Minneapolis Offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Minneapolis Offers?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callbacks at these firms are still going on. I have several this week.

Point being? If I had most of mine the week of the 10th, I guess I'd expect to hear one way or another from most. I head from one (it was good news . . . not an offer, but they eliminated candidates, did not make offers, and I am still under consideration), but I"d expect to hear from Dorsey, Faegre, Lindquist by now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Any news from the mid-size firms?

Do these firms generally take top 10% students from the MN schools, or do only larger firms shoot for top 10%?
Do you know their CB/offer ratios for the above?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:27 pm

dru617 wrote:to reiterate and expand upon my above plea, i am sitting on six minneapolis offers with top firms and could really use some help deciding from anyone with a decent familiarity with the market. i am not at a twin cities school, thus i don't have the insider knowledge that some of you presumably do. the sooner i can decide, the sooner five firms can make some additional offers, hopefully to some of you who are waiting; so, it's really a win-win. pm me if you're willing to discuss.

Dorsey is tops, with Faegre very close behind. Otherwise go Fredrikson & Byron if you want transactional or Briggs and Morgan if you want litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 pm

OP here--

Anyone receive word from GPM?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here--

Yes, offer received several weeks ago. Callback last week of August.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Where do you go to school out of curiosity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd rather not say specifically, but it's T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd rather not say specifically, but it's T14.

Fair enough. My sense is, that the T14s are getting the early offers and sort of waiting. I, myself am at a T25, top 10 %, seem to interview well. But I just wouldn't be surprised if this is how the firms operate.

Also worth noting, after doing a little research on it, is that the average attrition rate is roughly 40 % at most firms in the cities. So, if you are one worried about an offer my thoughts are that those of us that have interviewed but have not been rejected still stand a good chance.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dru617 wrote:to reiterate and expand upon my above plea, i am sitting on six minneapolis offers with top firms and could really use some help deciding from anyone with a decent familiarity with the market. i am not at a twin cities school, thus i don't have the insider knowledge that some of you presumably do. the sooner i can decide, the sooner five firms can make some additional offers, hopefully to some of you who are waiting; so, it's really a win-win. pm me if you're willing to discuss.

Dorsey is the cream of the crop in MN -- former VP Walter F. Mondale works there!
http://www.top-law-schools.com/walter-m ... rview.html

It is the hardest firm to get into in MN (based on their rank requirements, etc.)

Dorsey / Faegre are the two top firms in Minneapolis.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:14 am

Anyone get an offer from or hear from Oppenheimer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Dorsey / Faegre are the two top firms in Minneapolis.

Practicing associate in Minneapolis here. I agree that Dorsey and Faegre are the best full-service law firms in town. However, they have different strengths. If you're interested in, say, Securities Lit, Dorsey gets most of the high profile work in Minneapolis. If you're interested in products liability or IP, then Faegre is stronger. Check out Chambers & Partners to get a better feel for the market. I would recommend choosing a firm based on strength in the practice areas that interest you most, and then consider fit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dorsey / Faegre are the two top firms in Minneapolis.

Practicing associate in Minneapolis here. I agree that Dorsey and Faegre are the best full-service law firms in town. However, they have different strengths. If you're interested in, say, Securities Lit, Dorsey gets most of the high profile work in Minneapolis. If you're interested in products liability or IP, then Faegre is stronger. Check out Chambers & Partners to get a better feel for the market. I would recommend choosing a firm based on strength in the practice areas that interest you most, and then consider fit.

Practicing associate--

Can you provide any general input into a firm's SA process in Mpls. From what I hear, most firms follow similar practices. Any input you can provide would be terrific.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Ding after CB at Robins (came about a week after CB).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding after CB at Robins (came about a week after CB).

How did you feel your interview went? What are you numbers if you don't mind my asking.

My interview went well I feel, but I felt so tired at the beginning of the morning that my time with the managing partner seemed a little rough. It may have also been that they were just tough to read in the early interviews. I interviewed with them last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How did you feel your interview went? What are you numbers if you don't mind my asking.

My interview went well I feel, but I felt so tired at the beginning of the morning that my time with the managing partner seemed a little rough. It may have also been that they were just tough to read in the early interviews. I interviewed with them last week.

I thought my interview went average -- meaning, I did not gain any "points" but probably did not lose any either. But I figured that my stats were borderline, so I needed the interview to seal the deal (only thing it sealed was my tersely worded ding letter). I was ranked at 10% no LR and not UMN.

But I could tell by a few of the interviewers that they really were not too engaged or cared -- if you noticed that then you can probably expect a ding too. I also felt really tired even before I started, so I wonder if I came off as bored to them???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought my interview went average -- meaning, I did not gain any "points" but probably did not lose any either. But I figured that my stats were borderline, so I needed the interview to seal the deal (only thing it sealed was my tersely worded ding letter). I was ranked at 10% no LR and not UMN.

But I could tell by a few of the interviewers that they really were not too engaged or cared -- if you noticed that then you can probably expect a ding too. I also felt really tired even before I started, so I wonder if I came off as bored to them???

Well for me, it isn't that I don't think they cared, but a few of those I interviewed with try to see EVERY person that they interview. This means I had about 10-15 minutes with 2 of them, and they seemed to be looking at the clock an awful lot and thus less engaged. I thought really hit it off with the head of the summer program too, so who knows.

I am top 10 % at a T25, so we'll see. At least they get back quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well for me, it isn't that I don't think they cared, but a few of those I interviewed with try to see EVERY person that they interview. This means I had about 10-15 minutes with 2 of them, and they seemed to be looking at the clock an awful lot and thus less engaged. I thought really hit it off with the head of the summer program too, so who knows.

I am top 10 % at a T25, so we'll see. At least they get back quickly.

You have good stats, so you should do fine. Like I said, my interview was the deal breaker with my stats. I had full 30min with each I think, and about a 1hr lunch. Looks like they are trying to cram in more interviews now. But their hiring committee meets weekly, so you can expect a decision on Thursdays the week after your CB (if you are dinged, then it will be mailed Thursday; if you are accepted, you could conceivably get a call/email Thursday or Friday - but I wouldn't know!). Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Anyone hear from Oppenheimer?

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm a OL currently applying to law schools and with the ultimate goal of practicing/living in Minneapolis. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with the general insight into the job market and decisions regarding schools (IE for Minneapolis Biglaw go to MN with $ or a T14 like Michigan @ sticker?) Can communicate via PM if you don't want to out self.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 am

Unshake wrote:I'm a OL currently applying to law schools and with the ultimate goal of practicing/living in Minneapolis. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with the general insight into the job market and decisions regarding schools (IE for Minneapolis Biglaw go to MN with $ or a T14 like Michigan @ sticker?) Can communicate via PM if you don't want to out self.

OP here, now that I received an offer or two, I can give you some perspective I think.

I go to a T25 in the area, and I'm in the top 10-15 % of my class, on a well-known secondary journal (that . . . as I preface during my interviews I chose OVER LR).

I had multiple callbacks in Minneapolis. I recently received offers from the three largest firms in Minneapolis (you figure out which ones those are . . . I am being unreasonably cautious about disclosing information like this on websites even if I'm anonymous).

If you go to UMN or a T14, and you do well, you should have no problem getting a good job. I say this of course with the preface, that Minneapolis firms really do place a larger emphasis on personality fit in their law firm perhaps a bit more than firms in Chi or on the coasts. This can be your best friend (as it was mine) or your worst, depending on how you interview.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say that in a healthy economy, if you go to a T30 and are in the top 25% of your class with good leadership experience, etc., AND you can carry on a conversation like a normal person during interviews, then you should be golden.

As far as the economy is concerned, I think that Minneapolis has fared far better than Chicago or the coasts because the firms seem to be slightly slower to grow, and a little more cautions (this has its benefits and bad times, and its bad parts in bullish times of course).

Also, don't feel the need to go to UMN if you want to work in Minneapolis. Many of these firms regularly interview at similar schools (such as Iowa . . . which, according to my friends that go there had as many Minneapolis firms as UMN). As a matter of fact, it might be beneficial to go to a different school and display a commitment to living in Minneapolis--it probably makes you stand out from the crowd a little more than going to UMN where tons of people want to stick around (I am just assuming this since Minneapolis is such a lovable city).

Does this help at all?

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Unshake wrote:I'm a OL currently applying to law schools and with the ultimate goal of practicing/living in Minneapolis. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with the general insight into the job market and decisions regarding schools (IE for Minneapolis Biglaw go to MN with $ or a T14 like Michigan @ sticker?) Can communicate via PM if you don't want to out self.

OP here, now that I received an offer or two, I can give you some perspective I think.

I go to a T25 in the area, and I'm in the top 10-15 % of my class, on a well-known secondary journal (that . . . as I preface during my interviews I chose OVER LR).

I had multiple callbacks in Minneapolis. I recently received offers from the three largest firms in Minneapolis (you figure out which ones those are . . . I am being unreasonably cautious about disclosing information like this on websites even if I'm anonymous).

If you go to UMN or a T14, and you do well, you should have no problem getting a good job. I say this of course with the preface, that Minneapolis firms really do place a larger emphasis on personality fit in their law firm perhaps a bit more than firms in Chi or on the coasts. This can be your best friend (as it was mine) or your worst, depending on how you interview.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say that in a healthy economy, if you go to a T30 and are in the top 25% of your class with good leadership experience, etc., AND you can carry on a conversation like a normal person during interviews, then you should be golden.

As far as the economy is concerned, I think that Minneapolis has fared far better than Chicago or the coasts because the firms seem to be slightly slower to grow, and a little more cautions (this has its benefits and bad times, and its bad parts in bullish times of course).

Also, don't feel the need to go to UMN if you want to work in Minneapolis. Many of these firms regularly interview at similar schools (such as Iowa . . . which, according to my friends that go there had as many Minneapolis firms as UMN). As a matter of fact, it might be beneficial to go to a different school and display a commitment to living in Minneapolis--it probably makes you stand out from the crowd a little more than going to UMN where tons of people want to stick around (I am just assuming this since Minneapolis is such a lovable city).

Does this help at all?

Yes thanks for the input. I have strong ties to Minneapolis (lived there essentially my entire life) so that would not be a problem. You think I would be better going out of state (Iowa and maybe UW would likely be considerably cheaper that MN or Mich considering the cost of living and possible scholarship offer)? Essentially, I will be targeting the types of firms you got offers from. I interview well but am concerned by the limited number of "market" paying firms in Minneapolis.

Do you think the standards (class rank) are lower for say Michigan or Virginia than they would be for UMN or Iowa. For example, would say Dorsey (or another similar firm) consider a student in the top 33% at Michigan whereas they wouldn't consider someone a MN student beyond top 20%. Or is personality an enormous factor among Minneapolis firms?

Basically my line of thinking is that if I go to MN and finish somewhere in the top 25-40% I'll have 0 chance at biglaw, whereas if I'd go to a T14 school and finish at a similar ranking I would have a slim but >0 chance at some biglaw job possibly in Minneapolis (and if shut out elsewhere). It just seems like Minneapolis is such a small market one could get shut out fairly easily and if that is the case (despite it being my #1 choice by quite a margin) I would like to put myself in a position to have some sort of fall back. I know a couple of associates at 1 of the few big firms in Minneapolis (who have graduated in the last 2-3 years from MN) and they seem to feel pretty lucky for the position they are in.

If you'd be willing to PM more specifics that would nice as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:39 pm

I will PM (this is OP again) but I do not agree with your analysis about class rank. If you're in 20-35 % of class at UMN you should be fine. Remember, other regional schools in the area get their top students in to the big firms as well, and the caliber of that student is about the same as one from the top 33 % at UMN. Though "Summa Cum Laude" looks good on the online profile I suppose.

Anyway, I DO think they'd look more seriously at a lower ranked candidate from Michigan, and to a lesser degree Virginia. It is just simple business. Everyone knows Michigan is a great school. It looks good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will PM (this is OP again) but I do not agree with your analysis about class rank. If you're in 20-35 % of class at UMN you should be fine. Remember, other regional schools in the area get their top students in to the big firms as well, and the caliber of that student is about the same as one from the top 33 % at UMN. Though "Summa Cum Laude" looks good on the online profile I suppose.

Anyway, I DO think they'd look more seriously at a lower ranked candidate from Michigan, and to a lesser degree Virginia. It is just simple business. Everyone knows Michigan is a great school. It looks good.

This analysis probably reflects what you would expect of UMN, but it doesn't, unfortunately, reflect what actually happens. UMN students this year were highly unlikely to get an initial interview with a firm ANYWHERE without being in the top quartile (all the firms were listed as "Top 25% Preferred"). Yes, there are some lottery spots, but it goes without saying that you don't choose a school based on the hope of getting a lottery spot - and then a callback - and then an offer - not likely. I know some people who are well above the top quartile cutoff with few - if any - real prospects (i.e. a callback at a firm that is hiring more than four SAs). Speaking as someone at the very top of the class (and with solid 1l summer work experience), I do not have NEARLY the options I expected to have. I have some theories about why this is, but the bottom line is that UMN is not a sure bet for the Minneapolis market.

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I will PM (this is OP again) but I do not agree with your analysis about class rank. If you're in 20-35 % of class at UMN you should be fine. Remember, other regional schools in the area get their top students in to the big firms as well, and the caliber of that student is about the same as one from the top 33 % at UMN. Though "Summa Cum Laude" looks good on the online profile I suppose.

This analysis probably reflects what you would expect of UMN, but it doesn't, unfortunately, reflect what actually happens. UMN students this year were highly unlikely to get an initial interview with a firm ANYWHERE without being in the top quartile (all the firms were listed as "Top 25% Preferred"). Yes, there are some lottery spots, but it goes without saying that you don't choose a school based on the hope of getting a lottery spot - and then a callback - and then an offer - not likely. I know some people who are well above the top quartile cutoff with few - if any - real prospects (i.e. a callback at a firm that is hiring more than four SAs). Speaking as someone at the very top of the class (and with solid 1l summer work experience), I do not have NEARLY the options I expected to have. I have some theories about why this is, but the bottom line is that UMN is not a sure bet for the Minneapolis market.

Out of curiosity vaguely what options do you have (Clerkships, government work? Especially being the top of the class) and what are you theories as to why you don't have the options you expected? I am in UG and have no meaningful work experience which I feel hurts my overall application although I have entertained the idea of taking a year off and trying to find a firm job (even bitch work) since with family in Mpls I would have free housing and money wouldn't be a huge concern. So even if one wanted to ultimately land a firm job in Minneapolis you would recommend going to a better school if possible?

If you are a UMN student it would be nice to hear more about employment prospects of current students (via PM) and the general feeling about jobs and competitiveness academically. Do William Mitchell students tend to fair roughly as well as MN students as far as staying in Minneapolis?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Unshake wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Out of curiosity vaguely what options do you have (Clerkships, government work? Especially being the top of the class) and what are you theories as to why you don't have the options you expected? I am in UG and have no meaningful work experience which I feel hurts my overall application although I have entertained the idea of taking a year off and trying to find a firm job (even bitch work) since with family in Mpls I would have free housing and money wouldn't be a huge concern. So even if one wanted to ultimately land a firm job in Minneapolis you would recommend going to a better school if possible?

If you are a UMN student it would be nice to hear more about employment prospects of current students (via PM) and the general feeling about jobs and competitiveness academically. Do William Mitchell students tend to fair roughly as well as MN students as far as staying in Minneapolis?

I'll try to keep it brief: I'm a 2l so I'm not at the clerkship stage yet, but people I know who are top quartile (as I said, if you're aren't top quartile, you have no initial interviews) have less than a handful (1-5) callbacks (I have five, but two are not in Minneapolis but in big markets - I only know one other person with interviews outside the state). It's a little early to know about offers yet, but most of us would be thrilled with one. Granted, there may be people I don't know who are cleaning up, but it can't be because of GPA, since I doubt there are more than five students in my class with higher GPAs (the school doesn't tell us our class rank, but one interviewer asked me if I was the number 1 student in the class). It's possible that I (and my friends) just suck at interviewing, but I had multiple offers for employment for my 1l summer at small firms, so I can't be that bad. Also, I have solid prior work experience and solid ties to Minnesota.

I think there are a combination of factors in making opportunity less bountiful than expected. Small summer class sizes (2-15 SAs), too many law schools, competition from the top students at local schools, regional schools (Iowa and WI) and also from T14 Minnesota natives who want to return home (very typical that Minnesota people come back). Also, as some posters have suggested, firms here seem to care more about "a good fit" and less about raw data, making the process less predictable perhaps than other markets where they expect higher turnover (interestingly, a couple Minneapolis firms have more partners than associates - a very odd business model that gives you an idea of how they recruit); you see people with higher GPAs here getting dings and people with lower GPAs getting callbacks. Moreover, UMN (especially career services) does not appear to be in tune with the competitive job market. You see this play out in dumb ways (a computer error that drops the entire Minneapolis OCI interview schedule), but also in policies that seem to put UMN students at a disadvantage. For example, you can't grade onto law review, so you see a lot of people with top GPAs without law review. So an employer can choose between the UMN student with a 3.97 and no law review, the UMN student with a 3.5 and law review, or the student from school X who has a 3.97 AND law review - who gets picked? Stuff like that.

I don't mean to sound whiny, since I do like my school and think I'll get an offer and be fine and that most of us will be fine (though most of us at small firms), but I think you wanted an honest assessment of what I see on the ground (maybe other UMN students see it differently and would give you a different perspective). My advice would be to go to the best school you get into, because if you have Minneapolis ties you'll probably have a good chance of coming back, and if the unpredictability of the Minneapolis market hurts your efforts, you'll have options elsewhere.

Return to “Legal Employment”