Post-offer firm behavior?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
topsome

Post-offer firm behavior?

Postby topsome » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:34 pm

What's been everyone's experience with post-office firm behavior? Are they actively pursuing you, sending out congratulatory emails? Calling you up the wazoo or what?

Do you think how hard they pursue you is indicative of how much they want you to summer there? Or do you think most firms pursue offerees with equal enthusiasm?
Last edited by topsome on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Re: Post-offer firm behavior?

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:38 pm

topsome wrote:What's been everyone's experience with post-office firm behavior? Are they actively pursuing you, sending out congratulatory emails? Calling you up the wazoo or what?

I wonder if how hard they pursue you is akin to how much they want you or maybe it's pretty much what firms do post-offer.

LOL wut?

topsome

Postby topsome » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:44 pm

rayiner wrote:
topsome wrote:What's been everyone's experience with post-office firm behavior? Are they actively pursuing you, sending out congratulatory emails? Calling you up the wazoo or what?

I wonder if how hard they pursue you is akin to how much they want you or maybe it's pretty much what firms do post-offer.

LOL wut?

What's confusing about my post? I just wanted to know what everyone's experience has been with their firms post-offer. For example, I have an offer from one firm where I get almost daily calls or emails to convince me to go to their firm. I have an offer from another firm who extended an offer without any other followup.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:47 pm

topsome wrote:
rayiner wrote:

LOL wut?

What's confusing about my post? I just wanted to know what everyone's experience has been with their firms post-offer. For example, I have an offer from one firm where I get almost daily calls or emails to convince me to go to their firm. I have an offer from another firm who extended an offer without any other followup.

I think that your point is clear, but the last part of the last sentence is a bit confusing.

topsome

Postby topsome » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:50 pm

KMaine wrote:
topsome wrote:
rayiner wrote:

LOL wut?

I think that your point is clear, but the last part of the last sentence is a bit confusing.

Gotcha, I've made edits so maybe it's more clear now.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:50 pm

topsome wrote:
rayiner wrote:

LOL wut?

I mean your question is just stupid. One of your firms just happens to have a more well-organized recruiting department. You will be just a cog once you get into either firm.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:53 pm

what about personal calls by name partners?

topsome

Postby topsome » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:55 pm

You don't think it makes a difference between whether a firm is on the fence about you and whether the firm really wants you? I think it possibly makes a difference. Especially if it's a smaller firm. You're likely to run into the same people again and especially if they set you up with interviewers in the practice area you chose (granted you'll probably change your mind). It'd be really uncomfortable for me to know that my colleagues didn't want me working there.

jtl2008

Postby jtl2008 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm pretty sure ITE firms will not extend offers to those they are "on the fence" about. In any case, it might just have to do with concerns about yield and timing. congrats on the offers.

frost

Postby frost » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:10 pm

topsome wrote:You don't think it makes a difference between whether a firm is on the fence about you and whether the firm really wants you? I think it possibly makes a difference. Especially if it's a smaller firm. You're likely to run into the same people again and especially if they set you up with interviewers in the practice area you chose (granted you'll probably change your mind). It'd be really uncomfortable for me to know that my colleagues didn't want me working there.

If someone didn't want you working there, you wouldn't have an offer. Not to burst your bubble, but I really don't think it matters at this point. They can think you're the best candidate now, but if you don't meet that expectation over the summer, you can expect to be no-offered at the end. Conversely, they may not remember you when you show up for your first day of work, but you can change that by doing a good job on your assignments. Then let them persuade you over the summer to choose their practice group.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 pm

topsome, i totally understand your question. i don't think all associates are created equal, so to speak. I understand the ppl who just think you're a cog and not unique, and to some extent, once you start working, I think they're correct, but with all due respect I think they also haven't been, or known anyone who has been, actively pursued by a firm.

I've been fortunate enough to have offers from a couple of firms that have really personalized their attempts to get me to join. One firm, a V5, had the executive partner of the entire firm, worldwide, call me and email me personally to talk to me about my decision. Maybe he lied when he told me that mine was the only recruiting call he's made all season, but I'm tempted to think he was being straight up since he's basically the 'CEO' so to speak of a huge firm and could give a shit about calling potential summer associates.

I also had another firm, large V50, that called career services just to tell them how interested they were in me and that they hoped I'd accept. They also had a partner in a specific practice area I'm interested in call and assure me a chance to work in that group (which only lets 1-2 summers out of >70 work with them each year), found an associate who'd chosen between the exact two firms I was thinking about and had him call me, and had more than 5 partners call me to tell them how excited they were at the prospect of having me join.

long story short, I think many places may just have well-oiled recruiting machines as someone mentioned before, but I also think that there are some candidates they want more than others and that they are quite clear about it when this is the case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:05 pm

I think it's a very decent question. It may very well clarify the differences between the firms. One seems far more well organized and invested in its candidates. Not necessarily the case but certainly very possible. The firm so regularly and systematically pursuing you also is likely more well organized, which is something I would consider at least. What are your own feelings about the firms?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I understand the ppl who just think you're a cog and not unique, and to some extent, once you start working, I think they're correct, but with all due respect I think they also haven't been, or known anyone who has been, actively pursued by a firm.

lol...

Anonymous User wrote:
I've been fortunate enough to have offers from a couple of firms that have really personalized their attempts to get me to join. One firm, a V5, had the executive partner of the entire firm, worldwide, call me and email me personally to talk to me about my decision. Maybe he lied when he told me that mine was the only recruiting call he's made all season, but I'm tempted to think he was being straight up since he's basically the 'CEO' so to speak of a huge firm and could give a shit about calling potential summer associates.

I also had another firm, large V50, that called career services just to tell them how interested they were in me and that they hoped I'd accept. They also had a partner in a specific practice area I'm interested in call and assure me a chance to work in that group (which only lets 1-2 summers out of >70 work with them each year), found an associate who'd chosen between the exact two firms I was thinking about and had him call me, and had more than 5 partners call me to tell them how excited they were at the prospect of having me join.

long story short, I think many places may just have well-oiled recruiting machines as someone mentioned before, but I also think that there are some candidates they want more than others and that they are quite clear about it when this is the case.

qfthings you should have more discretion than to post on the internet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:topsome, i totally understand your question. i don't think all associates are created equal, so to speak. I understand the ppl who just think you're a cog and not unique, and to some extent, once you start working, I think they're correct, but with all due respect I think they also haven't been, or known anyone who has been, actively pursued by a firm.

I've had a name partner call me about my decision, along with most of the other things on your list. I've appreciated how friendly and enthusiastic the people I've met are about the recruiting process, but I haven't let myself be deluded into thinking I'm special. Neither are you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:topsome, i totally understand your question. i don't think all associates are created equal, so to speak. I understand the ppl who just think you're a cog and not unique, and to some extent, once you start working, I think they're correct, but with all due respect I think they also haven't been, or known anyone who has been, actively pursued by a firm.

I've had a name partner call me about my decision, along with most of the other things on your list. I've appreciated how friendly and enthusiastic the people I've met are about the recruiting process, but I haven't let myself be deluded into thinking I'm special. Neither are you.

TCR

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topsome

Postby topsome » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:I really don't think you should use this as a factor in your decision. If the global hiring partner or whoever calls you, sure - they want you - that is nice, but don't let this sway you. Let me share a story.

One of my professors in law school is a former SCOTUS clerk. Back in his day, he was wined and dined like you wouldn't believe. Then, he went to work at a prestigious firm on the east coast, and from day 1 - he was treated like a non-entity. He was one of several superstars at his firm, but so were other people at that firm. Same people who showered him with attention basically ignored him once he was in.

He was treated like doo-doo, and so when headhunters called him, he took the first call and moved over to another firm. Well, guess what, the switch from being a coveted star to doo-doo-boy was just as rapid in the next firm. So he bit dirt, did his time, and went out to the DOJ, after which he became a law professor. He's kind of a grouchy dude, expects to be "the man" at one of the two law schools I'm associated with, but ends up - again - being in the company of accomplished peers, so I think he's still pretty unhappy at being treated like "one of many."

Time and time again - you hear less extreme versions of the above tale - where summer associates were wined/dined in the good old days, and the SAME partners who treated them like Gods basically ignored them in the hallways when the job started.

You're not less special or more special or whatever, that's the wrong way of thinking - you're just a working man, just like them. I would take all this with a grain of salt, and focus more on where you think you can have a happy career - independent of post-offer "behavior."

Sure, its nice to get people to be nice to you, who doesn't want that - but what if your ideal firm is where people are busy doing great work - and are at trial, so don't have the chance to make time for you, and the firm making all these calls is sitting around without work? Think about that as a possibility!

Good point. It makes me feel a lot better about the firm that isn't actively pursuing me. I was worried it was because they didn't want me as much. But if we're all going to be ignored and treated like poo, I'm just gonna pick the place that I will be treated less like poo.

Return to “Legal Employment”