Expect dings from mass mailing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Expect dings from mass mailing?

Postby 270910 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I sent out a bunch of mass maily* stuff, and (not surprisingly) haven't heard from the vast majority of firms I applied to. Is it standard protocol to just never hear back if they're not interested? That's what I would expect, but I'm curious what other people's experiences have been this recruiting season.

*Actually quite targeted applications, so think "not through OCI" more than "carbon copy mass mail blot out the sun campaign."

Anonymous User

Re: Expect dings from mass mailing?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:20 pm

I've gotten from a handful, but not most. Probably fairly typical to not get responses, but if you're still looking for a job, I know people in past years have followed up about a month later with anyone they still haven't heard a response from.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 pm

I mass mailed:

Cravath
DPW
STB
Cleary
Willkie
McDermott
Skadden
Shearman

Looking back I'm not sure why I chose some of those firms. I think I planned on doing a lot more but then got caught up in other things (i.e. got lazy). In any case from those:

Willkie
sent me an email ding

McDermott
Shearman
Cleary
Have never heard a peep from

Cravath
STB
Skadden
Invited me for screening interviews. Cravath and Skadden were quick, within a day or two. STB contacted me about three weeks after I mailed them.

Davis Polk:
Invited me straight for a callback. However, they contacted me almost a month and a half after I mailed them.

---

Hopefully this is helpful. Perhaps some firms keep you in an under consideration pile until recruiting officially ends and then email everyone who mailed them or something like that. The Willkie ding wasn't surprising since I caught a typo in my cover letter after I had sent it, so it was probably an easy decision. And you never know you might be surprised like I was by DPW. I had forgotten I had sent anything to them and had written off ever hearing. If you haven't heard anything, at least there is still a possibility.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 pm

I would think that some firms haven't had a chance to get to the gigantic pile of directly mailed resumes in the midst of OCI, callbacks, etc. I think some firms are just now getting around to the direct apps -- though they are getting to them.

I mass-mailed back in July -- got a stack of ding letters, via snail and e-mail. Got one straight callback last week to a DC V100 from a direct app. So there's hope. Again, pure speculation, but I think some firms are just waiting to see how their summer classes are shaping out, and whether you break the mold of the pool of applicants they have at the callback stage at the moment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 pm

I just start mass mailing today (yes, I know, too late). Anyway, got a rejection via email from one V100 firm within an hour. Something about already filling their spots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed:

Cravath
DPW
STB
Cleary
Willkie
McDermott
Skadden
Shearman

Looking back I'm not sure why I chose some of those firms. I think I planned on doing a lot more but then got caught up in other things (i.e. got lazy). In any case from those:

Willkie
sent me an email ding

McDermott
Shearman
Cleary

Cravath
STB
Skadden
Invited me for screening interviews. Cravath and Skadden were quick, within a day or two. STB contacted me about three weeks after I mailed them.

Davis Polk:
Invited me straight for a callback. However, they contacted me almost a month and a half after I mailed them.

---

Hopefully this is helpful. Perhaps some firms keep you in an under consideration pile until recruiting officially ends and then email everyone who mailed them or something like that. The Willkie ding wasn't surprising since I caught a typo in my cover letter after I had sent it, so it was probably an easy decision. And you never know you might be surprised like I was by DPW. I had forgotten I had sent anything to them and had written off ever hearing. If you haven't heard anything, at least there is still a possibility.

What is your stats (School, Rank rage)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Sounds like someone's just annoyed that Wachtell hasn't officially dinged them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:50 pm

I applied to Covington and Wilmerhale recently, promptly dinged (within 1 week) via mail and email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed:

Cravath
DPW
STB
Cleary
Willkie
McDermott
Skadden
Shearman

Willkie
sent me an email ding

McDermott
Shearman
Cleary

Cravath
STB
Skadden

Davis Polk:

---

What is your stats (School, Rank rage)?

--

T30, Top 5-10% (School only ranks to 10% but well above), LR, 5+ yrs WE

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:21 am

Anyone have success mass mailing firms that came to your school's OCI after OCI was finished?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:59 am

I mailed a few out, mainly to boutiques like susman and some got back to me in a week and others in 2 months. Dings will probably come later if at all.

Return to “Legal Employment”