Help me choose a Chicago firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which one for Corporate Chicago?

Winston
14%
Sidley
57%
Latham
29%
Mayer
No votes

Total votes: 21

Anonymous User

Help me choose a Chicago firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Looking for help in choosing between these Chicago firms: Winston, Sidley, Latham, and Mayer. Leaning towards Corporate work, a little more concerned about post-summer employment and likelihood of deferral. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Re: Help me choose a Chicago firm

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Make a poll. Sidley or Latham, leaning towards Sidley. IMO, as far as post-summer employment in concerned, past history is a weak indicator of what the firms are likely to do in the future.

I think that there is something to be said about being in a firm's primary office.

Also, these four firms have very different personality profiles. Where did you seem to fit in best?
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for help in choosing between these Chicago firms: Winston, Sidley, Latham, and Mayer. Leaning towards Corporate work, a little more concerned about post-summer employment and likelihood of deferral. Thanks!

Sidley or Latham for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:07 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Make a poll. Sidley or Latham, leaning towards Sidley. IMO, as far as post-summer employment in concerned, past history is a weak indicator of what the firms are likely to do in the future.

Also, these four firms have very different personality profiles. Where did you seem to fit in best?

Poll added, thanks for the suggestion. I know personality matters and I can certainly tell which I liked best based on my contact with the firm but I like to think of it as somewhat of a tie-breaker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:19 pm

What was your CB to offer time with each of them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What was your CB to offer time with each of them?

Couple days for Sidley and Latham. Week or two for Mayer and Winston.

So it seems like Sidley and Latham are favored here. Anybody want to comment as to why people do not put Mayer in the mix? Mayer seemed to be pretty similar to Sidley in a lot of ways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Have heard very negative things about the management at the Latham Chicago office as compared to the other Latham offices.

Perhaps something to keep in mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

So it seems like Sidley and Latham are favored here. Anybody want to comment as to why people do not put Mayer in the mix? Mayer seemed to be pretty similar to Sidley in a lot of ways.

Am guessing it's because Mayer has a recent history of no-offering summers and doing lots of deferrals. Then again, many firms did that ITE, so hard to say if it should prejudice them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:04 pm

People are saying to discount Mayer because Mayer is much, much weaker than Sidley when it comes to Corporate work. Mayer is >>> Sidley for litigation, and I would change my vote accordingly if OP's interests weren't mainly in corporate.

Latham shouldn't be in the discussion. Latham's Chicago office is terrible.

Winston shouldn't be in the discussion - tbh, Jenner and Winston are generally considered to be a tier below Mayer and Sidley.

The normal hierarchy in Chicago is generally seen as Kirkland > Mayer (unless you want to do appellete lit and are competitive for a CoA clerkship)/Sidley > Winston/Jenner > rest

People will debate where Skadden's Chicago office fits in to the mix - some people put it on par with Kirkland, some people put it between Kirkland and Mayer/Sidley, some people put it with Mayer/Sidley. Most people would agree that Latham's Chicago office is below Winston/Jenner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:26 pm

OP here,

It sounds like Sidley is the obvious choice here. I am glad to hear it because I was leaning towards them and really liked the personality of the firm.

Has anybody heard anything negative about Sidley in terms of deferals or pushed-back start dates? Or anything else that should temper my excitement about them? Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here,

It sounds like Sidley is the obvious choice here. I am glad to hear it because I was leaning towards them and really liked the personality of the firm.

Has anybody heard anything negative about Sidley in terms of deferals or pushed-back start dates? Or anything else that should temper my excitement about them? Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

The big 5 in Chicago are done with deferrals at this point, unless there is a truly severe double-dip. Sidley dramatically cut its summer program last year (and is only growing it slightly this year) to avoid deferrals/layoffs in the future.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Interesting to hear this. I always thought Jenner was above Mayer for lit in Chicago. But then again, maybe that is just because I only really associate Jenner with litigation, while I associate Mayer with lots of stuff. Also, are you sure that Mayer kicks Sidley for litigation?

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting to hear this. I always thought Jenner was above Mayer for lit in Chicago. But then again, maybe that is just because I only really associate Jenner with litigation, while I associate Mayer with lots of stuff. Also, are you sure that Mayer kicks Sidley for litigation?

Mayer's app. lit. practice is generally acknowledged as one of the best in the country. There's no question on that - it's better than any other practice in Chicago (including Kirkland, imo) by leaps and bounds.

Regarding the general lit practice: my view, and the view of most people I talk to, is that the ap. lit "group" really bolsters the entire lit practice. The "ap lit" group doesn't solely work on ap cases (with the exception of a handful of people like Shapiro). A more appropriate way to look at it is the "fact lit" group and the "law lit" group. The ap folks do the majority of the briefs at all stages of trial. Their writers are second-to-none.

Jenner simply isn't on the same level as Mayer in general. Now, that may be changing - Mayer, for some reason, seems to be struggling a bit to get back on its feet.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread. Sidley is the obvious choice in the poll.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you interview with Sidley this past week by any chance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope. If you interviewed last week, I would suspect you would hear something this Tuesday or Wednesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope. If you interviewed last week, I would suspect you would hear something this Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thank a lot. I'm obviously really anxious.

As for your options - I'd do Sidley > Mayer > Latham > WInston for corporate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Why doesn't Jones Day ever feature in these discussions. This is not Jones Day trolling--I don't have an offer from them or anything--but they are a V20 firm that seems to get no love in Chicago. Is the Chicago office really just that weak?

I know V#s aren't everything, but is it really that obvious that you should take Mayer (V31) over Jones Day (V19)? Certainly being Chicago-based means something, but clearly not everything. Especially when Latham is only a couple ahead and always seems to be thrown in the mix.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why doesn't Jones Day ever feature in these discussions. This is not Jones Day trolling--I don't have an offer from them or anything--but they are a V20 firm that seems to get no love in Chicago. Is the Chicago office really just that weak?

I know V#s aren't everything, but is it really that obvious that you should take Mayer (V31) over Jones Day (V19)? Certainly being Chicago-based means something, but clearly not everything. Especially when Latham is only a couple ahead and always seems to be thrown in the mix.

Jones Day Chicago and Latham Chicago are about the same - below the Big 5. Skadden is the only non-Chicago-based firm that has an office in Chicago that has any place in these discussions.

That isn't to say that Jones Day Chicago is "bad." It just doesn't compare to the Big 5.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why doesn't Jones Day ever feature in these discussions. This is not Jones Day trolling--I don't have an offer from them or anything--but they are a V20 firm that seems to get no love in Chicago. Is the Chicago office really just that weak?

If Jones Day wanted to be featured in this discussion, it should have given me a dang offer :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If Jones Day wanted to be featured in this discussion, it should have given me a dang offer :)

lol, nice.

Return to “Legal Employment”