Offer Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:28 am

For those of you who have gotten offers, what do you say when the firm calls you to extend an offer but you're still waiting to hear from other firms and can't commit yet?

Anonymous User

Re: Offer Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have gotten offers, what do you say when the firm calls you to extend an offer but you're still waiting to hear from other firms and can't commit yet?

Uh, firms don't usually ask you to commit over the phone. They offer, you say thank you, they mention the NALP deadline in a month - end of conversation.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:45 am

LOL I swear people act like they are reinventing the wheel with interviews and offers. You say: "thanks for the good news, I'll get back to you as soon as I can with a decision."

Geez :roll:

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 am

Aqualibrium wrote:LOL I swear people act like they are reinventing the wheel with interviews and offers. You say: "thanks for the good news, I'll get back to you as soon as I can with a decision."

Seriously, the threads on this topic have been ridiculous over the past week. I can't believe the amount of hand-holding the c/o 2012 seems to need.

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:22 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:LOL I swear people act like they are reinventing the wheel with interviews and offers. You say: "thanks for the good news, I'll get back to you as soon as I can with a decision."

Seriously, the threads on this topic have been ridiculous over the past week. I can't believe the amount of hand-holding the c/o 2012 seems to need.

I disagree with the second post. These offers can be the most important decisions of your professional life - no question or thought should be off limits or ridiculed. IMO it makes you look small.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:54 am

Students considering offers at this point have already gone through not only the law school application process, but the 1L recruiting process as well. The failure of the OP to develop even the most basic understanding of the commonly accepted professional protocol of the legal industry--which is essentially just old-fashioned common sense--is simply indefensible.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:Students considering offers at this point have already gone through not only the law school application process, but the 1L recruiting process as well. The failure of the OP to develop even the most basic understanding of the commonly accepted professional protocol of the legal industry--which is essentially just old-fashioned common sense--is simply indefensible.

Use my coping techniques. Sarcasm and ridicule.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 am

littlebit wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:

I disagree with the second post. These offers can be the most important decisions of your professional life - no question or thought should be off limits or ridiculed. IMO it makes you look small.

No question is off limits in your head. There are quite a few questions that you shouldn't need to ask out loud in your mid to late 20s having done a modicum of research.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am

I disagree with the second post. These offers can be the most important decisions of your professional life - no question or thought should be off limits or ridiculed. IMO it makes you look small.[/quote]

+1

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm sorry, but if your life experience hasn't taught you to say "thanks, I'll get back to you," something is just wrong.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 pm

There is not really much to disagree with regarding the second post. The amount of hand holding is hard to believe. These are people who are going to work in an intense, high-pressure work environment next summer. The firms have their work cut out for them getting some of y'all ready for the working world.

Return to “Legal Employment”