DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do phone calls to references typically come before or after interviews?


I interviewed then, afterwards, my references were contacted.

civil division branch?


Antitrust.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:25 am

has anyone heard anything from OIL?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:27 am

Know of someone whose status changed to finalist for OIL

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:10 am

My status has been finalist for a while, and I'm reasonably sure that the office in the Civil Division that is considering me is the OIL. But I haven't actually heard anything, if that helps.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:44 pm

are any of you people (as i suspect) sitting on civil division offers and just not telling? it's been over a week since interviews started (mine included), and yet nothing...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Why would they not tell?

Did you switch to finalist on avue?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:are any of you people (as i suspect) sitting on civil division offers and just not telling? it's been over a week since interviews started (mine included), and yet nothing...



Have you heard if they've contacted your references?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you switch to finalist on avue?

yeah, i'm at finalist. i think everyone still being considered by civil had their status updated.

Anonymous User wrote:Have you heard if they've contacted your references?

no, but i haven't ran into those people lately (and i'm not sure if they would email me immediately after taking a call).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why would they not tell?

Did you switch to finalist on avue?



If you've had an interview, you are definitely a finalist!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did you switch to finalist on avue?

yeah, i'm at finalist. i think everyone still being considered by civil had their status updated.


Someone a little earlier in the thread mentioned talking to someone from the Civil department and them saying that finalists were people who got cut further from the group of those selected for further consideration. I'm not sure there have been any actual cuts of people beside those who never got referred to components, so if you made it to finalist, thats a good thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Has anyone heard from Civil Rights post interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Anyone hear from PRAO at this point?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Anything going on? To the guy who had the weak civil division interview, did you hear anything?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:02 pm

At this point, is anyone still stuck at "selected for further consideration". If so, which division?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Civil Rights post interview?


Nope.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 pm

No movement whatsoever, eh?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:54 pm

anyone think that all the "first round" offers are already given out. Then depending on how they respond, they will make future offers accordingly?

Honestly, the DOJ is only hiring a handful at most positions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone think that all the "first round" offers are already given out. Then depending on how they respond, they will make future offers accordingly?

Honestly, the DOJ is only hiring a handful at most positions.

Well, DOJ tends to comply with NALP rules w/r/t how long they keep offers open, so if that's the case, none of us will be hearing until late December at the earliest.

Also, don't you think at least one person with a first-round offer would've said something here?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:21 pm

This was posted on avue today in response to a question about whether a candidate can get more info about their offer status if they have firm offers that need dealt with...

Yes. If you were an HP interview candidate or a SLIP candidate selected for further consideration, have pending offer deadlines, and need to confirm your status with the component or components that selected you, you should contact the appropriate Attorney Recruitment Coordinator (ARC). The ARC list is posted online at http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/attorne ... coords.htm. Please do not use this resources simply to satisfy personal curiousity - the ARCs and OARM staff are working diligently to identify finalists and make appropriate online status changes. Generally speaking, non-finalists are notified as soon as possible once a component designates finalists. However, OARM cannot distinguish between first-round offer candidates and alternates when looking at finalists as both categories are cleared for offers to be issued at the component's discretion. Some components have already designated finalists - most have not, and the deadline is not until November 17th. Once a component's finalists are cleared, components may begin issuing offers. So for a time, no news is good news. After a while, however, no news generally indicates that a candidate is an alternate rather than a first round candidate. We must allow offers to remain open for a period of 28 days before we can deem it declined and issue an offer to an alternate. Again, questions relating to the status of finalists should be directed to the component ARC.


Not much new stuff in there that we hadn't figured on, but in a way it's really interesting... but I still don't believe that all the Civil Division offices are operating on the same schedule. So it's still really hard to get anything out of the information if you're waiting as a Civil finalist but haven't heard of anyone in your office getting offers/contacted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:51 pm

I assume/hope we haven't arrived at the point where no news is bad news considering nobody has heard of offers going out. I'm pretty sure my Civil Division interviewer said they would notify me either way of my status before Thanksgiving. Anyone else get this impression?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I assume/hope we haven't arrived at the point where no news is bad news considering nobody has heard of offers going out. I'm pretty sure my Civil Division interviewer said they would notify me either way of my status before Thanksgiving. Anyone else get this impression?


From all the info we've gotten so far it seems really unlikely that people who have been moved to finalist or interviewed will be rejected before Thanksgiving, unless the division is really fast in making first round offers and all the first round offerees all accept. It seems like it's really common for people to not get offers until later in the winter when the appropriate time has passed for primary offerees to turn it down, or whatever. For other divisions that have only promised to notify people of finalist status by the 17th, definitely not. For the Civil Division... I don't know. If your office does interviews, it's possible I guess, but I'm going to just assume I'll hear by the end of February, try to be patient, hope for the best, plan for the worst. Time for me to stop obsessing over this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I assume/hope we haven't arrived at the point where no news is bad news considering nobody has heard of offers going out. I'm pretty sure my Civil Division interviewer said they would notify me either way of my status before Thanksgiving. Anyone else get this impression?


From all the info we've gotten so far it seems really unlikely that people who have been moved to finalist or interviewed will be rejected before Thanksgiving, unless the division is really fast in making first round offers and all the first round offerees all accept. It seems like it's really common for people to not get offers until later in the winter when the appropriate time has passed for primary offerees to turn it down, or whatever. For other divisions that have only promised to notify people of finalist status by the 17th, definitely not. For the Civil Division... I don't know. If your office does interviews, it's possible I guess, but I'm going to just assume I'll hear by the end of February, try to be patient, hope for the best, plan for the worst. Time for me to stop obsessing over this.

Sorry, to clarify my earlier post, I meant the interviewer seemed to indicate that she would let me know whether I recevied a first-round offer or was an alternate that should expect to hear in a month or two (you're right, it's senseless to reject people at this stage). My point was merely that it seems even the first-round offers haven't started going out yet for most branches of the Civil Division.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Oh, well, it's possible your office of the CD plans on letting you know before Thxgiving if you're getting an offer or going to be an alternate. My office either doesn't do interviews or I'm not one of the first-round offerees, so I have no similar experience with that. The bigger point is that it seems like the Civil Division is moving pretty fast in finalist status updating, but since there are different offices we can't know whether not hearing anything by Thxgiving means we're alternates or offerees.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:37 pm

For what it's worth (I know most of you are Civil), my BOP interviewer told me that this week and next week were devoted to decision-making, and I would know one way or the other before Thanksgiving (presumably Mon-Wed of T-day week).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273088
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Sorry to maybe come off as dense, but do you mean your BOP interviewer told you this week and next are decision-making time for BOP, or for the DOJ in general?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.