DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have kind of a related question. I've been selected as a finalist for Civil (in a way I wish I wasn't posting anonymously so I could stop clarifying what stage/division I'm at in each post, but I have never posted on this site until the DOJ thing because it was actually the only place I could find info, so I'm not about to create a real account now), and the only contact I've had is the email a while ago saying I'm being further considered by Civil.

But there are sub-branches in Civil, and I have no idea which one is the one considering me. I can't even remember if we had to pick from within the Civil division branches when applying.

wait, were you selected for further consideration or a finalist? Because from what I gather, they're different... and I don't think any of us know exactly which branch within the civil division we've been selected for - just guessing from what I put as my top choices...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have kind of a related question. I've been selected as a finalist for Civil (in a way I wish I wasn't posting anonymously so I could stop clarifying what stage/division I'm at in each post, but I have never posted on this site until the DOJ thing because it was actually the only place I could find info, so I'm not about to create a real account now), and the only contact I've had is the email a while ago saying I'm being further considered by Civil.

But there are sub-branches in Civil, and I have no idea which one is the one considering me. I can't even remember if we had to pick from within the Civil division branches when applying.

wait, were you selected for further consideration or a finalist? Because from what I gather, they're different... and I don't think any of us know exactly which branch within the civil division we've been selected for - just guessing from what I put as my top choices...

That was me. I have been selected as a finalist, but the only affirmative contact I've received is the avue email a long time ago saying I'm being further considered. My status has changed to selected as finalist, but w/ no contact.

We have one person saying a reference was contacted and one saying there's Civ Div interviews, so I'm definitely not the furthest along in Civ if either of those are true. I'm just going to try to put it out of my mind until Thanksgiving and then assume I'm an alternate and will have to get lucky to get a spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That was me. I have been selected as a finalist, but the only affirmative contact I've received is the avue email a long time ago saying I'm being further considered. My status has changed to selected as finalist, but w/ no contact.

We have one person saying a reference was contacted and one saying there's Civ Div interviews, so I'm definitely not the furthest along in Civ if either of those are true. I'm just going to try to put it out of my mind until Thanksgiving and then assume I'm an alternate and will have to get lucky to get a spot.

And at least one person has gotten a civil appellate offer already.

BTW, though, how do you know whether your references have been contacted? Do you actually go around asking your references that?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I get the impression that it probably depends a lot on which branch of the civil division you're dealing with. Some probably call references, others don't. Some interview, others don't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Before I got my antitrust offer I was still at selected for further consideration. Didn't change to finalist until I got the offer. So it's possible that avue lady was correct about the status not changing in some cases.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:27 pm

What's confusing is she seemed to imply that it wouldn't change for anyone, which isnt the case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BTW, though, how do you know whether your references have been contacted? Do you actually go around asking your references that?

Not really. When I applied this summer, I didn't expect to get past the first round of this thing. It was the only application I filled out, until recently, that required references, so I didn't bother telling the people I listed. Then I came here for the first time and saw that some references were being contacted, so about 3 days ago I emailed the 3 people I listed to let them know they might be contacted soon. All of them said (without my prompting) that they'd let me know if they heard anything.

ender04

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Before I got my antitrust offer I was still at selected for further consideration. Didn't change to finalist until I got the offer. So it's possible that avue lady was correct about the status not changing in some cases.

That's cheery news. Thanks. 8)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 pm

AVUE STATUS UPDATES: Over the next few weeks, we will be reviewing the status messages displayed to applicants online. Many applicants continue to see "Application Received by DOJ" as the current status. Earlier in the process, this caused many applicants to worry that their application was not forwarded to the components they designated, so I thought a brief explanation was warranted.
<--From today's update

Does this make anyone question whether the avue person really knows what's going on currently with the status update changes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:33 pm

can anyone who has gotten an offer share how they were contacted about an offer? especially for those components that don't interview... did they call or send an email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BTW, though, how do you know whether your references have been contacted? Do you actually go around asking your references that?

Not really. When I applied this summer, I didn't expect to get past the first round of this thing. It was the only application I filled out, until recently, that required references, so I didn't bother telling the people I listed. Then I came here for the first time and saw that some references were being contacted, so about 3 days ago I emailed the 3 people I listed to let them know they might be contacted soon. All of them said (without my prompting) that they'd let me know if they heard anything.

Yeah, that seems reasonable. Maybe I'll do that with mine. Maybe not though...

Anonymous User wrote:
AVUE STATUS UPDATES: Over the next few weeks, we will be reviewing the status messages displayed to applicants online. Many applicants continue to see "Application Received by DOJ" as the current status. Earlier in the process, this caused many applicants to worry that their application was not forwarded to the components they designated, so I thought a brief explanation was warranted.
<--From today's update

Does this make anyone question whether the avue person really knows what's going on currently with the status update changes?

Meh, I dunno. She probably knows better than us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:51 pm

i talked to someone at antitrust. At least at one non DC branch does not conduct interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 pm

One of my antitrust interviewers called me and asked me to return her phone call. That's how I got the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:10 pm

http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/sp/spfaqs.htm

This site answers a lot of questions that have been asked in this thread. I suggest that everyone read it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of my antitrust interviewers called me and asked me to return her phone call. That's how I got the offer.

What sorts of questions did she ask you during the interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of my antitrust interviewers called me and asked me to return her phone call. That's how I got the offer.

What sorts of questions did she ask you during the interview?

It was pretty basic. Why antitrust, why criminal law. Then they just asked questions based on my responses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am

Finalist (as of yesterday) for immigration and references have not been contacted yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finalist (as of yesterday) for immigration and references have not been contacted yet.

wait, how do you know this? because people's status online went to "selected as finalist" yesterday...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finalist (as of yesterday) for immigration and references have not been contacted yet.

wait, how do you know this? because people's status online went to "selected as finalist" yesterday...

How do I know what?

My status changed to that yesterday, and I've been in touch with my recommenders who have said they haven't been contacted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:We'll know by Nov 17. Everybody just relax.

Do you have any background in tax/other graduate degrees?

I am asking because I also had an interview with the tax division, but have a slightly less impressive legal/reference list than you posted earlier. However, I do have an MBA and qualify to sit for the CPA exam.

Also, it seems to me that only interviewing 40 people when they can take 12 leaves chances for those who would like an offer pretty open, considering some will deny offers. Thoughts?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:We'll know by Nov 17. Everybody just relax.

Do you have any background in tax/other graduate degrees?

I am asking because I also had an interview with the tax division, but have a slightly less impressive legal/reference list than you posted earlier. However, I do have an MBA and qualify to sit for the CPA exam.

Also, it seems to me that only interviewing 40 people when they can take 12 leaves chances for those who would like an offer pretty open, considering some will deny offers. Thoughts?

I do not have a graduate degree or any background in tax. I studied accounting for a year at UCLA Extension after I graduated from an east coast LAC (in History). I passed Level II CFA Exam a few years ago while working in the industry. I stopped studying for Level III when I decided to go to law school and realized I would not have quite enough eligible experience to become a charterholder. But I'll probably take Level III if I end up at the SEC instead of DOJ.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 pm

I want this thread to pick up some steam..cmmmmmmmon offers

I wonder why antitrust is the only branch moving

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want this thread to pick up some steam..cmmmmmmmon offers

I wonder why antitrust is the only branch moving

Really? I don't want this thread to pick up steam until I get an offer. It will be pretty hard to be selected as a finalist and end up being an alternate, watching people get offers and hope they decline them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:29 pm

so has civil (any branch) started interviewing this year or what?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so has civil (any branch) started interviewing this year or what?

I had an interview with a civil branch and had references checked.

Return to “Legal Employment”