Hope to see you soon

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beeswaxnotyoursinc

Hope to see you soon

Postby beeswaxnotyoursinc » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:22 pm

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I haven't done many callbacks... How much of an indicator of success is it if the partner I interviewed with (I interviewed with one partner, one junior partner, two associates) told me in the interview that he hopes to see me this summer, and responded to my thank you email saying he hopes to see me soon? Clearly, this could be him just being polite, but I wanted to see what others thought about this/if anyone has had experience with this.

Thanks!

ToTransferOrNot

Re: Hope to see you soon

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:22 pm

beeswaxnotyoursinc wrote:I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I haven't done many callbacks... How much of an indicator of success is it if the partner I interviewed with (I interviewed with one partner, one junior partner, two associates) told me in the interview that he hopes to see me this summer, and responded to my thank you email saying he hopes to see me soon? Clearly, this could be him just being polite, but I wanted to see what others thought about this/if anyone has had experience with this.

Thanks!

This is common courtesy and means nothing. Good luck.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:26 pm

You can't read into these things. It's possible he knows you'll be receiving good news soon. It's also possible that he is just being polite. Or perhaps he submitted a good evaluation of you but doesn't know how everyone else feels. Try not to think about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Means nothing.

goody687

Postby goody687 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm

I had this happen on a screening interview and got it. I'd say its a good sign, but dont read too much into it.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:52 pm

I wouldn't actually worry about checking your phone, email, or mailbox. For the vast, vast majority of law firms, a partner saying that is equivalent to an offer. Congrats!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Prior to going to attending to law school, I did a great deal of recruiting at major college campuses in my prior job. Even if I did not necessarily think that the candidate would get an offer, I was always in sell mode.

I would not view such puffery as providing any indication of whether you'll receive an offer.

War Cardinal

Postby War Cardinal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Congratulations, not only did they make you an offer . . . they just promoted you to partner!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:37 pm

MrKappus wrote:I wouldn't actually worry about checking your phone, email, or mailbox. For the vast, vast majority of law firms, a partner saying that is equivalent to an offer. Congrats!

lol for future readers of this thread, the above is sarcasm.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:09 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Prior to going to attending to law school, I did a great deal of recruiting at major college campuses in my prior job. Even if I did not necessarily think that the candidate would get an offer, I was always in sell mode.

I would not view such puffery as providing any indication of whether you'll receive an offer.

This. Even an interviewer that dislikes you will play it close to the chest in case you end up getting an offer. No need to be hostile when you can spout platitudes for 20 minutes then ding the guy.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:22 pm

War Cardinal wrote:Congratulations, not only did they make you an offer . . . they just promoted you to partner!

Return to “Legal Employment”