Ropes & Gray NY?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:39 pm

I think a firm with an annual 98+% SA offer rate that's decreased the size of it's summer program to account for the new economy can't be said to be in deep trouble. Also, this is a firm that operates (more than others) as a "single firm" so a slowdown in work would ostensibly affect all offices, even if not necessarily equally the impact will still be spread out. Bottom line: no one has offered a single reason to worry about this firm and I don't think anyone needs to think twice about accepting an offer there if they fail to get a V15 firm.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think a firm with an annual 98+% SA offer rate that's decreased the size of it's summer program to account for the new economy can't be said to be in deep trouble. Also, this is a firm that operates (more than others) as a "single firm" so a slowdown in work would ostensibly affect all offices, even if not necessarily equally the impact will still be spread out. Bottom line: no one has offered a single reason to worry about this firm and I don't think anyone needs to think twice about accepting an offer there if they fail to get a V15 firm.

There ya go bro. You know everything, so why do you keep asking us whether you should have accepted your offer or not?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think a firm with an annual 98+% SA offer rate that's decreased the size of it's summer program to account for the new economy can't be said to be in deep trouble. Also, this is a firm that operates (more than others) as a "single firm" so a slowdown in work would ostensibly affect all offices, even if not necessarily equally the impact will still be spread out. Bottom line: no one has offered a single reason to worry about this firm and I don't think anyone needs to think twice about accepting an offer there if they fail to get a V15 firm.

There ya go bro. You know everything, so why do you keep asking us whether you should have accepted your offer or not?

Thank you for assuming I'm the only poster on the board interested in what's going on at this firm. All I'm saying is that there isn't even a single articulable rumor about trouble at Ropes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Bottom line: no one has offered a single reason to worry about this firm and I don't think anyone needs to think twice about accepting an offer there if they fail to get a V15 firm.


If you're just looking at public information, I think the deferral is a black mark on firm stability.


I think a firm with an annual 98+% SA offer rate that's decreased the size of it's summer program to account for the new economy can't be said to be in deep trouble.


A 98% offer rate wouldn't mean much to me if a firm can defer, and if that rate is based on a smaller class size.

Also, this is a firm that operates (more than others) as a "single firm" so a slowdown in work would ostensibly affect all offices, even if not necessarily equally the impact will still be spread out.


There is no way this is true. The Ropes NY office was formed out of a merger with Fish & Neave, a former IP powerhouse. If IP work slows down in that office, that doesn't mean that other offices are affected.

Moreover, the PE presence in NY is nowhere near the PE presence in Boston. I've seen several PE deals this year that Ropes in on, the vast majority of which were sourced out of Boston.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Thank you for assuming I'm the only poster on the board interested in what's going on at this firm. All I'm saying is that there isn't even a single articulable rumor about trouble at Ropes.


There you go assuming again that because no evidence been given, no evidence exists.

I'm just saying what I've heard without ruining the career of the person who gave the information to me.

Again, if you want to dig for dirt, you're digging in the wrong place.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:02 pm

Is it possible the various sources reporting the same thing are all wrong, and 2L at CCN is correct? Yeah. Unlikely though.

But either way R&G NY will be fine since R&G is "one firm." The recruiting brochure said so.

Edit: besides, the deferrals issue + P/E drop off ITE are substantive points. I don't know if there's much validity to them, but if OP is looking for a starting point to research R&G's current economic status that's as good a one as any.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:17 pm

:| Internet rumors... how quaint.

For the record, the NY office is slow in some areas, but not in a crisis as some people are suggesting. PE has picked up recently, but IP lit is still slow. NY has other practices areas that are doing fine. Things were worse at the beginning of the year, but work has been ramping up recently.

The class of 2009 has been completely absorbed... some in January, and some just recently that finished the public interest deferral (called the New Alternatives Program, or NAP). The class of 2010 is either on NAP right now or will start in January. The size of this past summer class had been cut down a lot to ease the backlog. There are no plans to rescind offers. NAP will probably be run long term - all future incoming classes and current associates will have an opportunity to work at a public interest organization. I don't think the deferral is a "black mark" on the firm. Sure, we had more people than we could handle initially but they have sorted things out and are getting back on track.

pasteurizedmilk: please don't speculate anymore. you're not doing your credibility any favors.

- an R&G associate

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote::| Internet rumors... how quaint.

For the record, the NY office is slow in some areas, but not in a crisis as some people are suggesting. PE has picked up recently, but IP lit is still slow. NY has other practices areas that are doing fine. Things were worse at the beginning of the year, but work has been ramping up recently.

The class of 2009 has been completely absorbed... some in January, and some just recently that finished the public interest deferral (called the New Alternatives Program, or NAP). The class of 2010 is either on NAP right now or will start in January. The size of this past summer class had been cut down a lot to ease the backlog. There are no plans to rescind offers. NAP will probably be run long term - all future incoming classes and current associates will have an opportunity to work at a public interest organization. I don't think the deferral is a "black mark" on the firm. Sure, we had more people than we could handle initially but they have sorted things out and are getting back on track.

pasteurizedmilk: please don't speculate anymore. you're not doing your credibility any favors.

- an R&G associateThe Illuminati
Somewhere along the line, TLS became really conspicuous.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 pm

I never said R&G NY is in "crisis mode." Just that I've heard negative rumors.

And what you're saying is not necessarily not worrisome right now. I know many firms in NYC that are simply understaffed and clamoring for associates. Corporate for them is at full speed. What pasteurizedmilk said, therefore, doesn't seem to be inaccurate.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote::| Internet rumors... how quaint.

For the record, the NY office is slow in some areas, but not in a crisis as some people are suggesting. PE has picked up recently, but IP lit is still slow. NY has other practices areas that are doing fine. Things were worse at the beginning of the year, but work has been ramping up recently.

The class of 2009 has been completely absorbed... some in January, and some just recently that finished the public interest deferral (called the New Alternatives Program, or NAP). The class of 2010 is either on NAP right now or will start in January. The size of this past summer class had been cut down a lot to ease the backlog. There are no plans to rescind offers. NAP will probably be run long term - all future incoming classes and current associates will have an opportunity to work at a public interest organization. I don't think the deferral is a "black mark" on the firm. Sure, we had more people than we could handle initially but they have sorted things out and are getting back on track.

pasteurizedmilk: please don't speculate anymore. you're not doing your credibility any favors.

- an R&G associate


pasteurizedmilk: please don't speculate anymore. you're not doing your credibility any favors.

TBF, I was correct on both points. Deferrals were an issue and P/E has died off. Also, as others mention, while many peer firms are scrambling for more meat R&G continues to appear rather slow. Still a great firm though, and a fine option ITE.

Nice to see an associate posting - we dont' have enough actual practitioners on this forum. Hopefully you'll chime in elsewhere as well and provide some good input like you did in this thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273582
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhere along the line, TLS became really conspicuous.


Haha. Just so you know, I've been around TLS since its early days (before I even entered law school) but I'm an infrequent poster.

And thank you pasteurizedmilk. I was just calling you out since you seemed overly snarky, but it's nice to have devil's advocates around.

I know that some firms are understaffed and need more people, but whether or not those firms are good depend on why it is understaffed. A firm that readily lays off associates at the first sign of trouble (e.g. Latham) is worrisome, as compared to a firm that expands conservatively. Ropes did lay off a lot of support staff (which was rough, I won't lie), but it has made an effort to keep associates around even though there is less work for everyone.

I'm not a Ropes evangelist, but I figured I needed to bring an actual insider's thoughts to this thread.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Ropes & Gray NY?

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Somewhere along the line, TLS became really conspicuous.


Haha. Just so you know, I've been around TLS since its early days (before I even entered law school) but I'm an infrequent poster.

And thank you pasteurizedmilk. I was just calling you out since you seemed overly snarky, but it's nice to have devil's advocates around.

I know that some firms are understaffed and need more people, but whether or not those firms are good depend on why it is understaffed. A firm that readily lays off associates at the first sign of trouble (e.g. Latham) is worrisome, as compared to a firm that expands conservatively. Ropes did lay off a lot of support staff (which was rough, I won't lie), but it has made an effort to keep associates around even though there is less work for everyone.

I'm not a Ropes evangelist, but I figured I needed to bring an actual insider's thoughts to this thread.


I was just calling you out since you seemed overly snarky,
No argument there. :D




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.