DOJ SLIP 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Does anyone know why some agencies dont conduct interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know why some agencies dont conduct interviews?
lazy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 pm

what is the background check like for the SLIP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know why some agencies dont conduct interviews?
lazy?
I wonder if it means those departments have more or less candidates under consideration

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lazy?
I wonder if it means those departments have more or less candidates under consideration
The problem is, we still don't know which departments actually fall into that category. We know that:

BOP, Antitrust, and Tax definitely conduct interviews.

Immigration maybe doesn't? (I can't remember on them)

And Civil/Civil Rights may or may not. Some people have reported interviews going on in those components in years past, and others have said they've heard of hires w/o them. But since we don't know for sure, it's hard to make an assessment of the reasons for why this might be the case.

I personally find it a bit odd that they wouldn't want to at least talk to someone to make sure they aren't completely crazy but.... who am I to say? It's not like I've ever hired someone for something before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Immigration does not interview SLIP candidates but does interview Honors candidates, which seems odd. The immigration office only asked for SLIP finalists to submit writing samples, an office pref sheet, and transcript. Therefore, they may have their minds pretty much made up already....or not

ya, who knows

Edit: Also, a friend of mine who got an antitrust spot last year said the interview was pretty much a formality and was convinced that they had their minds 90% made up when they interviewed her (kind of like OCI screeners, I guess)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Immigration does not interview SLIP candidates but does interview Honors candidates, which seems odd. The immigration office only asked for SLIP finalists to submit writing samples, an office pref sheet, and transcript. Therefore, they may have their minds pretty much made up already....or not

ya, who knows

Edit: Also, a friend of mine who got an antitrust spot last year said the interview was pretty much a formality and was convinced that they had their minds 90% made up when they interviewed her (kind of like OCI screeners, I guess)
I'm curious as to why your friend felt that way. Can you ask her to elaborate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Immigration does not interview SLIP candidates but does interview Honors candidates, which seems odd. The immigration office only asked for SLIP finalists to submit writing samples, an office pref sheet, and transcript. Therefore, they may have their minds pretty much made up already....or not

ya, who knows

I think it was the nature of the questions more than anything. They were most concerned with making sure she was really interested in the specific field rather than getting a feel for her skills/personality. She, along with others, have said the government tries to hire people from their paper records rather than how they feel about them in an interview (not sure why this is, though).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

ya, who knows

I think it was the nature of the questions more than anything. They were most concerned with making sure she was really interested in the specific field rather than getting a feel for her skills/personality. She, along with others, have said the government tries to hire people from their paper records rather than how they feel about them in an interview (not sure why this is, though).
That's... interesting, but still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, if they want to make sure you're interested in the field, doesn't that mean the interview is important? Or is it really the case that if you have the best paper stats you'll get hired even if you don't really demonstrate a huge interest in the area of work / government?

For example, let's say we have two candidates, and they're both going for antitrust:

Person 1 is top 20% at YHS. Maybe they're on law review too. They've taken antitrust, but in the interview don't articulate an interest in the field beyond enjoying the class. Their resume is also neutral as to firm vs. public interest.

Person 2 is top 1/3 at... I don't know... somewhere else in the T14? T25? They're on a secondary journal. In the interview, they demonstrate serious interest in antitrust and their resume suggests a commitment to public interest / government work.

Let's say both candidates are equally personable (so we're not dealing with, like, someone who blows an interview by being antisocial or completely unprepared)...

Who gets the job?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

ya, who knows

That's... interesting, but still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, if they want to make sure you're interested in the field, doesn't that mean the interview is important? Or is it really the case that if you have the best paper stats you'll get hired even if you don't really demonstrate a huge interest in the area of work / government?

For example, let's say we have two candidates, and they're both going for antitrust:

Person 1 is top 20% at YHS. Maybe they're on law review too. They've taken antitrust, but in the interview don't articulate an interest in the field beyond enjoying the class. Their resume is also neutral as to firm vs. public interest.

Person 2 is top 1/3 at... I don't know... somewhere else in the T14? T25? They're on a secondary journal. In the interview, they demonstrate serious interest in antitrust and their resume suggests a commitment to public interest / government work.

Let's say both candidates are equally personable (so we're not dealing with, like, someone who blows an interview by being antisocial or completely unprepared)...

Who gets the job?
I get what you're saying, but maybe she was implying that they asked about her interest just to make sure she really wanted the job and it wasn't just one of a million jobs she applied to and lucked out and got an interview. I have absolutely no idea, though, and the process is as confusing to me as everyone else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Who gets the job?
I get what you're saying, but maybe she was implying that they asked about her interest just to make sure she really wanted the job and it wasn't just one of a million jobs she applied to and lucked out and got an interview. I have absolutely no idea, though, and the process is as confusing to me as everyone else.
Oh I see. Yeah, I think that could be a possibility. The problem with viewing it like the scenario I said above is that we've seen examples earlier in this thread of people who clearly have good paper stats -- that one poster with a V5 offer in their back pocket comes to mind -- but who haven't heard a peep from the DOJ. At the same time, many of the people who have reported hearing from a component seem to be genuinely interested in the organization (at least on here). I don't recall reading any responses in this thread from people committed to firm life who just sort of lucked out with a DOJ call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Also, for what it's worth, I will say that in my own interview my summer jobs, grades, or other experience never came up. The first two questions of me were why antitrust and how do you feel about criminal law. Perhaps this conforms to your friend's experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Offer received and accepted at antitrust (non-DC). For the rest of you waiting, apparently today was the first day that the DOJ was allowed to make offers. The process has started, but speculation is that DC is moving slowly and most offers will occur during November.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm

From the DOJ website

Re: SLIP interview decisions
"Most of the SLIP notifications are out. However, an informal participant, the Office of Justice Programs (Office of Civil Rights), is still reviewing applications from candidates that originally designated the Civil Rights Division as an employment preference. We anticipate issuing regrets notices next week, but generally speaking, if you did not receive an email indicating that a component had selected you for consideration, you should shift your focus to other employment opportunities."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:50 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]Offer received and accepted at antitrust (non-DC). For the rest of you waiting, apparently today was the first day that the DOJ was allowed to make offers. The process has started, but speculation is that DC is moving slowly and most offers will occur during November.[/qu

Big Congrats!!! SLIP or Honors? (Also, could everyone make that clear when they post acceptances?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:13 pm

status just changed to selected as finalist. DOJ antitrust non dc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:20 pm

How were you notified? Congrats!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer received and accepted at antitrust (non-DC). For the rest of you waiting, apparently today was the first day that the DOJ was allowed to make offers. The process has started, but speculation is that DC is moving slowly and most offers will occur during November.
did your status change to finalist first?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm the poster who posted about an offer above. In answer to the questions:

1. It was for SLIP
2. I was notified by phone this morning
3. I hadn't checked until after I got the offer, but my status right now is selected as finalist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Awesome...

Here's hoping more good news keeps rolling into this thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:35 pm

I got an offer from DOJ antitrust- DC SLIP last week. Accepted yesterday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from DOJ antitrust- DC SLIP last week. Accepted yesterday.
Well, I guess that would prove incorrect the statement that yesterday (Tuesday) was the first day DoJ could put offers out there...unless the DoJ contacts that the earlier poster spoke with were only speaking on behalf of a particular division.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an offer from DOJ antitrust- DC SLIP last week. Accepted yesterday.
did your status change to finalist first?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Well, I guess that would prove incorrect the statement that yesterday (Tuesday) was the first day DoJ could put offers out there...unless the DoJ contacts that the earlier poster spoke with were only speaking on behalf of a particular division.
It might have been restricted to division or field office. Not sure. But that's what they told me when they gave me my offer, so it's coming from at least a decently reliable source.

Maybe the DC antitrust office just decided to break the rules. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Has anyone who applied through SLIP heard back from Civil Rights yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”