Prob Struck Out on Fed Clerkships --> Alaska Supreme Court? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prob Struck Out on Fed Clerkships --> Alaska Supreme Court?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Question says it all. I don't really think this is a good career move, but I also need a job. Does anyone (not 0Ls or 1Ls please) have any input on this?

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Re: Prob Struck Out on Fed Clerkships --> Alaska Supreme Court?

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 pm

The Alaska Supreme Court is probably one of the more difficult state courts to snag. If you aren't competitive for a federal clerkship, you probably won't get a look.

I'm not sure why you don't think clerking for the Alaska Supreme Court would be a good career move. The conventional wisdom is that this is a very desirable clerkship: given the relative recency of the development of the state's legal system, matters of first impression are quite common in the court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:05 pm

The Alaska Supreme Court is probably one of the more difficult state courts to snag. If you aren't competitive for a federal clerkship, you probably won't get a look.

I'm not sure why you don't think clerking for the Alaska Supreme Court would be a good career move. The conventional wisdom is that this is a very desirable clerkship: given the relative recency of the development of the state's legal system, matters of first impression are quite common in the court.
I am competitive for a federal clerkship, and had interviews, but I don't think I snagged one. I'm not sure why you are saying that this is a good career move - it's in Alaska, and I have trouble understanding what kinds of contacts I'm going to make while I'm up there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:06 pm

do you have an offer already from alaska sc?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am competitive for a federal clerkship, and had interviews, but I don't think I snagged one. I'm not sure why you are saying that this is a good career move - it's in Alaska, and I have trouble understanding what kinds of contacts I'm going to make while I'm up there.
Don't go. Alaskans would think you're a douchebag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:18 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't go. Alaskans would think you're a douchebag.
Agreed! Why would this guy even post the question if he was going to respond in such a snarky way to comments. He has obviously already decided it is a bad career move. WTF

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 pm

The general impression I had is that you should clerk for a court in a state you actually want to work, because while it's useful to clerk for a judge anywhere to get a perspective from them, you don't really gain any knowledge of the law that's useful to where you're trying to go. If you want to work in, say, Alabama, it'd be better to go clerk for a judge in Alabama, even if the Alaska Supreme Court is "more prestigious overall".

It's a lot like the below-T30 school choice argument: At that level, locality matters a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 pm

tangentially related: if you have a biglaw offer after 2L summer but want to clerk anyway, does it matter where? Also a bad career move (vs. starting right away)?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:tangentially related: if you have a biglaw offer after 2L summer but want to clerk anyway, does it matter where? Also a bad career move (vs. starting right away)?
There's a real advantage to clerking in the district/circuit you'll be working since you learn the unique quirks of that particular court, but really, any federal clerkship experience will be valuable to you. Most biglaw firms not only encourage people to clerk at the federal level but pay bonuses to people when they start if they've clerked. Talk to the recruiter at the firm about their policies on clerking and hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:36 am

FWIW, I don't think that judges are done calling. I have heard of people still receiving calls this week, and from good districts to boot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”