Waiting for offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Waiting for offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Is it a good or bad idea to call up and check a week or two after a callback? Maybe it's good because it shows you are engaged and interested (maybe you even put a little pressure on them to respond by saying "I have other offers"). Or, maybe it's bad because they are going to respond when they are ready and you should just be patient.

Anonymous User

Re: Waiting for offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a good or bad idea to call up and check a week or two after a callback? Maybe it's good because it shows you are engaged and interested (maybe you even put a little pressure on them to respond by saying "I have other offers"). Or, maybe it's bad because they are going to respond when they are ready and you should just be patient.

I'd say give it at least two weeks before calling in and checking up - a polite email to the recruitment director you dealt with would probably be best, simply asking what the timeline for a definitive answer is looking like. Do not mention other offers or put pressure on them to give you an answer unless your 28 days for another offer are, in actuality, in danger of expiring. Only in that case would it be okay to mention.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it a good or bad idea to call up and check a week or two after a callback? Maybe it's good because it shows you are engaged and interested (maybe you even put a little pressure on them to respond by saying "I have other offers"). Or, maybe it's bad because they are going to respond when they are ready and you should just be patient.

I'd say give it at least two weeks before calling in and checking up - a polite email to the recruitment director you dealt with would probably be best, simply asking what the timeline for a definitive answer is looking like. Do not mention other offers or put pressure on them to give you an answer unless your 28 days for another offer are, in actuality, in danger of expiring. Only in that case would it be okay to mention.

It's also okay to mention it if they told you at your callback to keep them informed of any offers you've received.

Person

Postby Person » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's also okay to mention it if they told you at your callback to keep them informed of any offers you've received.

If I were any other TLS poster, I would write "Is it OK to do what small favors a firm politely asks you to perform? No. No it is not--any such action will just show weakness to the firm and they will lose respect for you." Instead, I will simply answer "Yes."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:45 pm

kinda been wondering what the etiquette was here too....its been two weeks....should i just wait? ( no otha offas)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At 1 firm they told me they would get back to me in a week, but it has been 2 weeks and I have not heard back yet. Should I call or should I just assume I am on the waiting list while they pursue their top choices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At 1 firm they told me they would get back to me in a week, but it has been 2 weeks and I have not heard back yet. Should I call or should I just assume I am on the waiting list while they pursue their top choices?

Personally, I'd follow up. Just don't do it in a douchey way and it should be fine

Return to “Legal Employment”