Uh... should I have done something by now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Uh... should I have done something by now?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:01 am

As far as I know, we're supposed to wait until November to apply for anything. But it looks like I'm mistaken. Can anyone please help out a stupid 1L and point me at a FAQ that explains what I should be doing?

I don't even know WHERE to apply. Cripes.

kazu

Re: Uh... should I have done something by now?

Postby kazu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:07 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=107596

Vanwinkle is always credited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:As far as I know, we're supposed to wait until November to apply for anything. But it looks like I'm mistaken. Can anyone please help out a stupid 1L and point me at a FAQ that explains what I should be doing?

Depends what job you're after. If firm, go to NALP Directory and search for firms that employ 1Ls. Use your school's Symplicity account to search for other 1L job postings. Find govt jobs on different executive department websites, etc. Above all, wait until December 1st to APPLY, but do not wait until 12/1 to research jobs and job postings.

Although Vanwinkle is not credited nearly as often as the poster above would have you believe, take a look at his advice, you might find a gem or two (probably less than two) there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As far as I know, we're supposed to wait until November to apply for anything. But it looks like I'm mistaken. Can anyone please help out a stupid 1L and point me at a FAQ that explains what I should be doing?

Depends what job you're after. If firm, go to NALP Directory and search for firms that employ 1Ls. Use your school's Symplicity account to search for other 1L job postings. Find govt jobs on different executive department websites, etc. Above all, wait until December 1st to APPLY, but do not wait until 12/1 to research jobs and job postings.

Although Vanwinkle is not credited nearly as often as the poster above would have you believe, take a look at his advice, you might find a gem or two (probably less than two) there.

Are you sure? I know for a fact that some friends-of-friends are 1Ls and wrapping up their early interviews, whatever that means. I'm an idiot, I really should've researched this over the summer.

And thanks for that thread, it's exactly what I was looking for! Are there any more like it?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:33 am

Mellow out. Worry about your grades, switch into job hunt mode around November.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:And thanks for that thread, it's exactly what I was looking for! Are there any more like it?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, some other posters might know of others. I'm not in law school yet, so vanwinkle's advice might not be as credited, I just found his thread really useful from my viewpoint. YMMV.

I get so nervous when I post in this forum, I feel like a mod is going to smack me for being a bad 0L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 am

Some judicial internships and other internships start the hiring process around now, though most firms do not. I'd talk to your career services. Depends on your school, location of your school and your interests.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know for a fact that some friends-of-friends are 1Ls and wrapping up their early interviews, whatever that means. I'm an idiot . . . .

I can't think of a single organization that would consider interviewing first-year law students less than a month into the fall semester.

Postby 270910 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:52 am

Chill. Dec 1 is the go time for applying. This firm is exploding with 2Ls dealing with the job hunt, not 1Ls.

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know for a fact that some friends-of-friends are 1Ls and wrapping up their early interviews, whatever that means. I'm an idiot . . . .

I can't think of a single organization that would consider interviewing first-year law students less than a month into the fall semester.

+1. Somebody just got confused about the difference between 1Ls and 2Ls. Not hard to do, since all of the 2Ls started interviewing before they came 2Ls at a lot of schools.

goody687

Postby goody687 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm

My approach was to not think about anything until I finished first semester exams. Let your friends freak over their summer job and lose time they could be studying. After coming through the 2L job search, I can tell you that I'm not sure your IL summer job makes a ton of difference. During your interviews next year you want is to be able to show that you worked with interesting legal issues and can speak about them intelligently. You can do this working for a judge, professor, office, or anything.

Return to “Legal Employment”