DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to worry if you are waiting for SLIP- just ask the firm to extend the deadline or discuss a split. NALP guidelines are pretty clear:

http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinciplesandstandards#Part_V._General_Standards

Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer until as late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or government organizations. Candidates may hold open only one offer in such circumstances. Employers are encouraged to grant such requests.

I donno about you.. but in this hiring environment if you do that to the firms it might prevent you from getting offered back for a perm position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does DOJ allow splits for SLIP? I'd love to split but don't know if it's a real option.

The firm I'll be summering with claims they had people split with the DOJ last year, although I don't know whether it was for SLIP or a volunteer position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does DOJ allow splits for SLIP? I'd love to split but don't know if it's a real option.

The firm I'll be summering with claims they had people split with the DOJ last year, although I don't know whether it was for SLIP or a volunteer position.

Think of it another way- the firm can likely figure out if they want you in about 3 weeks. By allowing a split they can save a bunch of money- not paying you for 10 weeks. Just work your butt off while you're there to impress and they'll love you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Anyone else notice a change to the avue website?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:23 pm

did anyone get a confirmation email after sending in writing sample and transcript?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:did anyone get a confirmation email after sending in writing sample and transcript?

You won't get a confirmation. Call the ARC for your Division (numbers are on the DoJ website) and just ask if they got your stuff. They should be able to check their database and tell you pretty quickly whether or not it was received.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:50 pm

I just had my interview with Tax Division. It was with a single interviewer and went for 65 minutes (was supposed to be 30). He said they are interviewing 3-4 people for each position, and that offers will be made in November sometime before Thanksgiving. Splitting the summer IS allowed as long as you are with the Division for six weeks. However, you ARE allowed to stay for the whole summer. If you stay the whole summer you may be able to work in two of the three sections (Civil Trial, Appellate or Criminal Enforcement).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Danteshek wrote:I just had my interview with Tax Division. It was with a single interviewer and went for 65 minutes (was supposed to be 30). He said they are interviewing 3-4 people for each position, and that offers will be made in November sometime before Thanksgiving. Splitting the summer IS allowed as long as you are with the Division for six weeks. However, you ARE allowed to stay for the whole summer. If you stay the whole summer you may be able to work in two of the three sections (Civil Trial, Appellate or Criminal Enforcement).

Splitting as in 3 weeks then another 3?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:45 pm

If your interview only went for the indicated amount of time but seemed great in other respects, is that bad?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If your interview only went for the indicated amount of time but seemed great in other respects, is that bad?

Personally I don't think it sounds bad at all. Who did you interview with?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I just had my interview with Tax Division. It was with a single interviewer and went for 65 minutes (was supposed to be 30). He said they are interviewing 3-4 people for each position, and that offers will be made in November sometime before Thanksgiving. Splitting the summer IS allowed as long as you are with the Division for six weeks. However, you ARE allowed to stay for the whole summer. If you stay the whole summer you may be able to work in two of the three sections (Civil Trial, Appellate or Criminal Enforcement).

I have no idea what you are asking. You can work for 6 weeks at DOJ then and go somewhere else if you want. I would not recommend it though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If your interview only went for the indicated amount of time but seemed great in other respects, is that bad?

Personally I don't think it sounds bad at all. Who did you interview with?

antitrust

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 pm

i meant split: 3 weeks then firm job. Then 3 weeks after that.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i meant split: 3 weeks then firm job. Then 3 weeks after that.

Ask during your interview. I assume you are interviewing for Tax?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i meant split: 3 weeks then firm job. Then 3 weeks after that.

No not tax. Just trying to get some general information...

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Asking DOJ to split is already a lot to ask. Asking them to bend over backwards to accommodate your desire to work in private practice is a bit much. Are you seriously interested in public service? If not, I think the right thing to do is to decline the interview and give someone else a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Asking DOJ to split is already a lot to ask. Asking them to bend over backwards to accommodate your desire to work in private practice is a bit much. Are you seriously interested in public service? If not, I think the right thing to do is to decline the interview and give someone else a chance.

I don't see why asking DOJ to split is a big deal. The FAQs clearly state that "the Department's work schedule is flexible" and that candidates should ask their component contact about splitting when offered.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:22 am

Danteshek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have no idea what you are asking. You can work for 6 weeks at DOJ then and go somewhere else if you want. I would not recommend it though.

Why would you not recommend splitting? I know several people who split between DOJ and a firm this past summer and had great experiences.

I agree that the 3/3 split is unlikely, but outside of that, you seem to be giving advice based on few facts.

Edited to be less harsh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:55 pm

I told them I planned to split with a firm in my interview. I thought it was assumed, and they seemed to think so too. Actually it was a great way to show interest in a particular area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I told them I planned to split with a firm in my interview. I thought it was assumed, and they seemed to think so too. Actually it was a great way to show interest in a particular area.

What component did you interview with? Also, have you heard back yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:12 am

Pre-clerks. Any movement from selected for further consideration?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Has anyone selected as a finalist with the Civil Division heard anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone selected as a finalist with the Civil Division heard anything?

not a word.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to worry if you are waiting for SLIP- just ask the firm to extend the deadline or discuss a split. NALP guidelines are pretty clear:

http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinciplesandstandards#Part_V._General_Standards

Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer until as late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or government organizations. Candidates may hold open only one offer in such circumstances. Employers are encouraged to grant such requests.

I donno about you.. but in this hiring environment if you do that to the firms it might prevent you from getting offered back for a perm position.

Has anyone tried doing this? I'm considering asking one law firm where I have an offer to extend the deadline pursuant to NALP guidelines but I'm worried about the potential reprecussions given this current hiring environment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Why not just tell the firm you have applied to SLIP and if you get it you would like to split, what's the big deal in asking? You're not asking to keep the offer "open" as in an all or nothing thing, just saying you might like to try DOJ too.

As noted elsewhere, SLIP is usually 6 weeks, and most/many firms already have a policy on splitting, just requiring that you do firm first. DOJ knows all about this and will accomodate you whenever you can get away from the firm.

It's really NOT a big deal.

Return to “Legal Employment”