Jones Day--Atlanta

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jones Day--Atlanta

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Anyone do a CB there? How long until you heard anything?

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day--Atlanta

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm

I know that several offers have been made.

But also know that callback to offer times vary widely and depend on when in the cycle you are interviewing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Do you know if the offers were for kids at local schools or for kids at T14/outside of the region schools?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Local (GA) + at least one regional T14 (Vandy, Duke, UNC, UVA)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Not that Vandy and UNC are T14 - but offers have been made outside the scope of GA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks. Do you know what the turn around time was on the offers? I heard they usually take around 12 for SA positions? I'm from a non regional T14 and really liked the firm when I visited, but am pretty quickly going to start bumping into 28 days from some other offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Do you have ties? That is HUGE. I would imagine you wouldn't get the CB if you didn't, but never know.

Not entirely sure about the turnaround time on non-regionals but know it is generally later.

Last year was 11 SA's, year before was 8. Last year's SA class has several clerks and the one before has at least one that will be working for a year then clerking so they may bump up the class size. That is entirely speculation though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 pm

CB less than a week ago. T-14. No offer yet, patiently waiting.
I really love this place, and I am very nervous about it. Do you perhaps know how long it took for those offers since CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:05 pm

which firms in Atlanta are filled with t14 grads?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB less than a week ago. T-14. No offer yet, patiently waiting.

Were you there at the tail end of last week?
I was, and no word yet...I secretly hoped that I would get off the plane and have a voice mail waiting, but that was wishful thinking :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:17 pm

I would say ballpark 7-10 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:which firms in Atlanta are filled with t14 grads?

Jones Day, King and Spalding, Alston and Bird, and a couple others tend to hire a lot out of T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Had a callback there. I'm almost to the 2-week point and still haven't heard anything from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 pm

I think a lot of people (myself included) had callbacks there recently. Mine was a little less than two weeks ago. I specifically asked the recruiter what the timeline was because I have an outstanding offer, and she told me that the hiring committee would be meeting at the end of two weeks, meaning they should meet around Thursday or Friday of this week. That almost certainly goes for people who had callbacks before and after that date. So take a deep breath, and tough it out until the end of the week.

I agree with everyone here, I really liked the firm. It definitely seems like you don't get hired without some regional interest there, but that's just my observation from the people I talked to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info. I agree with the regional interest plus I got the impression they were looking for a fairly specific type of person to fit in there. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CB less than a week ago. T-14. No offer yet, patiently waiting.

Were you there at the tail end of last week?
I was, and no word yet...I secretly hoped that I would get off the plane and have a voice mail waiting, but that was wishful thinking :D

I was somewhat in the middle of the last week. I totally understand what you mean, especially when I am hearing from my colleagues boasting about their success (offer on the same day of CB or within couple day). I really wish you good luck!
I will keep you guys posted!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think a lot of people (myself included) had callbacks there recently. Mine was a little less than two weeks ago. I specifically asked the recruiter what the timeline was because I have an outstanding offer, and she told me that the hiring committee would be meeting at the end of two weeks, meaning they should meet around Thursday or Friday of this week. That almost certainly goes for people who had callbacks before and after that date. So take a deep breath, and tough it out until the end of the week.

I agree with everyone here, I really liked the firm. It definitely seems like you don't get hired without some regional interest there, but that's just my observation from the people I talked to.

Thanks for the useful info! (Gulp) I am scared now.

As to the regional interest, I had a little different impression. Please correct me if I am wrong. Certain departments (M&A) were little more particular about the regional interest, whereas most of the people that I interviewed with didn't really care. I was asked "why atlanta" question only twice. It seems like a lot of attorneys, at least my interviewers, comes from non-Atlanta region, without any personal tie though. Some of my interviews expressly told me: "we are different in a sense, because we hire from everywhere." But they seemed to want to make sure that I wasn't going to leave after one or two years. (I hope it helps!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think a lot of people (myself included) had callbacks there recently. Mine was a little less than two weeks ago. I specifically asked the recruiter what the timeline was because I have an outstanding offer, and she told me that the hiring committee would be meeting at the end of two weeks, meaning they should meet around Thursday or Friday of this week. That almost certainly goes for people who had callbacks before and after that date. So take a deep breath, and tough it out until the end of the week.

Thanks for the useful info! (Gulp) I am scared now.

As to the regional interest, I had a little different impression. Please correct me if I am wrong. Certain departments (M&A) were little more particular about the regional interest, whereas most of the people that I interviewed with didn't really care. I was asked "why atlanta" question only twice. It seems like a lot of attorneys, at least my interviewers, comes from non-Atlanta region, without any personal tie though. Some of my interviews expressly told me: "we are different in a sense, because we hire from everywhere." But they seemed to want to make sure that I wasn't going to leave after one or two years. (I hope it helps!)

Not everyone is going to grill you about being interested in Atlanta. Not that it matters anymore because the CB is over, but ties are imperative. Not that everyone has ties, but for the most part everyone at that firm has ties to Atlanta from UG in Atlanta, LS in GA, or growing up/family in GA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:35 pm

This is me. Just got home, rejection letter waiting in the mailbox. Good luck to the rest of you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is me. Just got home, rejection letter waiting in the mailbox. Good luck to the rest of you

Sorry to hear this. At least you have another offer to fall back on, so you're not out in the cold. Mind sharing when the letter is dated?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is me. Just got home, rejection letter waiting in the mailbox. Good luck to the rest of you

Sorry to hear this. At least you have another offer to fall back on, so you're not out in the cold. Mind sharing when the letter is dated?

September 21.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Anyone hear anything. Or talk to recruiting as to when they are making decisions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 pm

This is so crazy, just waiting and waiting endlessly. Please let us know if any of you receive any offer or rejection!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Anyone talked to recruiting? I had thought they were making decisions end of last week, but I heard of some rejections going out early in the week and then nothing else happened. Loved the place, but almost out of time with regard to other offers. Is it appropriate to get in touch with the recruiting manager or is that a big no-go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Hadn't heard anything yet. I called recruiting department, and no one was there to pick up the phone. If any of you heard anything, please keep us updated!

Return to “Legal Employment”