DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AverageStudent wrote:I know offers for EOIR and OIL have already gone out. We were told we had 28 days, so I'm sure there will be more offers in the upcoming weeks.
Good Luck.


Aw.. darn. I was really holding out hope that OIL hadn't made offers yet, since we hadn't heard anything. /hope

Out of curiosity, do you know when the original offers for OIL went out, and if there were any interviews or just a phone call out of the blue with an offer?


Also, does this mean you got an offer from both? Well done...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AverageStudent wrote:I know offers for EOIR and OIL have already gone out. We were told we had 28 days, so I'm sure there will be more offers in the upcoming weeks.
Good Luck.


Aw.. darn. I was really holding out hope that OIL hadn't made offers yet, since we hadn't heard anything. /hope

Out of curiosity, do you know when the original offers for OIL went out, and if there were any interviews or just a phone call out of the blue with an offer?


Also, does this mean you got an offer from both? Well done...


Ahhhh they just left us hanging! COME BACK!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:46 pm

AverageStudent wrote:I know offers for EOIR and OIL have already gone out. We were told we had 28 days, so I'm sure there will be more offers in the upcoming weeks.
Good Luck.


You're referring to SLIP, and not honors, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So once components name finalists, they can start issuing offers, right? I don't get where the thanksgiving timeline comes from.


I mean, I got my offer from antitrust the same day I was made a finalist so...


Was that this year?


Yeah, this year. A couple weeks ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AverageStudent wrote:I know offers for EOIR and OIL have already gone out. We were told we had 28 days, so I'm sure there will be more offers in the upcoming weeks.
Good Luck.


You're referring to SLIP, and not honors, right?


That would be fantastic if he/she meant Honors...

but seriously I'll buy you a drink in DC this summer if you got an offer at both and you turn down OIL.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AverageStudent wrote:I know offers for EOIR and OIL have already gone out. We were told we had 28 days, so I'm sure there will be more offers in the upcoming weeks.
Good Luck.


You're referring to SLIP, and not honors, right?


That would be fantastic if he/she meant Honors...

but seriously I'll buy you a drink in DC this summer if you got an offer at both and you turn down OIL.


I'll get you two drinks if you turn down EOIR. I didn't interpret it as the same person getting both offers. I hope this is just someone from Auto Admit screwing with us, and it's not real.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 pm

I've been looking at some of the other threads talking about SLIP. The consensus is that there's no advantage to SLIP unless you struck out at OCI. Yes/No?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been looking at some of the other threads talking about SLIP. The consensus is that there's no advantage to SLIP unless you struck out at OCI. Yes/No?



I think so. The chances of getting hired through SLIP is pretty low. The chances of getting hired for a biglaw/midlaw job is a lot higher.

I would only do both if it s possible to schedule both without interrupting your private summer program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been looking at some of the other threads talking about SLIP. The consensus is that there's no advantage to SLIP unless you struck out at OCI. Yes/No?



I think so. The chances of getting hired through SLIP is pretty low. The chances of getting hired for a biglaw/midlaw job is a lot higher.

I would only do both if it s possible to schedule both without interrupting your private summer program.


Does doing SLIP open up any doors that biglaw doesn't? I mean SLIP is risky because you go into your 3L year with no job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:04 pm

to those that got an offer. Are the offers made from the divisions directly? or are they given to a central DOJ office that calls the individuals?
Anyone know?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to those that got an offer. Are the offers made from the divisions directly? or are they given to a central DOJ office that calls the individuals?
Anyone know?


My offer call came from one of the attorneys who interviewed me. Antitrust non-DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes, one of the interviewing attorneys calls you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 pm

So, for those of us left hanging, let me get this straight:

There have been offers made by Antitrust, EOIR, OIL and Civil Appellate. Am I missing any?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Danteshek » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:44 pm

What divisions are you all waiting for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I wish the person who posted the EOIR and OIL offers last night would come back to provide more details :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Danteshek wrote:What divisions are you all waiting for?


Fed. Programs (Civil)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Danteshek wrote:What divisions are you all waiting for?



non dc antitrust.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been looking at some of the other threads talking about SLIP. The consensus is that there's no advantage to SLIP unless you struck out at OCI. Yes/No?



I think so. The chances of getting hired through SLIP is pretty low. The chances of getting hired for a biglaw/midlaw job is a lot higher.

I would only do both if it s possible to schedule both without interrupting your private summer program.


Does doing SLIP open up any doors that biglaw doesn't? I mean SLIP is risky because you go into your 3L year with no job.


Any thoughts on this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

do you guys think that people who were selected as finalist roughly a week or 2 ago and did not get offers are prob alternates?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. For my own sanity I'm choosing to believe what was said yesterday about Civil-OIL having made offers already is true.

I think some people went to "finalist" in early October, so that's a pretty long gap already. I didn't notice mine until late in October because I hadn't looked or thought about it in a long time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:25 pm

EOIR didn't name finalists until the first week of nov, but the "people/person" from last night claimed they've already issued offers

AverageStudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby AverageStudent » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 pm

hey guys. i got an offer at OIL last week (the 11th). there was a phone interview then an offer about 1.5 weeks later. A friend has accepted with EOIR. She got her offer before I did, with no interview.

AverageStudent
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby AverageStudent » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:35 pm

also just to clarify, this was SLIP and not Honors. As far as whether SLIP can lead to post-grad opportunities, the DOJ website says that some students are "funneled" into the honors program, but my interviewer couldn't recall it happening recently.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:45 pm

AverageStudent wrote:hey guys. i got an offer at OIL last week (the 11th). there was a phone interview then an offer about 1.5 weeks later. A friend has accepted with EOIR. She got her offer before I did, with no interview.



did you check when you were made a finalist online?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:53 pm

AverageStudent wrote:hey guys. i got an offer at OIL last week (the 11th). there was a phone interview then an offer about 1.5 weeks later. A friend has accepted with EOIR. She got her offer before I did, with no interview.


Thanks! Did the offers come by phone?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.