Still go to callback after accepting offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:24 pm

I just got an offer today but I have a flight scheduled for tomorrow, is it still kosher for me to go to my callback even after accepting the offer? I just want the free trip back home...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Just don't tell them that...

bobsbowl
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby bobsbowl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:26 pm

No, it's not kosher. But will that stop you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I don't really see why you'd want to do something like that. You know you won't be accepting any offer they may give you, so you're only going to potentially be impeding upon the efforts of others who genuinely want to work at that firm.

"Just wanting a free trip home," seems like a frankly, incredibly selfish reason.

So no. Not Kosher. Don't be a douchebag.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby 270910 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Accpeted the offer? Not kosher. Cancel it, even the morning off.

Are almost certain to accept the offer in the future? Kosher. People's minds change, firms are giving you the sales pitch on the CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Will the firm know though? You can always split your summer so accepting an offer and then going to a callback is still fine right?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Of course it isnt "kosher," but he really wouldn't be stopping anyone else from eventually getting a position with the firm. Firms game plan for the fact that every offer they extend may not be accepted. They have a finite number of offers to hand out of course, but they won't reject a candidate they were seriously considering unless all those offers are off the table.

Essentially, this guy goes on the callback --> gets an offer ---> rejects said offer a few days later ---> firm extends offer to candidate #2 who could care less whether or not someone else had to reject the firm for him to even get an offer.

Net profit for all :!:
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an offer today but I have a flight scheduled for tomorrow, is it still kosher for me to go to my callback even after accepting the offer? I just want the free trip back home...


Why would you even start this thread? Bad thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Ask your career service office. You should have waited to accept, then went on the CB. The firm will still almost certainly pay for your flight if you are already out there and need to fly home.

If you mean you just want a free trip home, and you aren't already out there, cancel immediately. This is very very bad form, and could screw you and make your school look bad if you are discovered. Recruiters talk.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ask your career service office. You should have waited to accept, then went on the CB. The firm will still almost certainly pay for your flight if you are already out there and need to fly home.

If you mean you just want a free trip home, and you aren't already out there, cancel immediately. This is very very bad form, and could screw you and make your school look bad if you are discovered. Recruiters talk.


I didn't accept yet. I'm contemplating whether I should accept before or after my callback. I guess I'll wait until after my callback then.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Of course it isnt "kosher," but he really wouldn't be stopping anyone else from eventually getting a position with the firm. Firms game plan for the fact that every offer they extend may not be accepted. They have a finite number of offers to hand out of course, but they won't reject a candidate they were seriously considering unless all those offers are off the table.

Essentially, this guy goes on the callback --> gets an offer ---> rejects said offer a few days later ---> firm extends offer to candidate #2 who could care less whether or not someone else had to reject the firm for him to even get an offer.

Net profit for all :!:

Wrong, there are CB quotas for schools. Plus, you should withdraw post-CB if you accept/know you would accept an offer you already have. No need to waste resources for the interviews and the meetings after. How would a firm "profit" here?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ask your career service office. You should have waited to accept, then went on the CB. The firm will still almost certainly pay for your flight if you are already out there and need to fly home.

If you mean you just want a free trip home, and you aren't already out there, cancel immediately. This is very very bad form, and could screw you and make your school look bad if you are discovered. Recruiters talk.


I didn't accept yet. I'm contemplating whether I should accept before or after my callback. I guess I'll wait until after my callback then.


Waiting to accept doesn't really change the scenario. You would still be going on this trip knowing you are not going to accept an offer at the firm. The thing is, it is very unlikely that you will be "discovered." The question is, is your conscience strong enough to stop you from doing something that you know is wrong, despite the fact that you know you can get away with it?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Of course it isnt "kosher," but he really wouldn't be stopping anyone else from eventually getting a position with the firm. Firms game plan for the fact that every offer they extend may not be accepted. They have a finite number of offers to hand out of course, but they won't reject a candidate they were seriously considering unless all those offers are off the table.

Essentially, this guy goes on the callback --> gets an offer ---> rejects said offer a few days later ---> firm extends offer to candidate #2 who could care less whether or not someone else had to reject the firm for him to even get an offer.

Net profit for all :!:

Wrong, there are CB quotas for schools. Plus, you should withdraw post-CB if you accept/know you would accept an offer you already have. No need to waste resources for the interviews and the meetings after. How would a firm "profit" here?


Couldn't they just give an offer to someone else from the school that they called back? Does a callback quota mean they would have given an offer to any of the candidates called back from the school? Heck does a callback even mean that they are hiring at all? (I know for a fact that some firms go to OCI and go through the motions of calling a few people in for office interviews with the full knowledge that they aren't anticipating hiring anyone)

The firm profits regardless because they see the summer associate program as a net profit for them. The cost of waisting time and resources on people who may not eventually work there is built in.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Waiting to accept doesn't really change the scenario. You would still be going on this trip knowing you are not going to accept an offer at the firm. The thing is, it is very unlikely that you will be "discovered." The question is, is your conscience strong enough to stop you from doing something that you know is wrong, despite the fact that you know you can get away with it?

:roll: Glad to see the moral police are around to keep us from fucking up.

IMO what disco said as far as whether it's ok. That said, I wouldn't do it unless I was willing to consider the firm, regardless of whether I had another good offer or not.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:57 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Waiting to accept doesn't really change the scenario. You would still be going on this trip knowing you are not going to accept an offer at the firm. The thing is, it is very unlikely that you will be "discovered." The question is, is your conscience strong enough to stop you from doing something that you know is wrong, despite the fact that you know you can get away with it?

:roll: Glad to see the moral police are around to keep us from fucking up.

IMO what disco said as far as whether it's ok. That said, I wouldn't do it unless I was willing to consider the firm, regardless of whether I had another good offer or not.



I wasn't attempting to police morality. I'm just telling it like it is. His solution to the situation seemed to be not to accept the other offer before going on the callback. I simply pointed out that it is essentially the same thing as accepting before going. I've already suggested to him that it is unlikely that he'd be caught, and that there really isn't a net effect on others. Your own statement that "I wouldn't do it unless I was willing to consider the firm" indicates that you even see it as "wrong" to go on the trip with the knowledge that the firm has no chance. Thus the question for op is, as I stated earlier, do you do it anyway?

p.s. It always seems to me that in threads like this, people are attempting to stop others from being selfish for what is ironically a selfish reason. I mean, I think when most of us see something like this we think to ourselves "what if someone at my school did this and it affected my chances of getting a job?" "I would really hate for that to happen!" We then package that selfishness into what we see as being considerate of the effect of one person's actions on the people at that person's school. We try to remove ourselves from the situation and think about others, but aren't we really just thinking about ourselves?
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I wasn't attempting to police morality. I'm just telling it like it is. His solution to the situation seemed to be not to accept the other offer before going on the callback. I simply pointed out that it is essentially the same thing as accepting before going. I've already suggested to him that it is unlikely that he'd be caught, and that there really isn't a net effect on others. Your own statement that "I wouldn't do it unless I was willing to consider the firm" indicates that you even see it as "wrong" to go on the trip with the knowledge that the firm has no chance. Thus the question for op is, as I stated earlier, do you do it anyway?

The difference is that I stated it as my personal standard for how I treat people, whereas you made a normative claim that is logically indefensible and based purely in your own interpretation of ethical ideals. If you weren't meaning to make such a sweeping generalization, I apologize.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:08 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I wasn't attempting to police morality. I'm just telling it like it is. His solution to the situation seemed to be not to accept the other offer before going on the callback. I simply pointed out that it is essentially the same thing as accepting before going. I've already suggested to him that it is unlikely that he'd be caught, and that there really isn't a net effect on others. Your own statement that "I wouldn't do it unless I was willing to consider the firm" indicates that you even see it as "wrong" to go on the trip with the knowledge that the firm has no chance. Thus the question for op is, as I stated earlier, do you do it anyway?

The difference is that I stated it as my personal standard for how I treat people, whereas you made a normative claim that is logically indefensible and based purely in your own interpretation of ethical ideals. If you weren't meaning to make such a sweeping generalization, I apologize.


I don't think my position was logically indefensible, but I did not intend to make a sweeping generalization. My statement was based more on the tenor of the responses in this thread rather than on some general idea of what is "wrong" or "right."

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I wasn't attempting to police morality. I'm just telling it like it is. His solution to the situation seemed to be not to accept the other offer before going on the callback. I simply pointed out that it is essentially the same thing as accepting before going. I've already suggested to him that it is unlikely that he'd be caught, and that there really isn't a net effect on others. Your own statement that "I wouldn't do it unless I was willing to consider the firm" indicates that you even see it as "wrong" to go on the trip with the knowledge that the firm has no chance. Thus the question for op is, as I stated earlier, do you do it anyway?

The difference is that I stated it as my personal standard for how I treat people, whereas you made a normative claim that is logically indefensible and based purely in your own interpretation of ethical ideals. If you weren't meaning to make such a sweeping generalization, I apologize.


I don't think my position was logically indefensible, but I did not intend to make a sweeping generalization. My statement was based more on the tenor of the responses in this thread rather than on some general idea of what is "wrong" or "right."

Fair enough. Looking back at what you wrote, it's not as strong as I remember anyway.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:11 pm

disco_barred wrote:Accpeted the offer? Not kosher. Cancel it, even the morning off.

Are almost certain to accept the offer in the future? Kosher. People's minds change, firms are giving you the sales pitch on the CB.

TITCR.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Are they really going to "take back" the flight you've already booked? Won't it just split between the other firms you interviewed with?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Still go to callback after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 pm

OP here: I canceled.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.