DOJ SLIP 2010

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Has anyone received an invitation to interview with the Civil Division since being selected for further consideration?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an invitation to interview with the Civil Division since being selected for further consideration?

Nope, not yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Does the Civil division do interviews or do they hire you just on the basis of your resume/writing sample/transcript/application?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an invitation to interview with the Civil Division since being selected for further consideration?

The window hasn't even closed yet on sending in writing samples and resumes. I imagine we'll hear about these next week, if they conduct interviews at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Are we supposed to receive a confirmation of receipt of our resume/writing sample to the Civil Division?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Is anyone else still at "Application Received by DOJ"? I'm a bit confused as to why I haven't even switched to "Referred to Components" yet.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Anyone else under consideration by Tax Division?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:04 am

Has anyone had there phone interview yet? If yes, did your interviewer(s) say there is a part two which is an in-person interview? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had there phone interview yet? If yes, did your interviewer(s) say there is a part two which is an in-person interview? Thanks!

Had my phone interview. No mention of that. As far as I'm aware, the phone interview is it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else still at "Application Received by DOJ"? I'm a bit confused as to why I haven't even switched to "Referred to Components" yet.

I'm still there too. Ding pending?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else still at "Application Received by DOJ"? I'm a bit confused as to why I haven't even switched to "Referred to Components" yet.

Ditto, with a V5 offer to boot. DOJ's sure making it hard to give up BigLaw for government service.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had there phone interview yet? If yes, did your interviewer(s) say there is a part two which is an in-person interview? Thanks!

Had my phone interview. No mention of that. As far as I'm aware, the phone interview is it.

Thanks for the response! May I ask, which component did you interview with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Has anyone had there phone interview yet? If yes, did your interviewer(s) say there is a part two which is an in-person interview? Thanks!

I got my offer by phone a little over a week after the phone interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I got my offer by phone a little over a week after the phone interview.

Which division?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Antitrust

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ditto, with a V5 offer to boot. DOJ's sure making it hard to give up BigLaw for government service.

You can keep that to yourself.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Actually, stuff like that can probably be useful to people trying to figure out if success in BigLaw correlates to success at the DOJ, so you should probably not go around telling people to "keep it to themselves".

Edit: Given a timeout for disregarding a warning not to tell other posters what to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely for us at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm confused. What does it mean when my application says "referred to components" yet I have not heard a thing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Antitrust

DC branch or other ones?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Antitrust

DC branch or other ones?

Non-DC. Prefer not to specify which.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:30 pm

I was reading the DOJ background check. One of the issues is failure to fulfill tax obligations.
I have never filed income taxes before. Is that going to be a problem?

tingles

Postby tingles » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ditto, with a V5 offer to boot. DOJ's sure making it hard to give up BigLaw for government service.

Actually, stuff like that can probably be useful to people trying to figure out if success in BigLaw correlates to success at the DOJ, so you should probably not go around telling people to "keep it to themselves".

I don't see how saying you have an offer to work at a V5 = success in Biglaw, or success at the DOJ. An offer does not equal success. Obtaining a summer associate position does not guarantee the person a full-time job. Now if the person said they'd work at a V5, and then received an offer at the DOJ - then correlation could be established in success in obtaining a SLIP position.

I honestly read the post as someone bragging that they had a V5 offer - good for them, but there's plenty of us that don't have offers, or not with such great firms. It's better to be sensitive instead of bragging about all your wonderful opportunities.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:10 pm

tingles wrote:I don't see how saying you have an offer to work at a V5 = success in Biglaw

It's success at getting a BigLaw offer, since he got a V5 offer. The point is, you can be good enough to get an offer from a V5 (which is incredibly difficult, as evidenced by the fact that people keep treating it as bragging when someone mentions they did it) and still not be able to get a DOJ SLIP offer. That could be useful info to know for some people, especially to correct those who might have the wrong idea that whatever makes you good enough to get V-whatever offers ITE will also make you good enough to get SLIP.

People should encourage and not discourage sharing of legal hiring information on here. It's what this forum is for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
tingles wrote:I don't see how saying you have an offer to work at a V5 = success in Biglaw

It's success at getting a BigLaw offer, since he got a V5 offer. The point is, you can be good enough to get an offer from a V5 (which is incredibly difficult, as evidenced by the fact that people keep treating it as bragging when someone mentions they did it) and still not be able to get a DOJ SLIP offer. That could be useful info to know for some people, especially to correct those who might have the wrong idea that whatever makes you good enough to get V-whatever offers ITE will also make you good enough to get SLIP.

People should encourage and not discourage sharing of legal hiring information on here. It's what this forum is for.

I posted the comment in question. I'm sorry if I came across as arrogant; that was not my intention. I was just expressing my puzzlement at how firms and the DOJ could be looking for such different attributes in a candidate so as to achieve this result.

Return to “Legal Employment”