DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm willing to call the DOJ to figure out what the most recent update means if we can A) Figure out what we need to ask and B) Figure out a way that I can ask without revealing my identity

1. use google voice phone number.
2. Just ask them what selected for finalist is. That is it.


I'd have to contact a specific division, right? I dont think theres a general DOJ SLIP number.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm willing to call the DOJ to figure out what the most recent update means if we can A) Figure out what we need to ask and B) Figure out a way that I can ask without revealing my identity

1. use google voice phone number.
2. Just ask them what selected for finalist is. That is it.


Yeah, and if they ask you who you are, just hang up...?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 pm

I think one of us should just step up and call and be legit about it. Not it.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think one of us should just step up and call and be legit about it. Not it.


I'd tend to agree. But, at least for me, it wouldn't help me much if someone else did it. I always assume that a good amount of what I read on a forum is B.S. Particularly an anonymous forum. So someone else assuring me that they called and really got told x by the DOJ people doesn't really convince me of much. That's kind of why I rely on the Avue person more. I mean, she may not be 100% right about everything, but at least she is a real live person who exists and has a name that she isn't afraid to use (note: no offense to anyone; I don't use my name on forums, either).

So, yeah, I'm going to stick with the attitude that we'll know for sure by Nov. 17th(ish). That's not so far away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 pm

ender04 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think one of us should just step up and call and be legit about it. Not it.


I'd tend to agree. But, at least for me, it wouldn't help me much if someone else did it. I always assume that a good amount of what I read on a forum is B.S. Particularly an anonymous forum. So someone else assuring me that they called and really got told x by the DOJ people doesn't really convince me of much. That's kind of why I rely on the Avue person more. I mean, she may not be 100% right about everything, but at least she is a real live person who exists and has a name that she isn't afraid to use (note: no offense to anyone; I don't use my name on forums, either).

So, yeah, I'm going to stick with the attitude that we'll know for sure by Nov. 17th(ish). That's not so far away.


I mean, the Avue community person today said some people won't know until January or February, I thought. Where is this "we'll all know by Nov. 17th" coming from?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ender04 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think one of us should just step up and call and be legit about it. Not it.


I'd tend to agree. But, at least for me, it wouldn't help me much if someone else did it. I always assume that a good amount of what I read on a forum is B.S. Particularly an anonymous forum. So someone else assuring me that they called and really got told x by the DOJ people doesn't really convince me of much. That's kind of why I rely on the Avue person more. I mean, she may not be 100% right about everything, but at least she is a real live person who exists and has a name that she isn't afraid to use (note: no offense to anyone; I don't use my name on forums, either).

So, yeah, I'm going to stick with the attitude that we'll know for sure by Nov. 17th(ish). That's not so far away.


I mean, the Avue community person today said some people won't know until January or February, I thought. Where is this "we'll all know by Nov. 17th" coming from?


We'll all know if we're finalists or not. She said some people won't know if they got offers until then.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah, I just went back and reread the Avue post and realized that "we'll all know by Nov. 17th" meant that the poster thinks we'll know whether we're finalists or not. But that's not true:

The post says finalists will be identified by Nov. 17th. To me that sounds like "identified by the DOJ internally." And she goes on to say that finalists won't see a status change online (though Civil and Antitrust and some Immigration people have been moved to finalist).

So if you go by what she wrote, you won't know anything more by the 17th than you knew before.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I just went back and reread the Avue post and realized that "we'll all know by Nov. 17th" meant that the poster thinks we'll know whether we're finalists or not. But that's not true:

The post says finalists will be identified by Nov. 17th. To me that sounds like "identified by the DOJ internally." And she goes on to say that finalists won't see a status change online (though Civil and Antitrust and some Immigration people have been moved to finalist).

So if you go by what she wrote, you won't know anything more by the 17th than you knew before.


So, there are two sets of people with angst here.

First (and this is my group) are the people not identified as finalists online. We'll at least know whether we're rejectified or not by (a little after) the 17th (since she said those not selected as finalists will be told soon thereafter). I assume that's what my set's concerned with.

Second (and I assume this is your group) are the people already identified as finalists online. You will also learn something (a little after) the 17th if you aren't rejectified. Meaning that you're a finalist as Avue person defines it (either hired or an alternate - although who knows what kind of chance an alternate has).
Last edited by ender04 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:40 pm

WE'RE ALL LOSING OUR MINDS; PLEASE PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY, DOJ

edit: also, i know someone who got pulled off the alternate list last year. this is absolutely not helpful, but maybe calming for our insane souls.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:41 pm

I know someone who was listed as a finalist before she received her interview invitation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who was listed as a finalist before she received her interview invitation.


For what branch?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who was listed as a finalist before she received her interview invitation.


For what branch?


Civil

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:WE'RE ALL LOSING OUR MINDS; PLEASE PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY, DOJ


Agreed.

Although at least they're not as bad as some firms. I got a snail mail rejection letter postmarked October 28 from a V100 firm. It's like, wow, thanks for the update. I never would've guessed from the fact that law firm hiring season was totally over like a month ago (for my school).
Last edited by ender04 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who was listed as a finalist before she received her interview invitation.


For what branch?


Civil


What branch within Civil?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 pm

ender04 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who was listed as a finalist before she received her interview invitation.


For what branch?


Civil


What branch within Civil?


I don't know if she'd appreciate me getting that specific...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 pm

ender04 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:WE'RE ALL LOSING OUR MINDS; PLEASE PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY, DOJ


Agreed.

Although at least they're not as bad as some firms. I got a snail mail rejection letter postmarked October 28 from a V100 firm. It's like, wow, thanks for the update. I never would've guessed from the fact that law firm hiring season was totally over like a month ago (for my school).


From the losing their mind poster:

I'm still waiting on a bunch of firms, too. I'm planning to be the very last person still participating in OGI (or whatever its called at this point).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 pm

ender04 wrote:What branch within Civil?

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if she'd appreciate me getting that specific...



Fair enough.

Anyone willing to share on which branches within Civil they've gotten jobs/interviews for? I'll volunteer one (not for me, for someone I know): civil appellate (job; not sure if interviewed).
Last edited by ender04 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:49 pm

So there are definitely civil interviews, then? Great... :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So there are definitely civil interviews, then? Great... :|


that's just what I was thinking...

I think it's time to just resign myself to the fact that I'm not going to know anything for a while... but I guess no news is good news, right? right?! :shock:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I think it's time for us to all step away from the computers.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it's time for us to all step away from the computers.


But isn't this bringing back fond memories? It seems like just yesterday that I was obsessing over TS1 and TS2 emails...
Last edited by ender04 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 pm

ender04 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think it's time for us to all step away from the computers.


But isn't this bringing back fond memories? It seems like just yesterday that I was obsessing over TS1 and TS2 emails...


And whether an LSAT score release thread was legit

I hope one of these days we are cool enough to realize how uncool we once were.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ender04 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think it's time for us to all step away from the computers.


But isn't this bringing back fond memories? It seems like just yesterday that I was obsessing over TS1 and TS2 emails...


And whether an LSAT score release thread was legit

I hope one of these days we are cool enough to realize how uncool we once were.


Oh, I realize. And I realize how uncool I still am.

Um, so, back on my uncool topic, I'm still interested in who's heard from what Civil branches. So I'm going to mention it again so it doesn't get drowned out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:04 pm

I have kind of a related question. I've been selected as a finalist for Civil (in a way I wish I wasn't posting anonymously so I could stop clarifying what stage/division I'm at in each post, but I have never posted on this site until the DOJ thing because it was actually the only place I could find info, so I'm not about to create a real account now), and the only contact I've had is the email a while ago saying I'm being further considered by Civil.

But there are sub-branches in Civil, and I have no idea which one is the one considering me. I can't even remember if we had to pick from within the Civil division branches when applying.

ender04
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 am

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have kind of a related question. I've been selected as a finalist for Civil (in a way I wish I wasn't posting anonymously so I could stop clarifying what stage/division I'm at in each post, but I have never posted on this site until the DOJ thing because it was actually the only place I could find info, so I'm not about to create a real account now), and the only contact I've had is the email a while ago saying I'm being further considered by Civil.

But there are sub-branches in Civil, and I have no idea which one is the one considering me. I can't even remember if we had to pick from within the Civil division branches when applying.


Yeah, you ranked in your application. You can "View and Print" your application on Avue still so you can see what you put down. But there's no way to tell which branch is actually considering you, as far as I know. Although I'm not a finalist so there may be some way I don't know of.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.