Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What is the MINIMUM number of weeks you've heard for a summer split?

10 weeks
1
4%
8 weeks
4
15%
6 weeks
14
54%
4 weeks
7
27%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:And there's only so much damage leaving 2 weeks early can do.

You're gonna be the reason people on ATL next summer are going "Why did XYZ have a 98% offer rate for their summers when the other top firms all had 100% offer rates?"

User avatar
edcrane
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby edcrane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:15 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And there's only so much damage leaving 2 weeks early can do.

You're gonna be the reason people on ATL next summer are going "Why did XYZ have a 98% offer rate for their summers when the other top firms all had 100% offer rates?"


I think this is misguided. Firms that aren't looking to ding a bunch of summers for economic reasons are not going to ding someone solely for leaving a week or two early to go to another firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:45 am

Any thoughts on splitting for a government job instead of another firm? I'm planning on accepting an offer at a firm that claims to allow splits with a minimum of 8 weeks (depending on their start date I could swing 9 and still split), and am waiting to hear if I get an offer from a government job I interviewed with that's only 6 weeks. It's a DC-based firm that as a whole tends to value government experience, and the firm is fully aware that I'm interested in one of their regulatory practices (in fact, one of the associates I interviewed with suggested an internship in that particular government office would be a great thing for me to do, though I obviously didn't respond that I'd applied there for this summer as well). I'm also reasonably certain last year this firm 100% offered all of their summers, and they've stopped deferring. My concern is that they will not take my interest in private practice seriously (especially because of my prior government experience), and getting no-offered because of it does concern me a little, even though I maintain that the experience at the government agency would only help me coming back to the firm. I haven't gotten the government offer yet, and am trying to not count my chickens before they hatch, but also think it's a fast decision I'll have to make if given the government offer, so I want to at least think about it in advance a little bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:46 am

edcrane wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And there's only so much damage leaving 2 weeks early can do.

You're gonna be the reason people on ATL next summer are going "Why did XYZ have a 98% offer rate for their summers when the other top firms all had 100% offer rates?"


I think this is misguided. Firms that aren't looking to ding a bunch of summers for economic reasons are not going to ding someone solely for leaving a week or two early to go to another firm.


Thank you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 am

I understand the economy sucks and everything, but it seems so unfair to me that you're not allowed to split between different markets, especially for those of us who have a significant other to take into account- how are we supposed to make this huge decision about what city to be in 2 years in advance? It's crazy.

User avatar
edcrane
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby edcrane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I understand the economy sucks and everything, but it seems so unfair to me that you're not allowed to split between different markets, especially for those of us who have a significant other to take into account- how are we supposed to make this huge decision about what city to be in 2 years in advance? It's crazy.


I think most firms let you split across markets. The question is whether it is prudent to do so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 am

I don't think NYC firms care as much about splitting - you should get an offer if you do a good job. However, my experience with smaller markets (my personal experience is with the Southern markets - TX may or may not be included) is that they will question your commitment to that market if you do split, with lets say, a much bigger city market. So, I think you might have a harder time getting an offer from the 2nd firm, assuming that's the one in a smaller market.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby Renzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I understand the economy sucks and everything, but it seems so unfair to me that you're not allowed to split between different markets, especially for those of us who have a significant other to take into account- how are we supposed to make this huge decision about what city to be in 2 years in advance? It's crazy.


I've typed 50 response to this post, and deleted them all for being to profane and violent. So let me just say:

UNFAIR?!? That's your argument for wanting employers to cater to your every indecision?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Postby 270910 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:57 am

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I understand the economy sucks and everything, but it seems so unfair to me that you're not allowed to split between different markets, especially for those of us who have a significant other to take into account- how are we supposed to make this huge decision about what city to be in 2 years in advance? It's crazy.


I've typed 50 response to this post, and deleted them all for being to profane and violent. So let me just say:

UNFAIR?!? That's your argument for wanting employers to cater to your every indecision?


What Renzo said + thought but didn't say.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.