NY offices - how long did it take you to hear back after cb?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY offices - how long did it take you to hear back after cb?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: NY offices - how long did it take you to hear back after cb?

Postby 270910 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Friends have gotten on the spot offers (S&C, CSM) and others have heard back weeks later. V10 firms seem to be moving in 1-10 days, but it's hard to generalize. Any number of things can come up to delay or expedite the process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:52 pm

What about v30-v50?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm

How about STB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:00 am

Mine were anywhere from 3 - 15 days. But, you can't generalize about a market. It's firm-specific.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:10 am

Exactly one week for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:38 am

It's been 3 days since the hiring committee met and over a week since my callback. Do firms usually call right after the meeting? I'm hoping they're doing some kind of background check.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:15 am

It's been over two weeks since my last callback (the one I want the most) and have not yet heard. I emailed them today to ask about the time line, and the recruiter told me that it will be "a few weeks." My conjecture that they've already made their first round of offers and now are waiting to see how many spots they can afford to fill. Judging from people on TLS who's gotten offers 4-5 weeks after their callbacks, I think my theory is more or less correct.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Mine were anywhere from 3 - 15 days. But, you can't generalize about a market. It's firm-specific.

Sure you can. It just wont be accurate across the board.

Generally, from my experience and observation, the New York firms tend to get back to you sooner. There is your generalization.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 am

2-7 days

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:How about STB?

Most of their offers go out 1-2 days after the callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's been 3 days since the hiring committee met and over a week since my callback. Do firms usually call right after the meeting? I'm hoping they're doing some kind of background check.

It depends on the firm. Not all firms make offers at the same time during the week.

At a firm where I got an offer, they didn't tell me when their committee meets, but I do know that they have given out on the spot offers before. I got an offer a week after the callback, after some others had gotten offers that same week.

At a firm where I got rejected post-callback, they sent me an email rejection exactly one week after my callback and 3 days after the committee meets.

I think the background check usually happens after you accept an offer.

I would check the status of your application 10+ days after your callback. Maybe you are on a "hold" list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's been 3 days since the hiring committee met and over a week since my callback. Do firms usually call right after the meeting? I'm hoping they're doing some kind of background check.

I had a callback with a V70 firm last week. The recruiting director told me that after the hiring committee meeting, they do reference checks on every person they intend to offer. Reference checks, she said, can take anywhere from an hour to a week, depending on how difficult it is to get a hold of the references. And the contact you once the reference check pans out. That's just one firm, don't know how many other firms operate in the same way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I had a callback with a V70 firm last week. The recruiting director told me that after the hiring committee meeting, they do reference checks on every person they intend to offer. Reference checks, she said, can take anywhere from an hour to a week, depending on how difficult it is to get a hold of the references. And the contact you once the reference check pans out. That's just one firm, don't know how many other firms operate in the same way.

They asked for a reference list?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. It sounds like the check is more perfunctory than anything else. They make decisions to hire before they check and probably only change their minds if there is a bad reference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. It sounds like the check is more perfunctory than anything else. They make decisions to hire before they check and probably only change their minds if there is a bad reference.

Weird, I haven't been asked for references yet...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I give off the impression that I'm a lying sleeze bag. Guess they don't trust me much. Its understandable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Cahill. On the spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Interviewed on a Monday --> offer on that Friday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cahill. On the spot.

How do on the spot offers work? Do you get it in your last interview? After you've completed your interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I give off the impression that I'm a lying sleeze bag. Guess they don't trust me much. Its understandable.

hahaha, just wondering if I was supposed to submit references...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hahaha, just wondering if I was supposed to submit references...

If it would have made a difference, they would have asked you for them.

Return to “Legal Employment”