Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What is the MINIMUM number of weeks you've heard for a summer split?

10 weeks
4%
8 weeks
15%
6 weeks
54%
4 weeks
27%

Total votes: 26

Anonymous User

Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm

I would like to split my summer between NYC and my regional, hometown market.

My NYC firm requires minimum of 8 weeks. Don't know about the hometown one.

chadwick218

Silver

Re: Splitting the Summer: How Many Weeks?

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:32 pm

In Texas, most firms require 6. The only common exception occurs where you worked for one of the firms that you are trying to split with as a 1L. In this case, some firms are more flexible and will allow permit fewer weeks (on a case-by-case basis).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 pm

The conventional wisdom these days is that spitting your summer between two firms is the best way to get an offer from neither. Your experience may vary, but its something worth thinking about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would like to split my summer between NYC and my regional, hometown market.

bad idea.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Outside of TX, very few markets actually allow splitting (particularly NYC and small markets).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:45 pm

chadwick218 wrote:In Texas, most firms require 6. The only common exception occurs where you worked for one of the firms that you are trying to split with as a 1L. In this case, some firms are more flexible and will allow permit fewer weeks (on a case-by-case basis).
Thanks for you on-point advice, chadwick.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:In Texas, most firms require 6. The only common exception occurs where you worked for one of the firms that you are trying to split with as a 1L. In this case, some firms are more flexible and will allow permit fewer weeks (on a case-by-case basis).
I take it that this was an attempt at sarcasm. Alas, given that Texas is really the only market that allows split summers, I feel that it serves as a fair proxy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Does the notion that splitting hurts your chances of getting an offer apply to firms that have only 8 week (as opposed to 10) summer programs too?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I take it that this was an attempt at sarcasm. Alas, given that Texas is really the only market that allows split summers, I feel that it serves as a fair proxy.
No sarcasm. It was a jab at the other posters who comment that splitting will lead to two no-offers without bothering to help me answer the question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does the notion that splitting hurts your chances of getting an offer apply to firms that have only 8 week (as opposed to 10) summer programs too?
So long as you are able to honor the 8 week requirement, probably not. However, in a market where splits are not common the recruiting/management committee will nevertheless question your committment to the firm (especially when the firm is not in a position to give 100% offers).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does the notion that splitting hurts your chances of getting an offer apply to firms that have only 8 week (as opposed to 10) summer programs too?
So long as you are able to honor the 8 week requirement, probably not. However, in a market where splits are not common the recruiting/management committee will nevertheless question your committment to the firm (especially when the firm is not in a position to give 100% offers).
I was thinking of doing 6 out of the 8 weeks at each firm. Bad idea? I would like the money from the four additional weeks.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
I was thinking of doing 6 out of the 8 weeks at each firm. Bad idea? I would like the money from the four additional weeks.
Of course it's a bad idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Of course it's a bad idea.
OP here: yes, I agree this is a bad idea. I'm thinking of doing 10 and 6. Classes end in early May and start in September, so it's possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: yes, I agree this is a bad idea. I'm thinking of doing 10 and 6. Classes end in early May and start in September, so it's possible.
It seems to be a bad idea here. The NYC firm is unlikely to budge. With resecpt to the local firm, be careful not to push your summer past their preset summer dates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 pm

A firm like Cravath requires you work a minimum of the first 10 weeks when splitting. And it would not permit you to split with another NYC firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A firm like Cravath requires you work a minimum of the first 10 weeks when splitting. And it would not permit you to split with another NYC firm.
Yes, that's very nice of Cravath to be so flexible.

Now, NYC 10 weeks. Secondary market 6 weeks. I feel I can land an offer from NYC with 10 weeks of work. In a sec mkt, 6 weeks should do the trick, too. Not too worried about that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A firm like Cravath requires you work a minimum of the first 10 weeks when splitting. And it would not permit you to split with another NYC firm.

Now, NYC 10 weeks. Secondary market 6 weeks. I feel I can land an offer from NYC with 10 weeks of work. In a sec mkt, 6 weeks should do the trick, too. Not too worried about that.
It's not just how long you're there; it's also the fact that if a firm is forced to no-offer because of the economy (again), you'll be on the bottom of the offer list.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's not just how long you're there; it's also the fact that if a firm is forced to no-offer because of the economy (again), you'll be on the bottom of the offer list.
Exactly. It's a matter of appearing committed, not a matter of the firm having time to evaluate your work (no matter what they say).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not necessarily. If your work is good, you interact and get along well with people, and you demonstrate an enthusiasm for the firm and a commitment to working there after you graduate, I think you'd be able to get away with 2 fewer weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would like to split my summer between NYC and my regional, hometown market.

In my hometown market you can do as little as 2 weeks if you worked at the firm 1L summer. And, contrary to some posts above, Texas is not the only market that allows splitting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not necessarily. If your work is good, you interact and get along well with people, and you demonstrate an enthusiasm for the firm and a commitment to working there after you graduate, I think you'd be able to get away with 2 fewer weeks.
There's only so much commitment you can show when you proceed to leave and go work somewhere else.

That being said, if the firm is in the position to take all summers, you're fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Is it idiotic to ask an NYC firm to allow me to spend the second half of the summer there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it idiotic to ask an NYC firm to allow me to spend the second half of the summer there?
Assuming v100, they're going to say no...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There's only so much commitment you can show when you proceed to leave and go work somewhere else.

That being said, if the firm is in the position to take all summers, you're fine.
And there's only so much damage leaving 2 weeks early can do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 am

I did a very similar split this past summer (10 weeks and 6 weeks). I now have an offer from the big firm and am waiting to hear back from the small firm (I was warned that they usually make decisions in early oct!). It was a good move for me--I am really glad I was able to experience the feeling of working in a smaller firm. But I would only recommend splitting to someone who has a strong primary firm that had a near 100% offer rate in 2009. I would not pull this with a Weil or a Shearman.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”