. I found a few, obviously set up by the recruiters with a full schedule of events.... :|

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... ref=search
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... ref=search
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... ref=search
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... ref=search
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... ref=search

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:55 am

Cov is the only firm in the v20 to have a fb group by a non-summer. (I don't think Cravath's is, as 2007's says "No system like the Cravath system" as a description.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:

If you want to meet fellow summers, just set up a non-Anon thread here for people who've accepted at your firm. I doubt you'll find out who they are otherwise.

Postby 270910 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, it's definitely summer camp at some (most?) firms.

dbt

Postby dbt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 am

If you don't get a fruit basket around Christmas time you should bring it up in an email to the head of legal recruiting. That's simply unacceptable.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 am

Feel very fortunate right now, as I just accepted an offer with my top choice firm. I withdrew all of my outstanding applications and offers, and now I am trying to refocus on school. But I am wondering, what happens next?

I assume I'll get a letter in the mail as I did with the other offers, but once you accept, is there anything else to do but wait until the summer? I hear that firms will sometimes have events for people who have received offers, but I live in a different state (do they fly everyone out? Has anyone experienced this?) I also hear about fruit baskets at Christmastime...but maybe that was a 2006 thing. Do members of the firm communicate with you post-acceptance?

Any clue from someone who went through this last year? I feel so overwhelmed by the going-ons of the past five weeks, and it is somewhat anti-climactic to just be done with it all in a blink like that. Plus, I can't wait until next summer.

Good luck to those who are still out there, I'm sure things will sort themselves out soon. But for the few of us that are lucky enough to be done with it all, or for those who did this last year, what's next?

Jesus Christ.

How do people on this board function on a day-to-day basis?

Postby 270910 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 am

Renzo wrote:Jesus Christ.

How do people on this board function on a day-to-day basis?

Poorly and with the help of others?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I also hear about fruit baskets at Christmastime...but maybe that was a 2006 thing.

Oh HAI Patrick Bateman!

I'm sorry! Geez, I am not "concerned" about fruit baskets. I am just asking if this is over, or are we still expected to do things/is there more after this. I've been helping my friends more than you could possibly know throughout all of this. Do you get on every person's case who mentions that they have accepted an offer? I wish you the best of luck, but there is no reason to attack me for wanting to talk about this on an employment-related board. You didn't need to click on the thread.

Can't take a joke?

Return to “Legal Employment”