NYC Statistics

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Statistics

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm

So I got bored and crunched the numbers for some NYC firms with big classes. The criteria for inclusion were:

Summer classes bigger than 100 at least 2 years from [2002, 2010].
NYC office size of > 500.

This basically gives you the V10 - Wachtell + Debevoise.

--ImageRemoved--

The numbers are the size of each summer class relative to that firm's summer class in 2002.

Firms that ballooned the least in '07/'08 definitely had to cut the least in '09/'10.

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Statistics

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm

What does the "ratio" column measure?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does the "ratio" column measure?

The ratio between the firm's largest class size during that period and its smallest.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm

This sure seems like a waste of perfectly good math. What is the inference I'm supposed to take from it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Renzo wrote:This sure seems like a waste of perfectly good math. What is the inference I'm supposed to take from it?

Not really trying to draw inferences necessarily. It's just interesting to see how firms' class sizes have fluctuated over the last decade, to see the effects of the crashes in '03 and '10, to see which firms expanded the most during the recent boom, etc.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:10 am

Actually I think this is great -- it provides insight into firm volatility and susceptibility to market trends. It is helpful for those with preferences about stability vs. explosive growth. Firms with low numbers in the "ratio" column appear to have been more stable throughout, without bulging class sizes and then dramatic reductions. These low-ratio firms would appear to me to be a slightly "safer" bet, if only because they will not have the culture problems associated with deferrals, tiny 2010 summer classes, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 am

verdandi wrote:Actually I think this is great -- it provides insight into firm volatility and susceptibility to market trends. It is helpful for those with preferences about stability vs. explosive growth. Firms with low numbers in the "ratio" column appear to have been more stable throughout, without bulging class sizes and then dramatic reductions. These low-ratio firms would appear to me to be a slightly "safer" bet, if only because they will not have the culture problems associated with deferrals, tiny 2010 summer classes, etc.

I think it gives some insight into how conservatively a firm is managed. Firms with low ratios on that list: DPW, Cleary, Debevoise are often accused of being market followers generally.

Return to “Legal Employment”