Winston & Strawn New York

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Winston & Strawn New York

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Has anyone heard anything post callback?

Anonymous User

Re: Winston & Strawn New York

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah, I started this same topic earlier today. One person said yes, but didn't give the details about when their CB was or how long it took. I wouldn't worry about it. They seem to be one of the slower ones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I started this same topic earlier today. One person said yes, but didn't give the details about when their CB was or how long it took. I wouldn't worry about it. They seem to be one of the slower ones.

i know of an offer that went out within 72 hours of the CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I started this same topic earlier today. One person said yes, but didn't give the details about when their CB was or how long it took. I wouldn't worry about it. They seem to be one of the slower ones.

Thanks. That does actually ease my nerves a little.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How long ago was the cb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How long ago was the cb?

Don't want to out the person. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:56 pm

i know of an offer that went out within 72 hours of the CB.[/quote]

How long ago was the cb?[/quote]

Don't want to out the person. Sorry.[/quote]

They had about 4 other people when I was interviewing and that was just in the morning. Could you at least say whether it was last week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i know of an offer that went out within 72 hours of the CB.

How long ago was the cb?[/quote]

Don't want to out the person. Sorry.[/quote]

They had about 4 other people when I was interviewing and that was just in the morning. Could you at least say whether it was last week?[/quote]

I hate the universal hold list. They call back a ton of people, they can at least give the bottom of the barrel (probably me) their rejections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah I was baffled when I saw how many people they had on one morning. Any word on how big the class is going to be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:26 pm

I had a callback over a month ago and have not heard back from them despite calling them to ask them about a timeline and to let them know I have other offers. A close friend had a callback a week after mine and got an offer in a week9(ish).

They've done a ton of callbacks and are expecting to hire around 12. Their offer rates have not been good the last few years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a callback over a month ago and have not heard back from them despite calling them to ask them about a timeline and to let them know I have other offers. A close friend had a callback a week after mine and got an offer in a week9(ish).

They've done a ton of callbacks and are expecting to hire around 12. Their offer rates have not been good the last few years.

So their recruitment office is pretty non-responsive and they have a very low callback to offer ratio. It's ridiculous to do that many callbacks for 12 person class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 pm

I was there last week too and still no word. I was also a bit surprised by the number of people they were interviewing b/c I was under the impression that they weren't hiring a lot of summers. This article makes me wonder though:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202435160288

Apparently some time in 2009 they were saying they wanted to expand from 200 lawyers to 300 lawyers in the NY office. I'm not big on phony optimism, but maybe there will be a surprise?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was there last week too and still no word. I was also a bit surprised by the number of people they were interviewing b/c I was under the impression that they weren't hiring a lot of summers. This article makes me wonder though:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202435160288

Apparently some time in 2009 they were saying they wanted to expand from 200 lawyers to 300 lawyers in the NY office. I'm not big on phony optimism, but maybe there will be a surprise?

That would be nice but I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a callback over a month ago and have not heard back from them despite calling them to ask them about a timeline and to let them know I have other offers. A close friend had a callback a week after mine and got an offer in a week9(ish).

What did they say when you called?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I should have been more clear. No one has answered the phone (once my call was routed by the receptionist) either of the times I called. No one has ever called me back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They've done a ton of callbacks and are expecting to hire around 12. Their offer rates have not been good the last few years.

neither are their offer acceptance rates

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I should have been more clear. No one has answered the phone (once my call was routed by the receptionist) either of the times I called. No one has ever called me back.

Well seeing that they don't pick up the phone or return calls Im guessing we'll all have to wait in the dark.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath. If the NALP form is accurate they gave offers to 20 people in 09, and someone said they took 8 last year- 12 would seem to be a good number. They also interview at a ton of schools, though maybe not for NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am

Anyone know when the hiring committee meets?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:19 am

I had a CB at Winston NY, still waiting to hear back. Could someone tell me if this office has any name recognition in nyc? It seems like all the accolades are for the Chicago office. However, the NY office does attract many high profile clients so I cant imagine it has no reputation at all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know when the hiring committee meets?

They've already met and made offers. That's why we're all so confused. We've neither been offered nor rejected nor contacted to tell us we're on hold.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They've already met and made offers. That's why we're all so confused. We've neither been offered nor rejected nor contacted to tell us we're on hold.

Yeah I figured that I just meant what day of the week. Maybe they'll reject more people and offer more. Have they rejected anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah I figured that I just meant what day of the week. Maybe they'll reject more people and offer more. Have they rejected anyone?

Ah, I see. In that case, I believe they meet on Thursdays and/or Fridays if I correctly recall what the recruiting lady told me. I have not heard of any rejections so far and have heard of only one offer of the MANY friends I have who did callbacks there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Ah, I see. In that case, I believe they meet on Thursdays and/or Fridays if I correctly recall what the recruiting lady told me. I have not heard of any rejections so far and have heard of only one offer of the MANY friends I have who did callbacks there.[/quote]

Strange way to do hiring. I guess they have their reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think the question is how high the yield rate will be. They seem to be holding everyone they called back (so I guess it's not really a hold list anymore). The number of people in this thread who know at least one person with offers suggests they've offered enough people to fill up the class. They might also be waiting for likely 28 day deadlines to pass to see who is still interested.

Return to “Legal Employment”