DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know the ratio between "components" and interview?

My buddy at my old T50 school told me he already got selected with an offer in the civil rights division. I donno if he was just pulling my chain..... Do they interview before offering?

He's probably yanking your chain, though the SLIP website does say that "some components make offers based on a review of the application package only." I highly doubt any SLIP offers have gone out for any component considering the Honors program hasn't even gotten that far.

Anonymous User wrote:I think people in here are conflating SLIP w/ Honors

I think you're right. For the record, all those xoxo posters seem to be Honors candidates, not 2Ls applying for SLIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Can previous posters who've had status changes confirm whether they applied to SLIP or to Honors?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:47 pm

I highly doubt any SLIP offers have gone out for any component considering the Honors program hasn't even gotten that far.

I didn't get my offer until late October last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Mine still says "Application Received by DOJ" but I got an email from a component (which wasn't listed on the preference page but is informally participating) asking for an interview. Applying to SLIP. The component is only taking 1 person so I don't want to out it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 pm

I applied SLIP

Anonymous User wrote:Can previous posters who've had status changes confirm whether they applied to SLIP or to Honors?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm another person who reported being referred to components earlier and I applied SLIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Any SLIP rejections go out today?

They were supposed to happen today, but they might be behind

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any SLIP rejections go out today?

How do rejections go out? And if you've been referred to components does that mean you've passed the initial rejection hurdle?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:30 pm

I think its safe to say that none of us in here have any idea whats going on right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:37 pm

What is your basis for this? Where did you get that rejections were "supposed to happen" today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What is your basis for this? Where did you get that rejections were "supposed to happen" today?

SLIP website says they're sending out emails by Sep 30 to all those not selected for an interview with at least one of their selected branches. I'm guessing they're behind because we would've caught wind of rejections on here.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Ok, figured I'd put out this question in here since a most of you have probably already done the research. But does the SLIP almost guarantee the Honors the same way an SA position does? And if not is it worth it to give up an SA postion for SLIP as you now are likely to not get Biglaw and not get honors?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Ok, figured I'd put out this question in here since a most of you have probably already done the research. But does the SLIP almost guarantee the Honors the same way an SA position does? And if not is it worth it to give up an SA postion for SLIP as you now are likely to not get Biglaw and not get honors?

Based on what I know, they will make offers to people in SLIP (something that doesn't happen with unpaid internships), but the correlation isn't as strong as it is with law firms; it's a strong possibility, but not close to guaranteed.

Historically from what I've been told (exploring the same topic), DOJ SLIP is one of the few things you can do that's not law firm related that'll leave the door open to law firms. DOJ SLIP is a rare and positive thing to do, and many people who do it are the types that are also able to get clerkships after law school, and by then they're rather attractive candidates for law firms at least historically. However, given the way 3L hiring has practically shut down ITE, it's hard to really gauge if that's true at all or not still.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Ok, figured I'd put out this question in here since a most of you have probably already done the research. But does the SLIP almost guarantee the Honors the same way an SA position does? And if not is it worth it to give up an SA postion for SLIP as you now are likely to not get Biglaw and not get honors?

No it does not guarantee you have a job. Some sections in the DOJ are approved to make full time offers, but that is more of an exception than general practice. I don't really understand the rest of your question... are you saying that a SA position gets you an Honors job at the DOJ? If you want to work for the fed gov when you graduate, and haven't shown interest/don't have work experience doing public interest, than you should try to get a job through DOJ. Note that if you have an offer with a firm, you're allowed to keep it open if you're waiting on a public interest decision (DOJ included).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 pm

I don't know if TLS ever came to a consensus on this, but I wouldn't bet SLIP gives people Honors program guarantees. You'd think if SLIP was the equivalent of a SA it would be more publicized.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if TLS ever came to a consensus on this, but I wouldn't bet SLIP gives people Honors program guarantees. You'd think if SLIP was the equivalent of a SA it would be more publicized.

Some SLIP participants get job offers at the end of the summer, but I don't think they're spots in the Honors program specifically.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No it does not guarantee you have a job. Some sections in the DOJ are approved to make full time offers, but that is more of an exception than general practice. I don't really understand the rest of your question... are you saying that a SA position gets you an Honors job at the DOJ? If you want to work for the fed gov when you graduate, and haven't shown interest/don't have work experience doing public interest, than you should try to get a job through DOJ. Note that if you have an offer with a firm, you're allowed to keep it open if you're waiting on a public interest decision (DOJ included).

Ok, I'll try to rephrase. I figure that for a lot of people, if they don't get the Honors program they are likely to use Biglaw as a backup. DOJ is the top of the government jobs and if you don't get DOJ i'm sure quite a few people would rather then go work for a v10 than the bureau of transportation. So is it a big gamble to take the SLIP gig instead of an SA gig? Would it be better to take the SA gig and then try to decide between a firm offer and the Honors if you get that opportunity? This is assuming that SLIP doesn't really give people a boost in getting into the Honors program, which is what I think you are saying.

Basically, I'm a couple years from making this decision, assuming I even have a chance which of course is not that likely. But I already work for the government under the DOJ umbrella and I'm wondering if that would be sufficient to still have a chance at honors. But if SLIP does give a considerable boost too get into the DOJ then I would rather do that.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Basically, I'm a couple years from making this decision

Then you have plenty of time to find out, and hopefully more people on TLS will know by then. Right now I don't think anyone here has the definitive answers you're seeking, and folks are more concerned about SLIP applications right now and how they're going.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Basically, I'm a couple years from making this decision

Then you have plenty of time to find out, and hopefully more people on TLS will know by then. Right now I don't think anyone here has the definitive answers you're seeking, and folks are more concerned about SLIP applications right now and how they're going.

It was just an honest question, people are free to respond or not. Not sure why you are taking issue with it especially since I didn't spam or post multiple times. If no one had responded I would have let it be, and it seemed better to post in an already made thread than to start a brand new one.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:It was just an honest question, people are free to respond or not. Not sure why you are taking issue with it especially since I didn't spam or post multiple times. If no one had responded I would have let it be, and it seemed better to post in an already made thread than to start a brand new one.

I didn't mean that in a mod-hat way, just in a "I don't think you're gonna find what you're looking for here" way. It was an attempt at an honest answer to an honest question. I just doubt you'll find what you're looking for here right now.

This is one of the few problems TLS still has; there are not enough people who've been fully through the entire process, and as a result there are these gaps. In a year or two that gap will hopefully be filled by the folks who're getting DOJ SLIP right now and will know what happens afterward by this time next year. My point was just that there will be more people who know a year or two from now than there are right now, so you're just more likely to get a better answer if you're patient about asking.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:It was just an honest question, people are free to respond or not. Not sure why you are taking issue with it especially since I didn't spam or post multiple times. If no one had responded I would have let it be, and it seemed better to post in an already made thread than to start a brand new one.

I didn't mean that in a mod-hat way, just in a "I don't think you're gonna find what you're looking for here" way. It was an attempt at an honest answer to an honest question. I just doubt you'll find what you're looking for here right now.

This is one of the few problems TLS still has; there are not enough people who've been fully through the entire process, and as a result there are these gaps. In a year or two that gap will hopefully be filled by the folks who're getting DOJ SLIP right now and will know what happens afterward by this time next year. My point was just that there will be more people who know a year or two from now than there are right now, so you're just more likely to get a better answer if you're patient about asking.

Ok, I just read the first post in a different way then you meant it I guess. Thanks though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:14 pm

There's a "Community" section next to "Application Status" on the avue site. Someone asked:

SLIP interview decisions
Good morning. I was reading the posts and saw that decisions for the honors program will be out later today. Is there an information on when SLIP decisions will be made? Thank you.

Answer:
We anticipate that most of the SLIP notifications will go out next week. The U.S. Attorney's Offices for the District of Wyoming and the Western District of Oklahoma accellerated their reviews. Candidates selected by those two offices have already been notified.

So I would try not to worry too much if your status hasn't changed, etc. until next week when you know for sure that they've made all their decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if TLS ever came to a consensus on this, but I wouldn't bet SLIP gives people Honors program guarantees. You'd think if SLIP was the equivalent of a SA it would be more publicized.

Some SLIP participants get job offers at the end of the summer, but I don't think they're spots in the Honors program specifically.

There's an awful lot of information on the web if you just look:

http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/sp/spfaqs.htm#i

I. Offers for Permanent Employment Following Summer Law Internships

The Department permits components to issue offers for permanent employment following law school graduation to interns hired under the Summer Law Intern Program (SLIP) through a “funnel offer” directly into the Attorney General’s Honors Program for the following year. Unlike the practice in private law firms, funnel offers are issued sparingly to a relatively small number of SLIP participants. Interns working at the Department through student programs other than the formal SLIP are not eligible for funnel offers.

Components can, at their discretion; issue funnel offers to SLIP participants prior to September 15th, with a response deadline of November 1st. SLIP participants who receive a funnel offer and intend to accept it must still apply to the Attorney General’s Honors Program and designate the issuing component as an employment preference, so that they are incorporated into the Department’s database for tracking and communications purposes.

Any component participating in the Honors Program may issue a funnel offer to any intern who was hired through the SLIP, even if the student actually worked for a different component. For this reason, Honors Program applicants who participated in the SLIP may want to consider deferring final certification and submission of their Honors Program application until later in the application period, but prior to the application deadline, so that they can list the issuing component as an employment preference.

If you have already received a funnel offer at the time you complete your Honors Program application, be sure to list that component as an employment preference on your application. If you were an intern hired through the Summer Law Intern Program who has not received a funnel offer at the time you certify and submit your application, but think that you may receive a funnel offer, then list the component as an employment preference. You may list other components as employment preferences also; however, you must respond to a funnel offer by the appropriate deadline, even if you were selected for an Honors Program interview by another component. The Department will not extend the decision deadline on the funnel offer. If you elect to continue through the interview process, there is no guarantee that you will receive an offer from the component(s) that selected you for an interview or a second offer from the component that issued the funnel offer. If you accept a funnel offer, you will no longer be eligible to interview with any other component.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Does anyone have a status other than sent to components or application complete?

Return to “Legal Employment”