I want Paul Weiss. Callback Wednesday -- thoughts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: I want Paul Weiss. Callback Wednesday -- thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Speaking with the 2nd and 3rd year lit associates at the firm, it still seems like you do get some decently substantive work - I feel like the mentality at the firm is that you get what you can handle, as early as possible.

This sounds right.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:52 am

This might be a moot point, but has the OP also considered Patterson Bellknap? Their QOL is very high, and everyone I have talked to has said that they provide some of the best substantive litigation experience for young lawyers out there while still paying New York market salaries.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 am

A friend who works at Cravath said first as a summer then as a 1st-year associate he was thrown into the fire almost right away. He explained that in the Cravath system, you're assigned to a team of a partner or two and 2 or 3 other associates for up to 18 months and given substantial responsibility with little doc review almost right way with plenty of depositions as soon as the partner feels you're mentally ready.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 am

OP here. I considered Patterson Belknap as well (going into callbacks I was looking for more of a QOL firm) but for various reasons decided that what lawyers mean by "quality of life" isn't what I mean by "quality of life," and didn't feel like it was the right firm for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:29 am

I love how these threads go from interview advice to "I know which law firm is going to provide more substantive work because I'm a 2L who has read Chambers and Vault reviews." At the end of the day, there are great litigators at all of these firms, and not all of them worked at small boutiques, or vica versa.

Good luck on your interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Bump. Anyone heard who interviewed this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"I hated the practice of law. Seriously, I thought about quitting every week. Then it dawned on me: I didn't hate the practice of law. I just hated working for Paul, Weiss!"

- a senior government lawyer to the entire summer intern class

FWIW, I got an offer despite focusing on corporate/transactional practice - they definitely grilled me on why I wanted to work at Paul, Weiss as opposed to SullCrom or whatever.

How did you respond to the grilling?

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:03 pm

This thread got fucking crazy, but it's probably a good thing, because it distracts from the point that you are an idiot for obviously outing yourself to any PW attorneys on the Internet.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 pm

johndhi wrote:This thread got fucking crazy, but it's probably a good thing, because it distracts from the point that you are an idiot for obviously outing yourself to any PW attorneys on the Internet is two years old.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:07 pm

LOL. When I saw a PW thread I wanted to check it out, then yes, 2 years old! BTW: All is well at PW. It’s the best! Great view too!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is it worth it if i want to go into lit?

If you're willing to go the distance, absolutely. If you're just a tourist, probably not.

Former paralegal from PW. Not sure if it's changed in the last two years, but when I was there, they made 6 new partners --- all lateral hires. Associates were pretty pissed. I don't think anyone can "go the distance" there.

Return to “Legal Employment”