Kirkland (Chi) or Skadden (NY) for lit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

??

Skadden
42%
Kirkland
58%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

Kirkland (Chi) or Skadden (NY) for lit?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:25 pm

I loved my visits to both and am indifferent between Chi and NY as a places to live.

I'm interested in litigation and perhaps products liability. I'd also like to spend 3-5 years at the firm before moving on (after 1 year of clerking)

Are exits ops from lit different at these firms?

Does one have a more brutal up or out policy than the other? NALP indicates that Skadden lit is far more leveraged than Kirkland's (93/329 v. 92/105). Kirkland really has nearly a 1:1 partner to assoc ratio in its lit dept?

Thanks for any insight!

Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland (Chi) or Skadden (NY) for lit?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Kirkland really has nearly a 1:1 partner to assoc ratio in its lit dept?

Depends on whether the the NALP number includes non-equity partners.

I'd take Kirkland. One of the best litigation departments in the nation, excellent training, and you really can get early responsibility.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I loved my visits to both and am indifferent between Chi and NY as a places to live.

I'm interested in litigation and perhaps products liability. I'd also like to spend 3-5 years at the firm before moving on (after 1 year of clerking)

Does one have a more brutal up or out policy than the other? NALP indicates that Skadden lit is far more leveraged than Kirkland's (93/329 v. 92/105). Kirkland really has nearly a 1:1 partner to assoc ratio in its lit dept?

Thanks for any insight!

Skadden NY for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I loved my visits to both and am indifferent between Chi and NY as a places to live.

Thanks for any insight!

Skadden NY for sure.

Lol. Any reason other than vault rankings?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Kirkland really has nearly a 1:1 partner to assoc ratio in its lit dept?

Depends on whether the the NALP number includes non-equity partners.

I'd take Kirkland. One of the best litigation departments in the nation, excellent training, and you really can get early responsibility.

Yes. Plus Chicago is amazing, and your COL is lower there. K&E's building is really neat too.

Return to “Legal Employment”