Schiff Hardin

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Schiff Hardin

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:04 am

I'm just curious what people think of Schiff Hardin. I am considering them for Chicago. They seem to have a better lifestyle, but I wonder if that is even a good thing in this market. Are they even that financially stable? Is it better just to go to one of the big law firms and forget about lifestyle?

Anonymous User

Re: Schiff Hardin

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just curious what people think of Schiff Hardin. I am considering them for Chicago. They seem to have a better lifestyle, but I wonder if that is even a good thing in this market. Are they even that financially stable? Is it better just to go to one of the big law firms and forget about lifestyle?

I wonder if the workload is that much better at schiff. They are trying to compete against the big firms and its a tough economy. Why would they give associates a lighter load?

Person

Postby Person » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:57 am

The feeling I get about Schiff is not that you don't work as hard, but that the culture is a little softer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:46 pm

This was one of my more memorable interviews. The partner who interviewed me kept saying that she doesn't have time for associates who make mistakes, and that she would fire them. I was like ".....okay."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Has anyone gotten an offer from schiff? If so, how long after the cb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten an offer from schiff? If so, how long after the cb?

I had a callback, but have not heard back yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten an offer from schiff? If so, how long after the cb?

I had a callback, but have not heard back yet

I do not know anyone who has gotten an offer there yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:43 pm

resurrecting this thread. i was offered a cb at schiff hardin, and the partner who did my screener described it to me in detail. to say the least, it sounded intense (~6 hours as opposed to ~2-3 hours for most other firms). can anyone who did it comment on how difficult & different from regular callback interviews it was?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 pm

i have the same question

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Apparently they cancelled their San Francisco summer program, for whatever it's worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm

I believe that Chicago just went back up to $160k, it had gone down to $145k for a moment there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

i'm probably going to schedule this cb late. oddly difficult cb + possibility of layoffs/below-market compensation = not exactly what i'm looking for...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:55 am

Stats for people with CBs?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:resurrecting this thread. i was offered a cb at schiff hardin, and the partner who did my screener described it to me in detail. to say the least, it sounded intense (~6 hours as opposed to ~2-3 hours for most other firms). can anyone who did it comment on how difficult & different from regular callback interviews it was?

whoa whoa whoa, the callback interview is 6 hours long?

Surely I'm misunderstanding something. How could the interview realistically be longer than 45 minutes?

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:resurrecting this thread. i was offered a cb at schiff hardin, and the partner who did my screener described it to me in detail. to say the least, it sounded intense (~6 hours as opposed to ~2-3 hours for most other firms). can anyone who did it comment on how difficult & different from regular callback interviews it was?

Surely I'm misunderstanding something. How could the interview realistically be longer than 45 minutes?

check their website. they're beginning a new CB format this year. instead of the usual meet and greet with partners and associates it will instead consist of a panel interview and a writing exercise. i was told by someone who works there that they initiated the new format because the old one wasn't giving them any new information about the applicants.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Z3RO wrote:

It sounds like you don't know what a callback is.

At a callback you often:

Take a tour
Meet with the recruiter
Meet with 2-3 associates individually
Meet with 2-3 partners individually
Go to lunch/dinner.

At most firms this takes 2-4 hours.

At Schiff they've added to that list:

A writing test
A panel interview with 3-5 partners.

This adds another 2 hours to their callback schedule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

blurbz wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

It sounds like you don't know what a callback is.

At a callback you often:

Take a tour
Meet with the recruiter
Meet with 2-3 associates individually
Meet with 2-3 partners individually
Go to lunch/dinner.

At most firms this takes 2-4 hours.

At Schiff they've added to that list:

A writing test
A panel interview with 3-5 partners.

This adds another 2 hours to their callback schedule.

I should not have bid them so highly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 pm

I actually give Schiff credit for doing this. I dont see anything wrong with talking to 3-4 folks at once, shows whether someone is good on their feet/has poise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually give Schiff credit for doing this. I dont see anything wrong with talking to 3-4 folks at once, shows whether someone is good on their feet/has poise.

anyone have any idea how long it takes them to give CBs after OCI screeners? The woman I met with said I would probably hear one way or the other by early next week (the interview was Thursday), but not sure whether that just meant if i'm rejected they won't drag it out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Had a screener with them more than a week ago, but less than two weeks. I thought it went particularly well. Alas, no CB... yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a screener with them more than a week ago, but less than two weeks. I thought it went particularly well. Alas, no CB... yet?

but no rejection means you're probably still in the running..especially since I've heard schiff sends it rejections by email, not snail mail. i also got the sense that schiff moves slower than some other chicago firms because of its size. i don't think they give a ton of CBs, so it may make sense that it takes them longer to go through all the people they met with during OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Some of my fellow students at my school got Schiff Chi snail mail dings at least a week ago, but silence in my direction. Assuming that means I'm still in the running since I've also not heard of anyone at my school getting a CB, either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:49 pm

how long after your screener did it take you to get the CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I had a Schiff callback and yes, it is a little bit (about an hour, maybe two) longer than other CBs, but it isn't as bad as some people think. From what I've gathered, the panel portion is the most important factor. The writing part is no big deal, anyone who can read a judicial opinion will be able to do it quickly. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but every CB has been tiring. This one was just more so.

Return to “Legal Employment”