DOJ SLIP 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Other than that, it seems quite clear to me that finalists = people who will get first-round offers + alternates. So congratulations!
The problem is that, since she wrote that finalists' status won't change, it's entirely possible that "finalist" means something other than having your status changed to "selected as finalist." But, that's pretty unlikely I guess, and we're just being paranoid. I know I'm being paranoid because this is all I've got at this point, and I want it more than the things I've been rejected from so far.

If it's true that finalist status = first-round offer and alternates, I hope there are very few alternates on the list. And that a lot of people decline. Seems unlikely on both counts, though.
I'm right there with you...best of luck to us all

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Can we get a consensus on which divisions are DEFINITELY doing interviews? Do we just have confirmation that antitrust is and immigration is not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Definitely BOP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:52 pm

I thought it was pretty unanimous that Civil Division is not doing any interviews, but I could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought it was pretty unanimous that Civil Division is not doing any interviews, but I could be wrong.
I think people have been confused about this throughout the thread...

So, we have:

BOP and Antitrust: interviews

Immigration: No interviews

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 pm

Has anyone who moved past "application received by DOJ" not gone to "selected as finalist" in a branch where other people have been designated as finalists?

I'm still suspicious that everyone who moves past "application received" just moves to all the subsequent online update stages, regardless of whether they end up w/ an offer or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who moved past "application received by DOJ" not gone to "selected as finalist" in a branch where other people have been designated as finalists?

I'm still suspicious that everyone who moves past "application received" just moves to all the subsequent online update stages, regardless of whether they end up w/ an offer or not.
At least one person on pg 14 or 15 said they progressed past app received and got a rejection letter when they went out recently.

I definitely think it's possible (and depressing) that most people are just being ushered along through the stages, but hopefully it just seems like that because people who have been rejected are unlikely to discuss it further, come back to the forum to say they were rejected after being selected for further consideration, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Anyone move past "selected for further consideration" for immigration?

And to the previous poster- I've been at "selected for further consideration" for the past few weeks and haven't moved to "finalist"... really starting to lose hope now :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone move past "selected for further consideration" for immigration?

And to the previous poster- I've been at "selected for further consideration" for the past few weeks and haven't moved to "finalist"... really starting to lose hope now :(
Yes, I just moved to finalist a few hours ago (so check yours again), for immigration. If this poster hasn't moved, then I guess this is a confirmation that not everyone is moving to all steps (at least at the same time).

Hold out hope, though, since I moved to "Selected for further consideration" after other immigration people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 pm

We'll know by Nov 17. Everybody just relax.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:31 pm

You're right. We're just being paranoid, because we're law students and that's what we do when we have to wait for something. Still, I'm going to be a wreck before then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who moved past "application received by DOJ" not gone to "selected as finalist" in a branch where other people have been designated as finalists?

Yeah, I got "further consideration" but haven't gotten "finalist" in Civil. Shrug. I'm just going to trust the DOJ person's post and not worry about it right now. Fact is, with Civil, there are multiple different components and they probably decide on their own people at their own pace.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I got "further consideration" but haven't gotten "finalist" in Civil. Shrug. I'm just going to trust the DOJ person's post and not worry about it right now. Fact is, with Civil, there are multiple different components and they probably decide on their own people at their own pace.
Despite the post on the Avue website, I spoke directly to the Civil Division ARC (Attorney Recruitment Coordinator) for SLIP via telephone two weeks ago. She told me that:

(1) Every branch within Civil Division was done choosing their finalists.
(2) If an individual were selected as a finalist for Civil Division, that would be indicated online under "Application Status" on the Avue website. (This seems to be confirmed by other posters' reports in this thread that their online application status changed from "Selected for further consideration" to reflect their finalist status.)
(3) First round of rejections would go out November 1st.

(I'm the same poster who's posted a few times above; I'm at "Selected for Further Consideration," but never received a rejection during this latest wave of rejections. FWIW, I suppose this situation could mean that we're still under consideration in any other components that we applied to besides Civil and thus why we weren't rejected by DOJ as a whole, but didn't move on to finalist status for Civil on Avue - i.e., for me, that could theoretically mean that I'm still under consideration at SG and OLC and was rejected from Civil (which would explain why I didn't receive a rejection from DOJ as a whole), but I seriously doubt the plausibility of that explanation for my own circumstances, anyway.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I got "further consideration" but haven't gotten "finalist" in Civil. Shrug. I'm just going to trust the DOJ person's post and not worry about it right now. Fact is, with Civil, there are multiple different components and they probably decide on their own people at their own pace.
Despite the post on the Avue website, I spoke directly to the Civil Division ARC (Attorney Recruitment Coordinator) for SLIP via telephone two weeks ago. She told me that:

(2) If an individual were selected as a finalist for Civil Division, that would be indicated online under "Application Status" on the Avue website.

(I'm the same poster who's posted a few times above; I'm at "Selected for Further Consideration," but never received a rejection during this latest wave of rejections. FWIW, I suppose this situation could mean that we're still under consideration in any other components that we applied to besides Civil and thus why we weren't rejected by DOJ as a whole, but didn't move on to finalist status for Civil on Avue - i.e., for me, that could theoretically mean that I'm still under consideration at SG and OLC and was rejected from Civil (which would explain why I didn't receive a rejection from DOJ as a whole), but I seriously doubt the plausibility of that explanation.)
Thanks for the clarification re: conflicting information from the avue site and the status changes.

I know you aren't counting on your theory about multiple divisions being true, but did you receive more than one email from avue in late September about being selected for further consideration? The email I got for Civil said you would receive a separate one for each division that is considering you. I even have a friend who knew she was explicitly being considered for two, so she must have gotten two emails.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(2) If an individual were selected as a finalist for Civil Division, that would be indicated online under "Application Status" on the Avue website.

(I'm the same poster who's posted a few times above; I'm at "Selected for Further Consideration," but never received a rejection during this latest wave of rejections. FWIW, I suppose this situation could mean that we're still under consideration in any other components that we applied to besides Civil and thus why we weren't rejected by DOJ as a whole, but didn't move on to finalist status for Civil on Avue - i.e., for me, that could theoretically mean that I'm still under consideration at SG and OLC and was rejected from Civil (which would explain why I didn't receive a rejection from DOJ as a whole), but I seriously doubt the plausibility of that explanation.)
Thanks for the clarification re: conflicting information from the avue site and the status changes.

I know you aren't counting on your theory about multiple divisions being true, but did you receive more than one email from avue in late September about being selected for further consideration? The email I got for Civil said you would receive a separate one for each division that is considering you. I even have a friend who knew she was explicitly being considered for two, so she must have gotten two emails.
Nope. Just the one email. I didn't state it before, but given the separate emails for each component, my theory (which, as you correctly note, I find very implausible) would require the SG's Office and OLC to have not moved on SLIP apps yet, such that my app is still under review there. I highly doubt it and have no evidence to suggest that theory is true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:19 pm

^Oh, I see. I just wanted to make sure you knew the thing about separate emails. Clearly you did. Good luck with your DOJ app and with whatever else you have going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

(2) If an individual were selected as a finalist for Civil Division, that would be indicated online under "Application Status" on the Avue website. (This seems to be confirmed by other posters' reports in this thread that their online application status changed from "Selected for further consideration" to reflect their finalist status.)

(I'm the same poster who's posted a few times above; I'm at "Selected for Further Consideration," but never received a rejection during this latest wave of rejections. FWIW, I suppose this situation could mean that we're still under consideration in any other components that we applied to besides Civil and thus why we weren't rejected by DOJ as a whole, but didn't move on to finalist status for Civil on Avue - i.e., for me, that could theoretically mean that I'm still under consideration at SG and OLC and was rejected from Civil (which would explain why I didn't receive a rejection from DOJ as a whole), but I seriously doubt the plausibility of that explanation for my own circumstances, anyway.)
(warning: this is me being neurotic) So, given what this poster said, do we think "Selected as finalist" means someone who will get either an offer or be deemed an alternate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(warning: this is me being neurotic) So, given what this poster said, do we think "Selected as finalist" means someone who will get either an offer or be deemed an alternate?
does this mean that if we haven't been "selected as a finalist" we're out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

does this mean that if we haven't been "selected as a finalist" we're out?
I think it is safe to say none of us, including the person posting on the avue site, can answer this correctly. Also, if your dep hasnt selected finalists yet, then definitely not. What dep are you competing for?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:42 pm

I think it is safe to say none of us, including the person posting on the avue site, can answer this correctly. Also, if your dep hasnt selected finalists yet, then definitely not. What dep are you competing for?[/quote]

Immigration (I also posted above). It looks like other people have been selected as finalists... some had their status change today... mine still says "selected for further consideration"

This is such a nerve-wrecking process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it is safe to say none of us, including the person posting on the avue site, can answer this correctly. Also, if your dep hasnt selected finalists yet, then definitely not. What dep are you competing for?
Immigration (I also posted above). It looks like other people have been selected as finalists... some had their status change today... mine still says "selected for further consideration"

This is such a nerve-wrecking process.[/quote]

I've been through a long, grueling firm and public interest application/interview process. Trust me, I understand. I will be the most proud of myself if I can just make it through without being institutionalized.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think it is safe to say none of us, including the person posting on the avue site, can answer this correctly. Also, if your dep hasnt selected finalists yet, then definitely not. What dep are you competing for?

This is such a nerve-wrecking process.
I've been through a long, grueling firm and public interest application/interview process. Trust me, I understand. I will be the most proud of myself if I can just make it through without being institutionalized.[/quote]

well good luck to you! I hope we both make it through this without becoming too traumatized.

ender04

New

Post by ender04 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If that’s right, that’s super, super, super lame that they’d sit on it for 2 weeks. Maybe DOJ isn’t such a great place to work, anyway.

In other news, anyone else noticed that they engage in exploitive labor practices? See “Special AUSA” job postings at http://www.justice.gov/oarm/attvacancies.html (many are uncompensated jobs for a full year!).

I thought they passed a law to prevent private companies from doing that sort of thing.

Admittedly, those are AUSA offices, but still.
Last edited by ender04 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Same...I'm glad we have a good group of people on here to commiserate with

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm willing to call the DOJ to figure out what the most recent update means if we can A) Figure out what we need to ask and B) Figure out a way that I can ask without revealing my identity
1. use google voice phone number.
2. Just ask them what selected for finalist is. That is it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”