Ropes (NY) v Jones Day (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Ropes (NY) v. Jones Day (NY)

Ropes (NY)
39%
Jones Day (NY)
61%

Total votes: 18

nyf

Ropes (NY) v Jones Day (NY)

Postby nyf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

I am trying to decide between these two firms (their NY offices). I am leaning towards corporate work and have a financial background. I would like to have the option to work with financial firms (banking law, etc), but am also interested in general corporate practice. I will probably want to move to DC in a few years (2-3 years into practice) for family reasons. I think Jones Day has a much better DC office. I am also slightly concerned with exit options (in-house or government). I also don't really want to be deferred for any significant period of time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

jhett

Re: Ropes (NY) v Jones Day (NY)

Postby jhett » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I've worked for both firms, but not in the NY offices.

Ropes is strong in private equity, but the Boston office is where more of the action happens because of Bain Capital. Jones Day does a lot of middle-market M&A. I know that Ropes wants to grow its NY office but at the same time the NY office was hit harder by the recession. Also, both the 2008 and 2009 summer associate class have been deferred. The JD NY office is stable and there have been no deferrals, but it's known as a sweatshop.

JD's DC office is much stronger than Ropes. It has a highly vaunted Appeals practice. But you have to realize that most DC legal work involves administrative, regulatory or appeals practices (not as much pure corporate/financial). Although JD's slogan is "One Firm Worldwide" it can be somewhat difficult to transfer between offices since hiring and staffing decisions are made independently in each office. Ropes is much more flexible with transfers. Exit options from both firms would be strong, but I imagine exiting in NY will probably land you in-house with financial firms while exiting in DC will land you in government.

Overall, I think Ropes is a much better workplace but based on the factors that are important to you Jones Day edges out Ropes. Congrats though... both firms are pretty good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I think that Ropes is viewed as a much more prestigious firm than Jones Day (despite the vault rankings).

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Why are you looking in New York if you know you really want to be in DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 pm

FYI, Ropes is not deferring 2010 summer associates. They can voluntarily take the NAP ($60K + public interest position) or start on time upon graduation. Just another bit of info for you.

nyf

Postby nyf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 pm

I am looking in NYC for summer (and short term) because this is where my SO is now and we are really trying to avoid long distance.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:02 am

when was your cb and when did you hear from Ropes?

nyf

Postby nyf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 am

call back was 9/16, offer was 9/22

Return to “Legal Employment”