DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is the poster who commented earlier about not having advanced past "Selected for further consideration" for Civil Division. Curiously, I have not received a rejection email from DOJ today (though two of my classmates who also applied to Civil Division received their rejection emails today, as have a few people on TLS in this forum), but my status is still marked at "Selected for further consideration." Thoughts on whether this is just slow email or something more (like an internal alternate)? I truly doubt that it's more than just slow email or the system forgetting to send me a rejection, but I thought I'd post this and see if anyone else had a similar experience.

I'm in the same boat. Don't know what to make of it though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:So it does seem like only Civil and Antitrust have switched to finalist...

And so far only antitrust has made offers (that we know of)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 am

I thought we heard news of a Civil offer? May be wrong, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Apparently BOP offers are going out ~Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:34 pm

talked to career center.. told me finalist to offer chances are generally 10 -1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:talked to career center.. told me finalist to offer chances are generally 10 -1

Really? Federal Programs in the Civil Division, for instance, is going to interview or do reference checks on 60 finalists? Seems a little off (probably, in part, because I want my chances to be better than that).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:talked to career center.. told me finalist to offer chances are generally 10 -1

Really? Federal Programs in the Civil Division, for instance, is going to interview or do reference checks on 60 finalists? Seems a little off (probably, in part, because I want my chances to be better than that).

Well, just because you make it to the "finalist" stage doesn't mean they're going to contact your references. They may do an additional thinning out after selecting finalists. So, say there were 60 finalists chosen. Maybe within those finalists, they pick the 10 they like best to check references and, of those, pick 6 to make first-round offers to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, just because you make it to the "finalist" stage doesn't mean they're going to contact your references. They may do an additional thinning out after selecting finalists. So, say there were 60 finalists chosen. Maybe within those finalists, they pick the 10 they like best to check references and, of those, pick 6 to make first-round offers to.

Sounds like you're describing the cut that presumably happens when certain applicants go from selected for further consideration (at which time they evaluate the writing sample and e-resume) to finalist. How many different "thinnings" can there possibly be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:14 pm

SUMMER LAW INTERN PROGRAM: All components that formally participate in the SLIP have notified their candidates and started the interview process. "Regrets" messages to all applicants not selected for further consideration were issued November 1st. In addition, we had several components/offices that were "informal" participants who have also made their selections and notified their candidates. Those offices generally were unable to commit to hiring in time to be listed on the online application, but have committed to hiring at least one summer intern from the SLIP applicant pool. They are: The USAOs for the Middle District of Pennsylvania and for the Southern District of of Alabama; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; and the Office of Justice Programs/Office of Civil Rights. SLIP finalists will also be identified by November 17th with first-round offers likely to go out prior to Thanksgiving. "Finalists" are defined as first-round offer candidates and alternates. Finalists do not see a change in their online status; however, non-finalists will shortly be notified that they are no longer under consideration. Please be advised that DOJ is operating under a continuing resolution for its budget; several SLIP components are awaiting budget data for 2011 and may issue a few offers on the regular timeline, then delay issuing additional offers until January / February. Our office has encouraged these components to communicate directly with their finalists regarding their individual hiring timelines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SUMMER LAW INTERN PROGRAM: . . . "Finalists" are defined as first-round offer candidates and alternates. Finalists do not see a change in their online status; however, non-finalists will shortly be notified that they are no longer under consideration. . . .

Good to know, but that doesn't answer the ratio question, does it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is the poster who commented earlier about not having advanced past "Selected for further consideration" for Civil Division. Curiously, I have not received a rejection email from DOJ today (though two of my classmates who also applied to Civil Division received their rejection emails today, as have a few people on TLS in this forum), but my status is still marked at "Selected for further consideration." Thoughts on whether this is just slow email or something more (like an internal alternate)? I truly doubt that it's more than just slow email or the system forgetting to send me a rejection, but I thought I'd post this and see if anyone else had a similar experience.

I'm in the same boat. Don't know what to make of it though.

Yep, the info on the community forum is probably the best info so far on this. Supposedly no division goes to finalist online. So I think we're safe.

My impression from talking to people is that at least some Civil App acceptances have gone out. Maybe that's what people were talking about before.

Again, the stuff from the community forum says:

SUMMER LAW INTERN PROGRAM: All components that formally participate in the SLIP have notified their candidates and started the interview process. "Regrets" messages to all applicants not selected for further consideration were issued November 1st. In addition, we had several components/offices that were "informal" participants who have also made their selections and notified their candidates. Those offices generally were unable to commit to hiring in time to be listed on the online application, but have committed to hiring at least one summer intern from the SLIP applicant pool. They are: The USAOs for the Middle District of Pennsylvania and for the Southern District of of Alabama; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; and the Office of Justice Programs/Office of Civil Rights. SLIP finalists will also be identified by November 17th with first-round offers likely to go out prior to Thanksgiving. "Finalists" are defined as first-round offer candidates and alternates. Finalists do not see a change in their online status; however, non-finalists will shortly be notified that they are no longer under consideration. Please be advised that DOJ is operating under a continuing resolution for its budget; several SLIP components are awaiting budget data for 2011 and may issue a few offers on the regular timeline, then delay issuing additional offers until January / February. Our office has encouraged these components to communicate directly with their finalists regarding their individual hiring timelines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:41 pm

weird... so "selected as a finalist" does not actually mean you are a finalist in terms of being an alternate or getting an offer.....

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SUMMER LAW INTERN PROGRAM: . . . "Finalists" are defined as first-round offer candidates and alternates. Finalists do not see a change in their online status; however, non-finalists will shortly be notified that they are no longer under consideration. . . .

Good to know, but that doesn't answer the ratio question, does it?

My best guess is 3-4 to 1 based on what they told me in the interview. I'm assuming interview = finalist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:05 pm

SUMMER LAW INTERN PROGRAM: All components that formally participate in the SLIP have notified their candidates and started the interview process. "Regrets" messages to all applicants not selected for further consideration were issued November 1st. . . . SLIP finalists will also be identified by November 17th with first-round offers likely to go out prior to Thanksgiving. "Finalists" are defined as first-round offer candidates and alternates. Finalists do not see a change in their online status; however, non-finalists will shortly be notified that they are no longer under consideration.

I have so many questions about this section of the update, but obviously don't want to ask on the DOJ community board. Like a lot of people here, I was "selected as a finalist" for the Civil Division in the last few weeks, but have never been contacted in any way other than receiving the "you've been selected for further consideration" email a long time ago.

Does that further consideration email coupled with the fact that it doesn't seem the Civil Division is doing interviews = "All components that formally participate in the SLIP have notified their candidates and started the interview process" ?

If finalists don't see a change in the online status, what's with the selected as finalist status? Does that statement not apply to the Civil Division and Antitrust division? The status change obviously means we haven't been ruled out, but does it mean "Finalist" in that we are going to get a first-round offer or be an alternate, as that quoted statement suggests?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Finalists do not see a change in their online status

Am I missing something, because why would she say this when peoples statuses on here have already switched to finalist... confusssssed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:39 pm

anyone have the balls to call and ask?
the post online just made things more confusing.....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Resident Immigration Poster:

Just switched to finalist. Now I REALLY want to know what the heck that's supposed to mean given the recent community update.

If this all ends in a crushing defeat, I will be very, very sad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm willing to call the DOJ to figure out what the most recent update means if we can A) Figure out what we need to ask and B) Figure out a way that I can ask without revealing my identity

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

What types of questions did they ask during the Civil Division interview? How soon after did you find out you got an offer? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Resident Immigration Poster:

Just switched to finalist. Now I REALLY want to know what the heck that's supposed to mean given the recent community update.

The only portion of the community update I find confusing is the part that says finalists' online status will not change -- that's obviously not true.

Other than that, it seems quite clear to me that finalists = people who will get first-round offers + alternates. So congratulations!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Thank you! The "finalists statuses will not change" threw me off too. I was wondering if the online designation of finalist is different than being selected as an actual finalist, but who knows.

EOIR doesn't do interviews, so I'm not sure what happens at the finalist stage...or any stage...haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Other than that, it seems quite clear to me that finalists = people who will get first-round offers + alternates. So congratulations!

The problem is that, since she wrote that finalists' status won't change, it's entirely possible that "finalist" means something other than having your status changed to "selected as finalist." But, that's pretty unlikely I guess, and we're just being paranoid. I know I'm being paranoid because this is all I've got at this point, and I want it more than the things I've been rejected from so far.

If it's true that finalist status = first-round offer and alternates, I hope there are very few alternates on the list. And that a lot of people decline. Seems unlikely on both counts, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The only portion of the community update I find confusing is the part that says finalists' online status will not change -- that's obviously not true.

I don't think finalist = sure thing. There has to be an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think finalist = sure thing. There has to be an interview.

I'm not saying its a sure thing, but EOIR is definitely not doing interviews

Return to “Legal Employment”