Minneapolis Offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Minneapolis Offers?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 am

I have a couple questions for those of you on this thread (and forum generally) who have knowledge of/experience with the Minneapolis market...

(1) I'd like to hear (anonymously, of course) about your experiences working with any of the firms in the cities (Gray Plant, Dorsey, Lindquist, Faegre, Fredrikson, Robins Kaplan, etc.)... Any anecdotes from any of these places would be appreciated.

(2) I'd also like to hear from some people who know the market (but haven't necessarily worked for the firms in question) about the reputation of some of these firms--firm life, practice areas, general reputation, etc. (BTW, I know that Dorsey and Faegre are the biggest, obviously--I am interested in more nuanced info than that, especially with regard to some of the firms with around 200 lawyers... just anticipating the inevitable comments that Dorsey and Faegre are "the best.")

Supertme41

Postby Supertme41 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Anyone have any conclusive information or anecdote about placement in Minneapolis? By this I mean do students from
T14 schools place well to market paying firms (100-120k)? Compared to UMN law or William Mitchell? I was born and raised in the twin cities and attend UMN undergrad; I want to live in the metro area ultimately. However, I'm sporting a 3.94 GPA and am testing around 170-173 on the LSAT. As I start to make application decisions with the assumption that I would ultimately like to work in Minneapolis, is the top 14 a better bet than umn, assuming I can get in? I chose umn for undergrad because of cost and forewent several top schools, so I want to have the top tier academic experience if it's advised.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Supertme41 wrote:Anyone have any conclusive information or anecdote about placement in Minneapolis? By this I mean do students from
T14 schools place well to market paying firms (100-120k)? Compared to UMN law or William Mitchell? I was born and raised in the twin cities and attend UMN undergrad; I want to live in the metro area ultimately. However, I'm sporting a 3.94 GPA and am testing around 170-173 on the LSAT. As I start to make application decisions with the assumption that I would ultimately like to work in Minneapolis, is the top 14 a better bet than umn, assuming I can get in? I chose umn for undergrad because of cost and forewent several top schools, so I want to have the top tier academic experience if it's advised.

I am the same anonymous poster from a few posts up (top 20 school; top 15%; limited applications in MPLS; offer at market firm). I think that it would serve you well to look beyond Minneapolis for school. Because you have a strong connection to the area, it won't hurt you in the job hunt--and it likely will help somewhat to stick out a little bit vis-a-vis all the UMN students (the vast majority of whom are probably trying to stay in Minneapolis).

I must say, however, that that advice holds if "all else [is] equal." The fact of the matter is that all else is not equal. I am the last person to say you need to go to the highest ranked school you got into (I am currently attending the lowest ranked school I applied/got into). I think you should definitely consider things like personal fit and certainly scholarship money, especially ITE. But yes, I think that all else equal, it would probably help you slightly/somewhat to be at a higher-ranked school than UMN (partly because it's higher-ranked, partly because it is just different--you know, diversity and all that)... I mean, it only makes sense--how many 3.5-3.7s are they going to see from UMN? A lot. So my intuition is that they all kind of start to look the same somewhat. You can distinguish yourself by interviewing well, having a different school name on your resume, having sweet job experience, etc.

However, all of that being said, the most important thing in terms of getting the job you want in MPLS will be your grades, wherever you are... for better or for worse. The fact of the matter is that if you do well at UMN, you should be able to get a job. If you do well at somewhere higher-ranked, you should be in basically the same boat, except you will probably stand out a little easier.

Return to “Legal Employment”